PDA

View Full Version : eminem your thoughts ?

kronas
24-12-2003, 06:37
A US hip-hop magazine has been given permission to publish CDs containing excerpts of an Eminem recording which the magazine alleges is racist.
A federal judge allowed The Source to make available up to 20 seconds of two previously unreleased works made by the rapper when he was a teenager.

His lawyers argued that distributing the CD violated copyright laws.

The Source said some of the material was offensive to black women. Eminem has apologised for "foolish" lyrics.

The magazine says a lyric which states that "black girls are dumb" is denigrating to African-American women.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3342979.stm

swoop101
24-12-2003, 07:36
A US hip-hop magazine has been given permission to publish CDs containing excerpts of an Eminem recording which the magazine alleges is racist.
A federal judge allowed The Source to make available up to 20 seconds of two previously unreleased works made by the rapper when he was a teenager.

The Source said some of the material was offensive to black women. Eminem has apologised for "foolish" lyrics.

The magazine says a lyric which states that "black girls are dumb" is denigrating to African-American women.

What is the point of dragging things like this up from the past?
He has agreed that he used 'foolish' lyrics and has apologised.
We all make mistakes when we are young, some more serious than others, but as long as we accept that we were wrong then it serves no purpose for people to keep dragging them up.
It is just somebody trying to get money from somebody in that has risen to the top of the 'celeb' pile yet again.

kronas
24-12-2003, 07:45
What is the point of dragging things like this up from the past?
He has agreed that he used 'foolish' lyrics and has apologised.
We all make mistakes when we are young, some more serious than others, but as long as we accept that we were wrong then it serves no purpose for people to keep dragging them up.
It is just somebody trying to get money from somebody in that has risen to the top of the 'celeb' pile yet again.

you could say it was an act of foolishness although on the other hand he could still harbour ill feeling against black women he just doesent produce it in his music because he would be slated for it and he knows he can make money out of rap remember money changes people............

Nemesis
24-12-2003, 08:29
We all do things in our teenage years that are more often than not regretted later ..... Just the media would love to take him down.

aliferste
24-12-2003, 11:35
We all do things in our teenage years that are more often than not regretted later ..... Just the media would love to take him down.

Jeepers , i said some racist things in my teenage years!

Misunderstood!

downquark1
24-12-2003, 11:41
I guess you have to say some stupid things if your going to get it to rhyme. It a lot better than some of his more distasteful lyrics.

yesman
24-12-2003, 11:54

But there is always the Aussies..............

Eminem has controversially been given permission to tour Australia.

The tour goes ahead in spite of the incredibly obscene language,
total lack of respect towards women, irresponsible attitude to sex &
violence, and, of course, the dungarees. But despite all this, Eminem said he'd make up his own mind about
Australians.

luftys
24-12-2003, 12:46
We all do things in our teenage years that are more often than not regretted later
Did you :Yikes: not me I was too
:drunk: :naughty:

Russ
24-12-2003, 13:07

I guess that's no better or worse than the expression "white girls are easy".

Paul
24-12-2003, 14:30
Someone somewhere will always find fault with someone elses views an label them a somethingist.

I really don't care much if people are labelled as "racist" or "sexist" or "Homophobic" (I guess homosexualist was too hard to say ...) or any of the hundreds of other stupid titles thought up by people to describe someone else who doesn't happen to have the same view on life as them.

As long as these people or their opposers don't start harming other people over it or try and forcefully impose their views on others.

I have my views on life and people and I'm sure someone could label many of them as thisist ot thatist .....

Stuart
24-12-2003, 14:39
you could say it was an act of foolishness although on the other hand he could still harbour ill feeling against black women he just doesent produce it in his music because he would be slated for it and he knows he can make money out of rap remember money changes people............
True, money can change people. People can also change their opinions for other reasons.

And, people often do things in their teenage years they regret in later life.

I say the views he expressed in the past (and bear in mind they may *not* bear any resemblence to his views either then or now) are not relevant. What is relevant is what he does now.

aliferste
24-12-2003, 14:43
I really don't care much if people are labelled as "racist" or "sexist" or "Homophobic"

As long as your white , male and heterosexual it really doesnt matter eh? :)

Stuart W
25-12-2003, 17:29
It's threads like this that creates racists.

In my life I have heard some damn funny racist jokes. They are funny as long as you realise they are just jokes. We have all heard a few "Englishman, Irishman, Scottishman" jokes, but we know the Irish arn't stupid, the Scottish arn't alcoholics and teh English certainly arn't the best of the bunch!!

If you take offence to Eminem's song, I sure hope you are a black woman or it has NOTHING to do with you.

When I went to school (70's) my best mates name was Layton. He was black. I had no idea he was black until mid 70's / early 80's. Obviously I knew his skin was different to mine, but it didn't matter didly squat to me, until someone pulled me to one side for calling him Golly wog (from the robinsons jam). I pointed out it was just a joke, he wasn't getting upseat by it and he calls me snow flake or vanila (ice cream).
Apparently I was wrong. I was being racist and he wasnt.

If only we could all stop drawing attention to things like this, it would all just fade away.

After all, no one likes a genuine racist other than another genuine racist, therefore racist music would only apeal to racists.

I don't know if I'm getting my point accross or not & I'm gonna stop now. I have a feeling a few people are gonna get quite out of their pram over this one ;)

Paul
25-12-2003, 19:28
We had a friend at school who told us all (on his first day) to call him "choc ice" - apparently because he was "black on the outside, but white on the inside".

We never really understood this - but from then on (5 years) he was known by this nickname to everyone at school. I never knew his real name. No doubt we would all be labelled as racists if we did this these days ....

Stuart W
25-12-2003, 19:43
Indeed.

I saw a short film about a black kid who was called OMO. He got the name from being caught trying to 'wash himself white' with OMO washing powder.

It's fair to say the poor kid had some problems, which were not helped by his peers calling him OMO! However, when I viewed the prog (aged around 12) I knew if I had known him for real I wouldn't be calling him OMO.... he said over and over that he didn't like it.

Equaly, I did call my mate a golly wog, he didn't realy mind tho, the same as him calling me vanila. Fortunatly for me, Vanila Ice was still just a kid ;) :p

[Edit] Something that just occured to me... Ian Huntly is a 'white' man, Nelson Mandella is a 'black' man. I wonder what a racist would make of that. I'm sure there are many many more similar comparisons, I just picked this one as it seemed most 'current'.

Stuart
25-12-2003, 23:32
We had a friend at school who told us all (on his first day) to call him "choc ice" - apparently because he was "black on the outside, but white on the inside".

We never really understood this - but from then on (5 years) he was known by this nickname to everyone at school. I never knew his real name. No doubt we would all be labelled as racists if we did this these days ....
This post is not strictly speaking, on topic, but I used to work with a sikh lady who everyone called Nicky. When I found out that Nicky wasn't short for her real name (ie She wasn't called Nicola), I asked her what it was short for. Apparently she was called Nicky because it sounds similar to the Sikh word for Short a*se.

So, all the time she worked with us, I was calling her "Short a*se". She didn't seem to mind..

kronas
27-12-2003, 02:54
I say the views he expressed in the past (and bear in mind they may *not* bear any resemblence to his views either then or now) are not relevant. What is relevant is what he does now.

but that would make him a liar he may still harbour ill feelings towards black women but he has chosen to keep it underwraps to ensure his career can move forward in the rap world im not saying he is doing this im just saying its a possability and it would not suprise me

I guess that's no better or worse than the expression "white girls are easy".

but thats true ;)

*runs and hides :Yes: :rofl: :D

Stuart
27-12-2003, 18:52
but that would make him a liar he may still harbour ill feelings towards black women but he has chosen to keep it underwraps to ensure his career can move forward in the rap world im not saying he is doing this im just saying its a possability and it would not suprise me

The Beatles wrote "We all live in a Yellow Submarine". It doesn't mean they believed it. Having said that, they did spend that part of their career on various drugs, so they quite possibly did believe it..

Anyway, if Eminem really hated black people that much, would he work with Dr. Dre?

kronas
27-12-2003, 20:51
The Beatles wrote "We all live in a Yellow Submarine". It doesn't mean they believed it. Having said that, they did spend that part of their career on various drugs, so they quite possibly did believe it..

i was going to point out that they were on drugs and alcohol but you cleared that up.........

Anyway, if Eminem really hated black people that much, would he work with Dr. Dre?

money talks.............

some people would/do work with thier own enemies to make money so in the back of my mind im not too sure on him...........