PDA

View Full Version : Well brassed off! Loss of sound on Sky 1.

David
30-06-2003, 18:00
Just thought I would try and keep this alive until the issue is resolved. :( :( :(

albone
30-06-2003, 18:42
Hi there David, we in bedford have had some problems too (see the thread sky 1 problems?) It would appear they have had problems as you will see hope it answers your query. :wavey:

Rojo Habe
30-06-2003, 19:19
David

Do you have a permanent sound loss on this channel or is it intermittent?

Graham
01-07-2003, 01:46
I've occasionally suffered sound loss problems, but usually just switching to another channel then switching back sorts it out.

Once I did need to do an stb "reboot" (ie switch off and back on) to restore it and on one other occasion it was a "network fault" or some such.

David
01-07-2003, 08:23
This is a lengthy thread on www.nthellworld.com (Hope I can say that). While tuned to a channel sound is suddenly lost. It generally occurs between adverts, mostly on Sky 1, but other channels as well. Changing channels always fixes the problem.

The latest from the thread is that it is due to some sort of timing error. I think a patch has been produced but is undergoing testing at present, to ensure that it does not cause problems of its own.

Since this site is taking over the mantle from the original site I wanted to make sure that this issue does not get forgotten about.

David

David
07-01-2004, 13:50
Anyone have any update on this now ?

Usually happens one or two times a week to me now.

Maggy
07-01-2004, 15:00
Anyone have any update on this now ?

Usually happens one or two times a week to me now.

Well since they closed NTHW.com down the answer must be no unless the person who was investigating actually visits this site too.

Incog. :)

asdf
07-01-2004, 15:12
Was it Steve O?

If so, he visits this site too :)

Dean Ashton
07-01-2004, 18:31
It was Steve O who seemed clued up about this issue, and the other one to do with widescreen switching on E4 (and a few other channels).

If you're here, Steve, any chance of an update as to how the fixes are coming along?

Cheers,
Dean

Tristan
07-01-2004, 18:44
There you go Proppin', you "seem clued up". I should hope so too! ;)

Dean: no offense meant.

Dean Ashton
07-01-2004, 19:02
Dean: no offense meant.

None taken, mate :)

Dean

Proppinupthebar
10-01-2004, 18:40
Sorry all. Been back in Gods own county visiting family and generally Proppinupbars for the last two weeks. The sound dropouts which occurred during advert breaks on certain channels should hopefully have been cured. Unfortunately the intermittent nature of the problem means that confirming it has been fixed is difficult. Nigel S has set up 20 STBs which he is monitoring. If the fix is not succesful then Nigel has also looked at a STB software fix.
Fixes for the E4 issue have also been developed. They should be included in the next code download. BEFORE ANYONE ASKS I HAVE NO DATES.

Nutty
10-01-2004, 22:37
Sounds promising.

Can I enquire as to how big ntl's STB software team is?

jemnery
11-01-2004, 13:57
I had this problem - when I complained to NTL they replaced my STB. No sound loss since. The engineer said it was a problem with a batch of Pace boxes. He called them "phase 2" I think, and replaced mine with a "phase 3" - he'd had the same problem himself at home.

HTH

Proppinupthebar
11-01-2004, 16:20
I had this problem - when I complained to NTL they replaced my STB. No sound loss since. The engineer said it was a problem with a batch of Pace boxes. He called them "phase 2" I think, and replaced mine with a "phase 3" - he'd had the same problem himself at home.

HTH

You probably got a 4010 (on Langley) or a 4000 (on Bromley) as your replacement. They do not seem to be affected.
As for the software team, its not really an ntl one. Its more Pace/Liberate. People like Nigel S deal directly with Pace in reporting bugs and testing fixes. Nigel is very much a software person tho.

Dean Ashton
11-01-2004, 18:31
Thanks for the info. Presumably these fixes will be applied to the CR3 (or whatever it's called) software release too? Be a shame when (if?) we get a new release of stuff only to find old bugs resurfacing.. :)

Dean

Proppinupthebar
11-01-2004, 18:50
The Langley equivelent to CR3 should include the fix for the E4/Film4 widescreen issue.