PDA

View Full Version : Amstrad E-mailer

ICICLE65
27-12-2003, 18:53
Can anyone help me ? I have an Amstrad E-mailer and although there is the capability of entering a prefix required for the Ntl free phone calls(1263) which I believe I have successfully set up there doesn't seem to be any way of going through :-
1) my ntl dial-up adapter or
2) the e-mailer's dial-up configuration details

to get free access to the web due to its "fixed " dial-up to Amserve(the e-mailer's server)
Anyone know if is this possible to do ,can be done or has been done ?
Or if has been discussed before , please point me to the thread if possible

dilli-theclaw
27-12-2003, 20:11
I don't believe you can do this no.

Nidge
28-12-2003, 08:07
Can anyone help me ? I have an Amstrad E-mailer and although there is the capability of entering a prefix required for the Ntl free phone calls(1263) which I believe I have successfully set up there doesn't seem to be any way of going through :-
1) my ntl dial-up adapter or
2) the e-mailer's dial-up configuration details

to get free access to the web due to its "fixed " dial-up to Amserve(the e-mailer's server)
Anyone know if is this possible to do ,can be done or has been done ?
Or if has been discussed before , please point me to the thread if possible

I was looking at getting on of these last year till I saw how much they charge to send a Text Message.

ICICLE65
28-12-2003, 22:58
I guess no-one knows how then ! :-(((((( mega sad now
thanks anyway

Bugblatter
16-02-2004, 23:09
I guess no-one knows how then ! :-(((((( mega sad now
thanks anyway

I've just bought one of these. Seems great value at £30 for a slick high-tech bit of kit. However, when you read the small print, the hardware cost is subsidised by:

1. A compulsory call to the email server once per day, at 17p per call.
2. Compulsory ads.
3. Connection to internet has to be via Amserve, at 5p per minute.

I only bought it to get a cheap phone with an answering machine, after I saw the one my Mum bought.

Still it's the nearest thing to Minitel we have in the UK.

dilli-theclaw
16-02-2004, 23:19
I've just bought one of these. Seems great value at £30 for a slick high-tech bit of kit. However, when you read the small print, the hardware cost is subsidised by:

1. A compulsory call to the email server once per day, at 17p per call.
2. Compulsory ads.
3. Connection to internet has to be via Amserve, at 5p per minute.

I only bought it to get a cheap phone with an answering machine, after I saw the one my Mum bought.

Still it's the nearest thing to Minitel we have in the UK.
You can change it's compulsory call out to once a week.

I've disconnected mine and it's going in the bin on thursday.

Bugblatter
16-02-2004, 23:26
You can change it's compulsory call out to once a week.

Is that in the system menu somewhere?

dilli-theclaw
16-02-2004, 23:30
Is that in the system menu somewhere?
It's been a while since it was plugged in :( I'll plug it back in 2morro and find out where the setting is for you - then i'll post it.

I remember it was in the manual somewhere.

Bugblatter
16-02-2004, 23:34
It's been a while since it was plugged in :( I'll plug it back in 2morro and find out where the setting is for you - then i'll post it.

I remember it was in the manual somewhere.

Ah yes! RTFM (Read The Manual) Always a good piece of advice.:)

dilli-theclaw
16-02-2004, 23:35
Ah yes! RTFM (Read The Manual) Always a good piece of advice.:)
I don't normally bother myself - but it was such a big one :naughty:

zoombini
17-02-2004, 08:19
My dad has one of these, when I heard how much he has to pay for it I was amazed.

At 17p a day, I think its a rip off, I'm glad that you dais it can be set to dial out once a week instead, however even without the email side, he thinks its a good address book/answer phone thingy.

I'll point him to the manual, do you know which page tells you this fact?

Bugblatter
17-02-2004, 20:16
Right, page 133 of the manual entitled "Changing E-mail Collection"

1. Press Setup, 4 so that the display top line reads "SET UP - EMAIL"
2. Press 1 to select Manual or Polling.

The instructions don't really say anything about "manual" but I assume it means that you choose when to collect email. The maximum automatic email collection (polling) period is 24 hours.

dilli-theclaw
17-02-2004, 22:52
Check out the 2nd paragraph on page 71 of the manual.

'If manual collection is selected, however, the em@iler will poll only once a week'

So do what it says under changing email settings - jsut select manual polling and it will default to once a week. The other option 'polling' is where you can select various times to poll during the day - which you can change under 'polling period'

But if you have manual selected it will only check once a week.

If you have caller ID then the top right light will flash if you have an email anyway (If you enable this option)

And that - is that :)

Hope it helps a bit - I'm going to plug mine back in now - at least it's a nice big screen and tells me who's calling before I pick up.

zoombini
17-02-2004, 23:01
Ta, I will tell him about that.

Bugblatter
18-02-2004, 00:35
Check out the 2nd paragraph on page 71 of the manual.

'If manual collection is selected, however, the em@iler will poll only once a week'

So do what it says under changing email settings - jsut select manual polling and it will default to once a week. The other option 'polling' is where you can select various times to poll during the day - which you can change under 'polling period'

But if you have manual selected it will only check once a week.

If you have caller ID then the top right light will flash if you have an email anyway (If you enable this option)

And that - is that :)

Hope it helps a bit - I'm going to plug mine back in now - at least it's a nice big screen and tells me who's calling before I pick up.

Hmmm. They must have updated things since you got your machine. Page 71 in my manual is to do with text messages. Having read the manual carefully tonight, it seems that if you set the email collection to "manual", it will still make a call if you don't make a manual call for twenty four hours. I set mine to "manual" Monday night and sure enough, at 23:50 Tuesday night, it lit up and made a call to the email server. Looks like crafty Alan Sugar has removed the option to only collect once a week. I bet if you plug yours in, it will update the software and check for email every twenty four hours. Doh! :mad:

dilli-theclaw
18-02-2004, 07:17
My dad's only checks his once a week :confused:

So I don't know.

I'll know about mine later I guess :)

Just gotta find space on my desk for it - not easy with three screens on there already :naughty:

altis
19-02-2004, 16:55
Amstrad have just started to make a profit on these:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/35667.html

dilli-theclaw
19-02-2004, 17:45
Amstrad have just started to make a profit on these:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/35667.html
I wonder what the '3rd Generation' one will be like :D

Bugblatter
19-02-2004, 23:29
I wonder what the '3rd Generation' one will be like :D

Colour screen probably. Maybe smaller. Maybe better browser. Who knows? :zzz:

danielf
19-02-2004, 23:41
Colour screen probably. Maybe smaller. Maybe better browser. Who knows? :zzz:

From reading this thread, I get the impression you guys don't recommend I rush out to buy one? ;)