PDA

View Full Version : NTL : "I'm Happy" :)

Mick The Gwailo
30-06-2003, 19:28
Probably not the right place to PRAISE NTL, but I am happy
with 'em :)

56k Dial-up has connected FIRST TIME for as long as I
can remember, now :)

I regularly get 44,000 - 45,333 connection, sometimes 48,000
late evening on :D .... ic24 / Virgin varied 31,666 - 42,666 MAX :(

DIS-connections also seem fewer and far-er between :)

and .... apart from the occasional 20-30 minute
period late at night when "The Computer You Are Dialling Didn't
Answer! .... (Maintenance, maybe) .... the only other message I've
had is "Logging on to network" ...
Download Failed (1)

Martin
04-07-2003, 00:06
I used to connect at 38,000 when i was on dial up. Used to always connect first time. My biggest pet annoyance was the 2hr cut off. I've been on BB 12 months now so things have remained ok i see.:)

quadplay
04-07-2003, 00:53
I've been forced onto freedom whilst waiting for someone to dig up the A road outside my house to lay a new pipe (long story, don't ask!), and have to say it's been pretty constant connections of 46-48k, with one or two at 52k!

ntlrebel
04-07-2003, 00:55
Freedom. Isn' t that a George Michael song. :D

BubbleGum
08-07-2003, 16:39
Originally posted by Mick The Gwailo
Probably not the right place to PRAISE NTL, but I am happy
with 'em :)

56k Dial-up has connected FIRST TIME for as long as I
can remember, now :)

I regularly get 44,000 - 45,333 connection, sometimes 48,000
late evening on :D .... ic24 / Virgin varied 31,666 - 42,666 MAX :(

DIS-connections also seem fewer and far-er between :)

and .... apart from the occasional 20-30 minute
period late at night when "The Computer You Are Dialling Didn't
Answer! .... (Maintenance, maybe) .... the only other message I've
had is "Logging on to network" ...
http://posts.cutting-room-floor.com/YaBBimages/3461546.gif
It's easy to be happy with dialup because the service is so out of date that nobody expects anything great from it. Get broadband and live life in the fast lane :p Dialup should be outlawed :rofl:

Russ
08-07-2003, 16:49
If ever there was an award for the most number of smilies in a post, I think I know who would walk it :D

Actually I'm moving on saturday and NTL will be installing that day, let's see how they do...

MikeyB
08-07-2003, 17:01
Yes, I've been very happy with the dial-up service. There was a period, not long after it went totally free I think, that it would be a nightmare to connect to, some evening would take 15-20 attempts!!!

Mine normally connects at 50.6K, but now & then goes up to a super 52K :)
Now & then it will connect at something like 36K, get confused & disconnect itself :rolleyes:

But I am so close to getting 600K BB, I really really want it, just trying to convince myself its worth the extra £15 a month!

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2003, 17:02
Originally posted by Russ D
Actually I'm moving on saturday and NTL will be installing that day, let's see how they do...

:eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

Where are the men in white coats? :D

Dave Stones
08-07-2003, 17:19
Originally posted by MikeyB
Yes, I've been very happy with the dial-up service. There was a period, not long after it went totally free I think, that it would be a nightmare to connect to, some evening would take 15-20 attempts!!!

Mine normally connects at 50.6K, but now & then goes up to a super 52K :)
Now & then it will connect at something like 36K, get confused & disconnect itself :rolleyes:

But I am so close to getting 600K BB, I really really want it, just trying to convince myself its worth the extra £15 a month!

mine connects without fail at 48000 + bps.

once it even reached 56000bps i was so surprised by this i took a screenshot... to date i have not had any similar high speeds...

and my family refuse to have anything faster than 56k :mad: :mad:

*wants new parents

dieselglider
09-07-2003, 18:24
I'm more than happy with ntldialup via a bt line. I use dun to connect, usually using the 0808# rather than the 0800 one as I find it a little more stable.
I've only been with ntl for about 2 months now, but so far it's the beesknees for getting connected first go and with seemingly no limits. Although I tend to only use around 80-100 hours a month. :o)

Gogogo
09-07-2003, 18:55
The dial up connexion is quite good, handshake first time every time and even the e-mail situation has improved lately. An achievement for ntl.

:wavey:

rippedoff
10-07-2003, 14:48
Originally posted by Bluetack
It's easy to be happy with dialup because the service is so out of date that nobody expects anything great from it. Get broadband and live life in the fast lane :p Dialup should be outlawed :rofl:

Oh yes.... typical from you..... I'm all right Jack, f**k the rest of you. It may have escaped your notice, but BB is not available to a large number of ntl: customers, and we are stuck with dial-up unless we choose to move to a Sky/BT combination for our services.
:mad:

kronas
10-07-2003, 15:30
Originally posted by rippedoff
Oh yes.... typical from you..... I'm all right Jack, f**k the rest of you. It may have escaped your notice, but BB is not available to a large number of ntl: customers, and we are stuck with dial-up unless we choose to move to a Sky/BT combination for our services.
:mad:

so why not move to bt for broadband i would if i did not have the choice of NTL BB which is rock solid for service uptime speeds :D :D :D

Gogogo
10-07-2003, 16:04
Admin Edit:-Personal Remark removed - Please do not argue on the forums.

Chris
10-07-2003, 16:43
Why is it that I browse from thread to thread and yet seem to find myself reading the same spiteful nonsense over and over again?

I wish some folks would calm down a bit and enjoy the discussion, instead of taking every point of view contrary to their own as a personal insult.

I'm far from perfect but I hope I don't beat people up every time someone disagrees with me ... :(

Russ
13-07-2003, 08:49
My install yesterday went fine. The engineer, although sporting questionable personal hygiene seemed to know what he was doing. Apparently he's the leader of one of NTL's Counter-Strike clans, or so he said. :)

Anyway, I normally have all the channels but so far I'm still stuck on the base pack, NTL reckon they'll be on within 24 hours of the install. OK so that's this afternoon but going on NTL's track record, what are the odds on my still not having the channels I want by the end of today??

Martin
13-07-2003, 15:44
The engineer, although sporting questionable personal hygiene

LOL Thats quote of the week.:p

Hope your channels turn up mate but I have this strong doubt you'll be on the phone to them soon.:rolleyes: Though there is a first for everything.

Russ
13-07-2003, 16:06
We had to keep the windows open for half an hour afterwards.... :(

Ntsmellworld or what.....

Russ
14-07-2003, 20:29
Anyway, my channels STILL have not come back on ("You'll get them within 24 hours? Well done again NTL....) so I phoned CS and spoke to 'John' in Cardiff who was very helpful and professional, but at the end of the day, due to a 'computer glitch' I'm still looking at another 24 hours...... :grind:

grum1978
14-07-2003, 20:33
Anyway, my channels STILL have not come back on ("You'll get them within 24 hours? Well done again NTL....) so I phoned CS and spoke to 'John' in Cardiff who was very helpful and professional, but at the end of the day, due to a 'computer glitch' I'm still looking at another 24 hours...... :grind:

Go and enjoy the weather and forget about your tv channels :)

Lord Nikon
15-07-2003, 09:06
Russ, it's a small point, but sometimes you can "persuade" the hit to go through a little faster believe it or not by initiating a STB Reset. I think this is because when the box is reset it polls for updates and can occasionally request its own hit.

when I had trouble and was waiting for a channel activate hit I found that by resetting the box it came on with the channels a lot faster (same for the broadband hit)

Stephen Robb
20-07-2003, 14:18

Nice to see a ntl: worker getting stuffed for a change! At least you now know how we feel when we have the same problems!!

Stuart
20-07-2003, 14:31
Originally posted by Stephen Robb
Nice to see a ntl: worker getting stuffed for a change! At least you now know how we feel when we have the same problems!!

Russ WAS an NTL employee. He isn't now..