PDA

View Full Version : Recordable DVD

Ramrod
21-12-2003, 19:56
I am interested in buying a multi region DVD player that also records and has a hard drive on it as well. With regards to the timing of my purchase and the hardware itself...any suggestions?

paulyoung666
21-12-2003, 20:00
I am interested in buying a multi region DVD player that also records and has a hard drive on it as well. With regards to the timing of my purchase and the hardware itself...any suggestions?

this probably wont help , for me the jury is out on this one , the only thing i am considering is sky+ for tv and a dvd+/- writer for the computer , i might be being thick here but can you get a machine that does all you want it to do :confused:

Ramrod
21-12-2003, 20:50
this probably wont help , for me the jury is out on this one , the only thing i am considering is sky+ for tv and a dvd+/- writer for the computer , i might be being thick here but can you get a machine that does all you want it to do :confused:
The sky+ is nice but I can't be bothered to shange from ntl. Anyone else with any ideas?
I was wondering if I should wait a year or so for the technology/price to improve or is it up to speed already?

Nor
21-12-2003, 20:52
Might be best getting a normal region dvd which you can 'hack' instead of paying a premium for multi region.

The hack usually involves pressing a couple of buttons kinda like the cheats on playstation :)

Please bear in mind I really don't have a clue when it comes to recordable dvds though.

Ramrod
21-12-2003, 20:58
Might be best getting a normal region dvd which you can 'hack' instead of paying a premium for multi region.

The hack usually involves pressing a couple of buttons kinda like the cheats on playstation :)thats a good idea.

Please bear in mind I really don't have a clue when it comes to recordable dvds though.
....with a hard drive as well......

Bifta
21-12-2003, 21:00

I think (and it's only think) that you'll need a DVD RAM machine for that sort of thing, and I could be totally wrong again in saying that I 'think' only panasonic do the whole DVD RAM format .. but something like this would do you fine:

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g2511104.html

Just don't ask where to get one in the UK, haven't checked that far.

edit: I was wrong, loads of manufacturers do DVD RAM.

paulyoung666
21-12-2003, 21:00
thats a good idea.

....with a hard drive as well......

i honestly dont think there is such a thing as what you want my mate :(

Bifta
21-12-2003, 21:02
i honestly dont think there is such a thing as what you want my mate :(

*points upwards*

Bifta
21-12-2003, 21:04
Here's one you can get in the UK: http://www.internetdvdsdirect.co.uk/dvd-recorders.htm (second one down)

paulyoung666
21-12-2003, 21:04
*points upwards*

and me points at the time of both posts , you beat me by seconds :D

Stuart
21-12-2003, 21:11
I don't know if it can be easily converted for Multi region playback, but the Pioneer DVR-5100 got a good review in Home Cinema Choice this month.

The price is around £600 though.

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/127701/6290209.html

Derek
21-12-2003, 21:30
http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-pioneer-dvr-5100h-multi-region-dvd-player.html

Multi region for £635.00

Ramrod
21-12-2003, 22:06
I think (and it's only think) that you'll need a DVD RAM machine for that sort of thing, and I could be totally wrong again in saying that I 'think' only panasonic do the whole DVD RAM format .. but something like this would do you fine:

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g2511104.html

Thats the jobby! :)
Now...is it worth buying yet?

homealone
21-12-2003, 22:07

may i ask why? - only because I think most of the functions in such a device can be duplicated by computer based solutions, rather than 'standalone'.

- of course if 'standalone' is important, my point is not relevant.:)

Ramrod
21-12-2003, 22:09
may i ask why? - only because I think most of the functions in such a device can be duplicated by computer based solutions, rather than 'standalone'.

- of course if 'standalone' is important, my point is not relevant.:)
Standalone is important but they all seem rather pricey atm. I think I will wait a while as my wife would never go for it at that price. :(

homealone
21-12-2003, 23:06
Standalone is important but they all seem rather pricey atm. I think I will wait a while as my wife would never go for it at that price. :(

I think you are right to wait, /me, I was thinking whether to buy a 'triple format +-& ram' writer, which would go great with my Radeon AIW - but I also want a 17" TFT monitor - and I can't have both!

Ramrod
21-12-2003, 23:15
I think you are right to wait, /me, I was thinking whether to buy a 'triple format +-& ram' writer, which would go great with my Radeon AIW - but I also want a 17" TFT monitor - and I can't have both!
Probably about 2 yrs before they come down in price....

homealone
21-12-2003, 23:26
Probably about 2 yrs before they come down in price....

I think it might be sooner, sky plus will drive it, imo, although I have to declare I am still on an analogue tv feed, via two ntl boxes. Hence my preference for a pc based solution, at the moment;)

Gaz

Ramrod
21-12-2003, 23:48
I think it might be sooner, sky plus will drive it, imo,
Hope it does! :drool: