PDA

View Full Version : The Sims on Windows 95

MadGamer
28-12-2003, 14:40
Hi all, my friend recently got a new PC for crimbo. Now she used to be able to run this game on ME. Now she can't get it to install on her new computer running on Windows 95. The problem she has is that the serial number that she enters is recognised by the game. Should she she get a new serial numver for the game?

Florence
28-12-2003, 14:44
Hi all, my friend recently got a new PC for crimbo. Now she used to be able to run this game on ME. Now she can't get it to install on her new computer running on Windows 95. The problem she has is that the serial number that she enters is recognised by the game. Should she she get a new serial numver for the game?
Why has the new PC got win 95 on its old and Microsoft are not releasing any patches or new drivers for win 95. She would be better to install ME again on this pc if that is what she has been using.

paulyoung666
28-12-2003, 16:36

new pc running win95 , nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , old pc running win 95 methinks , your friend is really gonna struggle running anything newish on that , mind you if it was my choice and the pc wont run xp then i would be looking to run 98 not me , me is the devils own work :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MadGamer
28-12-2003, 21:43
I think it was her choice

Gareth
31-12-2003, 10:22
Yeah, a 'new' PC running an 8-year-old OS is not really recommended. Whatever the specs of the puter, it should run Win 98 ...and if it doesn't, then she's been well and truly had :(

Personally, I'd upgrade the OS before thinking about anything else.

paulyoung666
31-12-2003, 10:51
Yeah, a 'new' PC running an 8-year-old OS is not really recommended. Whatever the specs of the puter, it should run Win 98 ...and if it doesn't, then she's been well and truly had :(

Personally, I'd upgrade the OS before thinking about anything else.

methinks there is summat not quite right here :(

MadGamer
31-12-2003, 11:01
Well it is an old PC from some years ago. it has Win 95, 48.0MB of ram and the game still won't run, because it says that windows is out of memory.

paulyoung666
31-12-2003, 13:15
Well it is an old PC from some years ago. it has Win 95, 48.0MB of ram and the game still won't run, because it says that windows is out of memory.

so its new old then is it , well theres your answer , if it is saying it is out of memory then it is out of memory , whats the minimun spec for the game ??????????? , that might give you a clue or two :shrug:

MadGamer
31-12-2003, 13:41
so its new old then is it , well theres your answer , if it is saying it is out of memory then it is out of memory , whats the minimun spec for the game ??????????? , that might give you a clue or two :shrug:

The Sims

Processor: 233MHZ
Memory: 32MB
Hard Drive: 300MB
CD Rom: 4 speed
Graphics: 2MB
Soind Card: Direct X 7.0 (Minimum)
Direct X: 7.0
Input: Keyboard/Mouse

Sociable
31-12-2003, 13:43
Sims can have issues on any system but will require win98 or ME as a min as far as the operating system goes despite claims to the contrary 95 will always struggle.

The other issues could be the CPU speed and video Ram but either way I doubt even upgrade to 98 or ME will help in this case given some relatively new systems still can't handle that game.

MadGamer
31-12-2003, 13:46
Sims can have issues on any system but will require win98 or ME as a min as far as the operating system goes despite claims to the contrary 95 will always struggle.

The other issues could be the CPU speed and video Ram but either way I doubt even upgrade to 98 or ME will help in this case given some relatively new systems still can't handle that game. C'mon Sociable you have the answer to everything.

Sociable
31-12-2003, 13:49
LOL I wish :)

But in this case I can remember all too well the hassle getting this game to run correctly for friends and relations.

It was a great and inovative game but not very multi system friendly largely because it was a bit ahead of its time I think.

Flubflow
31-12-2003, 14:47
Is it just the original Sims game or does it include any of the add-ons? With every Sims add-on the min spec requirements increased dramatically.

We (well the kids not me) used to run the original sims on a P233 with 64mb RAM (then later 128mb RAM) and a 4mb graphics card (up to the first couple of Sims add-ons). Now with ALL the Sims add-ons released to date it runs happily on a PIII-500, 192mb RAM, 64mb graphics card but even then it is jerkingly slow when there is lots of things on screen.

You could try looking at the virtual memory (swap file) settings in the control panel/system settings and making sure that you let windows manage it rather than using manual settings. Personally though, in the best of curcumstances with the system you describe, if it did run at all then I would expect it to be about as fast as a slug walking through treacle. For a kick off, dump 95 and put 98 on it (98 manages virtual memory better). Forget WinME, it is ****.

MadGamer
31-12-2003, 16:13
Is it just the original Sims game or does it include any of the add-ons? With every Sims add-on the min spec requirements increased dramatically.

We (well the kids not me) used to run the original sims on a P233 with 64mb RAM (then later 128mb RAM) and a 4mb graphics card (up to the first couple of Sims add-ons). Now with ALL the Sims add-ons released to date it runs happily on a PIII-500, 192mb RAM, 64mb graphics card but even then it is jerkingly slow when there is lots of things on screen.

You could try looking at the virtual memory (swap file) settings in the control panel/system settings and making sure that you let windows manage it rather than using manual settings. Personally though, in the best of curcumstances with the system you describe, if it did run at all then I would expect it to be about as fast as a slug walking through treacle. For a kick off, dump 95 and put 98 on it (98 manages virtual memory better). Forget WinME, it is ****. Windows 95 manages virtual memory automatically. Also she has only got a 1.95GB HDD . As with installing 98 all is well but then there is all the other programs to be put on. also 48.0MB of Ram is a joke. PS it The Sims and Livin Large

paulyoung666
31-12-2003, 16:18
Windows 95 manages virtual memory automatically. Also she has only got a 1.95GB HDD . As with installing 98 all is well but then there is all the other programs to be put on. also 48.0MB of Ram is a joke. PS it The Sims and Livin Large

give it up as a bad job mate , i cant ever see it happening im afraid :( , btw how much did this pc cost , if you know that is ????????? :)

Florence
31-12-2003, 16:32
They will need a bigger HDD and more memory and the more add ons they add the more they need. It does work well on a pc with this spec:

AMD 1400
128mb ram
40 gig HDD
Nvidia ti 400 graphics card ( ltd edition one not 100% now but sure its 400)
windows 98
On this machind she has all the SIMs plus all a lot of downloads. Runs well she wil play for hours on it.

MadGamer
31-12-2003, 16:33
give it up as a bad job mate , i cant ever see it happening im afraid :( , btw how much did this pc cost , if you know that is ????????? :) No i don't know how much the PC cost becaise it was given to her by a friend (not me).

Flubflow
31-12-2003, 16:46
Windows 95 manages virtual memory automatically. Also she has only got a 1.95GB HDD . As with installing 98 all is well but then there is all the other programs to be put on. also 48.0MB of Ram is a joke. PS it The Sims and Livin Large

Livin Large? Must be an import. It was called "Livin it Up" in the UK.

The spec in theory is.....
The Sims CD
Windows 95/98
233 MHz Pentium
32 MB RAM
300 MB hard drive space
4x CD-ROM Drive
2 MB video card

Take my word for it, you would be very lucky for it to run on the above spec without problems.
IMO I would have say 64mb RAM and a 4mb Video card is the minimum (plus more HD space) and even then you are chancing it.

Sometimes you get to a point where you have stretched things too far and you just have to draw the line. The system you want to run that game on is just not good enough in reality so either dump the game or dump the PC.

MadGamer
07-01-2004, 17:49
Right, who neg repped me on this thread? OWN UP NOW!!!!!!!!

paulyoung666
07-01-2004, 17:51
Right, who neg repped me on this thread? OWN UP NOW!!!!!!!!

as if they would , put it down to experience my mate , get yourself upto 100 and then you can play god like russ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: