PDA

View Full Version : Merged:ntl community launch.

Jamie
30-06-2003, 15:41
Tomorrow is the day of change for the .com site - 'community' launching and the ntl areas on .com closing. I bet it will all go tits up and some people will have egg on their faces:p

Enterian
30-06-2003, 15:46
Nah, this is for NTL's benefit, no-one elses, they'll make DAMN SURE it works.

Ben
30-06-2003, 15:49
Originally posted by Jamie
Tomorrow is the day of change for the .com site - 'community' launching and the ntl areas on .com closing. I bet it will all go tits up and some people will have egg on their faces:p

something will go wrong no doubt. :rolleyes: In all honesty I wish community a good life :) Lets hope NTL have some decent enough plans for it.

Enterian
30-06-2003, 15:51
Even if 'community' doesn't work, you can guarantee the .com forums will be deleted.

Enterian

Jamie
Originally posted by Gandalf
In all honesty I wish community a good life :)
So do I Gandalf - I wish them a good but short life after they panic when the first "what the feck is wrong with the email servers" thread gets posted or the "stick your broadband cap up your arse" threads go on there:D

kronas
Originally posted by Andre
Like all their other 'products' you mean!? :p

cant fault there broadband service i think they will make it work WHEN its up and running :p

Steve H
30-06-2003, 15:56
Originally posted by Enterian
Even if 'community' doesn't work, you can guarantee the .com forums will be deleted.

Enterian

You can guarantee it?.. The .com forums arent going to be deleted, Yes, It looks like half of them are, but thats not all of em.

Enterian
30-06-2003, 15:56
Originally posted by Andre
Like all their other 'products' you mean!? :p

You need to ask yourself what NTL's priority is tomorrow, getting 'community' up or getting rid of the NTL forums on .com.

I think I know, and I'm predicting a 100% success (if only in NTL's opinion)

Enterian
30-06-2003, 15:58
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
You can guarantee it?.. The .com forums arent going to be deleted, Yes, It looks like half of them are, but thats not all of em.

They're the ones i meant, I've no interest in the others.

th'engineer
30-06-2003, 16:36
They will be running late we are talking NTL here

Chris
30-06-2003, 16:38
If it works, Community should be a useful extra service, but I'm under no illusion that ntl:community will simply port nthw.com's ntl threads across and continue with business as usual. There's no chance of that. I fully expect to see new threads opened by users to post technical questions, answers posted by techs and the threads promptly locked allowing no room for discussion. In the case of email or cap threads, I expect we will see them answered by someone posting a bland policy statement and then locking the thread.

I have been following the relevant thread on nthw.com and it seems to have degenerated into a row between the admins who seem to be roundly peeved off at being sidelined and certain of the CLTs who are now pushing the company line on this.

It appears attempts by some of the admins to get a role in ntl:community have been rebuffed with unconvincing excuses by ntl, who meanwhile are apparently making things up as they go along as regards who will be allowed to post 'for' ntl on the site. Having said originally only senior support desk techs would be posting, the CLTs will now apparently have some 'unofficial' role, whatever that means.

It's a mess, but I'm not to bothered; I live here now. :)

Jamie
30-06-2003, 16:40
Originally posted by th'engineer
They will be running late we are talking NTL here
Buses and trains "run late" - NTL walks at their own pace:p

Ben
30-06-2003, 16:48
Buses and trains "run late" - NTL walks at their own pace:p

dont you mean crawls :p

Shaun
30-06-2003, 16:48
Originally posted by towny
It's a mess, but I'm not to bothered; I live here now. :)

It is being organised by Nth afterall!!

I have a feeling that community will be late opening but the .com site will be gon by midnight!!

Also have you seen this site?

http://www.ntlcommunity.com/

.com says that it's nothing to do with Ntl!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jamie
30-06-2003, 16:52
Originally posted by dellwear

That site is owned by a kid - good luck to him:)

Jules
30-06-2003, 16:52
There are so many of them I am getting confused :( I am sure some thing will go wrong when it launches

Shaun
30-06-2003, 16:58
That site is owned by a kid - good luck to him:)

From the Wirall!!!!!;)

Chris
30-06-2003, 17:00
From the Wirall!!!!!;)

Oi, people from Wirral are capable of being creative y'know ... I'm only in exile dahn sahth, but the prettier side of the Mersey is in my blood ... ;)

Shaun
30-06-2003, 17:40
From the Wirall!!!!!;)

Oh I know, but I smell a scam:p

Gogogo
01-07-2003, 07:42
Well it's the 1st July and no sign of the new site provided by ntl for customers, so where is it?

:wavey:

marcsparks2002
01-07-2003, 07:51
according to cj this is the addy ? http://community.ntl.com/
more bs i suspect

patrickp
01-07-2003, 08:10
LOL! You just have to get past this keep out sign - see attached.

Tried my ntl username and password, no go!

marcsparks2002
01-07-2003, 08:29
likewise tried my ntl name no go so how do we get in ............as if i really cared anyway lol

Gogogo
01-07-2003, 09:47
Why do I think this is typical of ntl. Promises to get the new community site up and running this morning then they put a keep out sign on it clearly, don't want to let the customers in do they! what a bunch of useless twirps!

:eek:

Dave Stones
01-07-2003, 10:01
and there i was thinking this new site would havea midnight launch... :rolleyes:

give it another few months shall we? :P

after all it did take them 4 years to get my street cabled after the promised date ;)

Steve H
01-07-2003, 10:16
Originally posted by marcsparks2002
likewise tried my ntl name no go so how do we get in ............as if i really cared anyway lol

:rolleyes:

Didnt you notice the "NTL authorised Personall only"?

Are you a Authorised Personall?.. If Not, then of course your username and pass wont work. Its obviousley still under development, and being updated.. Therefore only NTL Personall can get in, to test etc..

Its pretty hard to meet deadlines when it comes to constructing a whole site.

Richard M
01-07-2003, 10:30

Really? :p

The Diplomat
01-07-2003, 11:00
Originally posted by Roger K

lmao :D

Gogogo
01-07-2003, 11:18

Quote from Craig J on .com site early this morning:

The date for the official site is today (Tuesday July 1st)

Evidently, he didn't think it was difficult. Given the resources that ntl has it should not be difficult to construct a site.

:eek:

Steve H
01-07-2003, 11:23

Referring to this site there?

Not Hard when its a carbon copy.

Richard M
01-07-2003, 11:27
Referring to this site there?

Not Hard when its a carbon copy.

The only thing like .com is the overall look but that's where the similarity ends.
The entire site was written from scratch.

Chris
01-07-2003, 11:39
So here we are, 1st July 2003, 11.30 in the morning, and where is ntl community? Hiding behind an 'authorised users only' login dialogue box. Nice one ntl. Well they're nothing if not consistent. And nthw.com's ntl threads are all still open, but for how much longer?

As usual, ntl rushes out a badly-planned announcement for a flakey new product which then fails to turn up on time.

Meanwhile, matty4donna's ntlcommunity.com site has attracted 15 members but throws up server error messages as often as it gives you the page you click on. Nice try, matty...

This could only happen in the UK where we love a good farce. :rofl:

The Diplomat
01-07-2003, 11:51
<snip>
This could only happen in the UK where we love a good farce. :rofl:

Don't we just - why do we keep coming back for more, that's what I can't understand.:confused:

Maybe it's connected to our love of queueing, moaning etc. ;)

Steve H
01-07-2003, 12:09
The only thing like .com is the overall look but that's where the similarity ends.
The entire site was written from scratch.

Yeah, Im sure you've done a great job on the programming side.. I havnt had any errors or anything, So n1.. But I was on about the designing aspect, Maybe its not exactly the same, But its pretty similar, I dont blame you.. As you wanted to keep the atmousphere the same..

marcsparks2002
01-07-2003, 12:10

Didnt you notice the "NTL authorised Personall only"?

Are you a Authorised Personall?.. If Not, then of course your username and pass wont work. Its obviousley still under development, and being updated.. Therefore only NTL Personall can get in, to test etc..

steve if its authorised personnel only then why the hell bother having the url accesible they had just as well left it down until it was ready :rolleyes:

mat1t
01-07-2003, 12:19
coz it takes 24 hours to do a full DNS refresh around the globe (and most of NTL's network as well) so the URL will want to be registered properly before the site goes live. Some nice "welcome but go away until we're ready" would have been nice tho!

M@

Emperordalek
01-07-2003, 12:20
Where did the 1st July date actually come from. According to the blurb on the .com site it just states the following:

†¢ New website called ntl Community - will serve as the definitive source of product advice, news and technical support. Launches in July.

Doesn't say what date or indeed what year!

Steve H
01-07-2003, 12:22
Originally posted by Emperordalek
Where did the 1st July date actually come from. According to the blurb on the .com site it just states the following:

†¢ New website called ntl Community - will serve as the definitive source of product advice, news and technical support. Launches in July.

Im fairly sure the Mods at Nthw.com were informed, and duly told us.

Steve H
01-07-2003, 12:23
steve if its authorised personnel only then why the hell bother having the url accesible they had just as well left it down until it was ready :rolleyes:

Like Matt said.

And, They want to see what it looks like on the web, they need to check it out, check its fully functional :sleep:

marcsparks2002
01-07-2003, 12:25

Like Matt said.

And, They want to see what it looks like on the web, they need to check it out, check its fully functional :sleep:

:D :D :D well that blew up in there faces then didnt it :D

Gogogo
01-07-2003, 12:25
Originally posted by Emperordalek

This was posted by Craig J early this morning on the .com site:

The date for the official site is today (Tuesday July 1st)

:spin:

marcsparks2002
01-07-2003, 12:39
Just been reading through similar thing on .com and what i find highly amuzing is the fact that the "unoffical" community site has actualy launched before the legit community site,although it seems a lot of people are having there usernames cloned and registered there,Mind you i suppose its another site ntl could buy and silence.

MovedGoalPosts
01-07-2003, 13:00
Presumably, whenever the new community site is ready for use, ntl will make the fact public.

Of couse I'm being cynical, but ntl have learnt from their past mistakes over failure to tell users about the cap, so this time we'll be individually told everything.As they see it as an enhancement, they will probably tell us all about it, no doubt by changes to the ntlworld website, and even, dare I say it, email to individuals!
:D

th'engineer
01-07-2003, 13:02
Has anyone got any jump leads think they are needed to get it started.
Its either that or the matches are wet

Ramrod
01-07-2003, 13:43
It is being organised by Nth afterall!!

I have a feeling that community will be late opening but the .com site will be gon by midnight!!

I'm confused as well, what is it then, why is it in existence?

{FU}Fubar
01-07-2003, 13:50
Originally posted by Ramrod

it was setup by a NTL customer and has nothing todo with NTL least they launched when they said they would LOL

Chris
01-07-2003, 14:02

AFAIK it's Matty4Donna, who is a member both here and at .com, who has set it up. I have no idea what he's up to, except perhaps a bit of mischief-making. I signed up at ntlcommunity this morning out of curiosity but I don't think I'll be posting there; I don't see that it adds anything.

Ramrod
01-07-2003, 14:03
Originally posted by {FU}Fubar
it was setup by a NTL customer and has nothing todo with NTL least they launched when they said they would LOL
Ah cr*p, I fell for that one and signed up :( .
Thought it was slightly odd that it wasn't being hosted by ntl, thought that they had contracted out for that....must engage brain before doing things......:D
Hope that there's no dodgy comeback from signing up there...spam etc

Chris
01-07-2003, 14:14

Hope that there's no dodgy comeback from signing up there...spam etc

Click 'hide email address' in that forum's email settings option, and then change the email addy you registered with to a 'junk' one if you have it (I have always kept a spare ntlworld addy for such purposes).

That oughta do it...

Ramrod
01-07-2003, 14:23
Click 'hide email address' in that forum's email settings option, and then change the email addy you registered with to a 'junk' one if you have it (I have always kept a spare ntlworld addy for such purposes).

That oughta do it...
cheers....hopefully there is no malicious intent over there

Chris
01-07-2003, 14:28
cheers....hopefully there is no malicious intent over there

No, I've no reson to think he's up to anything nasty, just putting one over ntl. And who wouldn't, given the chance ... :p

th'engineer
01-07-2003, 15:03
New sites are being launched all over the place it must be NTLs worst Nightmare .

Ramrod
01-07-2003, 15:26
Originally posted by th'engineer
New sites are being launched all over the place it must be NTLs worst Nightmare . :batty: :devsmoke: :rofl: :D

beardsley
01-07-2003, 15:27
My theory...

They put a .htaccess on the site while it was being developed. Now that they want to launch the site, the one guy who knows how to remove it is on holiday. Normal service will be resumed when he returns.

MovedGoalPosts
01-07-2003, 15:35
Originally posted by beardsley
My theory...

They put a .htaccess on the site while it was being developed. Now that they want to launch the site, the one guy who knows how to remove it is on holiday. Normal service will be resumed when he returns.

Can somebody pay the chap to stay on holiday so the service is remains abnormal, i.e. probably improved, it's much more interesting that way :p

poolking
01-07-2003, 16:19
I think I'll pass on the unofficial community site. :D

Shaun
01-07-2003, 16:26
Originally posted by beardsley
My theory...

:D :D :D

bigitup_j
01-07-2003, 16:47
maybe it will launch ar 5pm, or 6pm or 11:59:59 pm!

we don't know. but will launch, ntl themselves said that it would launch today.

Marge
01-07-2003, 17:20
Well, looks like the site is now open...................eventually.....

matty4donna
01-07-2003, 17:27
Do not worry i don't intend the new unofficial site to be mallicious, i merely intend it to be a place for discussion about ntl:

I love nthellworld.co.uk and i visit here lots of times during the day, i think it is a great place. I hope all the sites can work together to force ntl: to provide better services. Already i have helped some guys here at nthw.co.uk and they have helped me. :)

poolking
01-07-2003, 17:45
Well the forum is still under development.

Just noticed a typo on the main page, according to the article headline about the 6 new sky channels ntl, the service is now called ntl:homee. :D

{FU}Fubar
01-07-2003, 17:50
Originally posted by matty4donna
Do not worry i don't intend the new unofficial site to be mallicious, i merely intend it to be a place for discussion about ntl:

I love nthellworld.co.uk and i visit here lots of times during the day, i think it is a great place. I hope all the sites can work together to force ntl: to provide better services. Already i have helped some guys here at nthw.co.uk and they have helped me. :)

if u get chance pop to the .com site and see ashg responce ...... least your site will still allow what .com and this site does :)

marcsparks2002
01-07-2003, 18:07
what a crock of shite the community site is maybe they will never learn:D

Ben
01-07-2003, 18:51
Such a great site with no forums :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shaun
01-07-2003, 18:55
Originally posted by poolking
Well the forum is still under development.

Just noticed a typo on the main page, according to the article headline about the 6 new sky channels ntl, the service is now called ntl:homee. :D

Rushed :rolleyes:

matty4donna
01-07-2003, 19:05
Its rushed yet they have been planning it for months. Whats so hard about getting a forum running? :rolleyes:

poolking
01-07-2003, 19:06
Originally posted by matty4donna
Its rushed yet they have been planning it for months. Whats so hard about getting a forum running? :rolleyes:

Probably they haven't got that many ntl related topics? :D

Gogogo
01-07-2003, 19:09
what a crock of ***** the community site is maybe they will never learn:D

Sorry to disagree but I have to say the new community-ntl site is nicely presented. I think it's good that ntl has now responded with what will be for customers a useful and helpful site, so I think some progress has been made. but clearly there remains a role for this site as an independent site.

Chris
01-07-2003, 21:18
The site is well presented but the first Knowledge Base item I looked at is a pile of pants:

http://community.ntl.com/kb/index.php?op=view&t=166

describes how to fix a problem that might arise if an Apple Mac fails to communicate properly with the DHCP server. I know this means little to most of you guys, but to any Mac user the article's complete failure to acknowledge that their proposed 'fix' is for OS 9 only (system control panels are handled differently in OS X) renders the thing somewhat useless.

Additionally, the opening sentence:

If your IP address is in the range 169.254.xxx.xxx, then this indicates that the DHCP client in the computer failed to contact a local DHCP server. It has automatically assigned a private IP address in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range. With such an address, you will not be able to access the Internet.

Might as well read:

If you can read this page, you don't have a problem. If you have a problem, you can't read this page. So settle down with a good book and join the on-hold queue...

Other than that, it looks fine ... although the lack of a Forum tends to suggest that the site has been rushed out to try to quell speculation and criticism.

Moox
01-07-2003, 21:25
Give it time it's early days yet & don't forget that Frank is behind it ;) It's his baby with a small amount of help from NTL:D

Dave Stones
01-07-2003, 22:06
ok so its launched... love the news quote on .com tho that says you have to continue using hteir forums for the next few weeks :D

Chris
01-07-2003, 22:09
Originally posted by Dave Stones
ok so its launched... love the news quote on .com tho that says you have to continue using hteir forums for the next few weeks :D

A stay of execution.

And victory for all those who voted 1st July as BS day in the poll.

Sir Entiellot
01-07-2003, 22:14
Originally posted by Goldie
Give it time it's early days yet & don't forget that Frank is behind it ;) It's his baby with a small amount of help from NTL:D

Personal comments removed by Andre, please don't make remarks like that about people on the forums, thanks you.

Frank
02-07-2003, 01:32
Originally posted by Sir Entiellot
Come on...... Frank had an army (Erolz excluded) behind him, he NEVER finished ANYTHING in time. How about his University Degree? no,no,no didn't get it.
I think you need to get your facts straight mate. Firstly, you know jack shit about me.

Secondly, I've finished lots of things on time given realistic deadlines to meet, as has everyone sometime in their life.

Thirdly, what you saw today was not what I intended to go live - I was not even IN work today and ntl obviously decided to put live as much of the site as they could without me, probably because a date had already been promised. If you are not happy with what you saw today as a finished article, well then I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere to aportion the blame because I wasn't even there.

Fourth, I deferred my University degree before the end for my own personal reasons which are absolutely nothing to do with you.

Finally, if you have something to say to me then I suggest you come into the reception at ntl's office in Hook and ask for me, instead of hiding behind multiple fake personas on Internet forums.

Gogogo
02-07-2003, 10:19
As with anything new there are bound to be problems. I think the fact that ntl have produced such a site is a tribute to Frank and his team. Well done guys.