PDA

View Full Version : Amazon - Why can't they give a straight answer?

Theodoric
21-12-2003, 18:20
Before my recent week's holiday, I placed an order with Amazon for some goods; CDs, DVDs etc for Xmas presents. Anyway, last weekend, they still hadn't arrived so I spent the weekend emailing Amazon. Essentially, the problem was my password had changed which had caused problems and stopped me seeing what was happening with my order. However, my grouse is that trying to get a straight answer to a straight question (like, could you refresh my memory about what was exactly on the order) proved impossible.

Now that I'm back I've found that the goods have started coming in and I'm sure that they'll all eventually arrive but, why, or why, do Amazon find it impossible to answer their customers' specific questions?

PS My cynical self tells me that the answer is that Amazon have ten zillion orders at this time of year and that their customer support staff consists of one man and, possibly, a dog, so that all he can do is click the box that says "Send Standard Reply #7". But, even so, you'd think that they could try a little bit harder.

darkangel
21-12-2003, 18:30
Before my recent week's holiday, I placed an order with Amazon for some goods; CDs, DVDs etc for Xmas presents. Anyway, last weekend, they still hadn't arrived so I spent the weekend emailing Amazon. Essentially, the problem was my password had changed which had caused problems and stopped me seeing what was happening with my order. However, my grouse is that trying to get a straight answer to a straight question (like, could you refresh my memory about what was exactly on the order) proved impossible.

Now that I'm back I've found that the goods have started coming in and I'm sure that they'll all eventually arrive but, why, or why, do Amazon find it impossible to answer their customers' specific questions?

PS My cynical self tells me that the answer is that Amazon have ten zillion orders at this time of year and that their customer support staff consists of one man and, possibly, a dog, so that all he can do is click the box that says "Send Standard Reply #7". But, even so, you'd think that they could try a little bit harder.not sure what answer u expect u seem to be asking them to tell u the details of an account that u don't have the password for, if u had just changed ur password previous orders should still be there?

Paul
21-12-2003, 18:55
not sure what answer u expect u seem to be asking them to tell u the details of an account that u don't have the password for, if u had just changed ur password previous orders should still be there?
Just to translate that ;) - I think he means that they refused to answer because you were asking for details of an account you didn't appear to have access to.

Theodoric
21-12-2003, 21:46
Just to translate that ;) - I think he means that they refused to answer because you were asking for details of an account you didn't appear to have access to.
Correct. But my point is that the name is the same (mine),the email address is the same and the postal address is the same, so it is obvious that I'm not trying to get some info that I'm not entitled to. However, my main grievance is that Amazon are obviously not reading the details of what I am asking for and just sending out some anodyne reply. Now, to my way of thinking, this is the sort of behaviour by large companies that really riles customers.

Of course, when large companies actually start listening and responding to what their customers say will be the day when the order, "All pigs ready for takeoff, sir!" is given.

Chimaera
21-12-2003, 23:05
Same here - I ordered some stuff for Xams pressies 4 weeks ago - delivery date given as 17th - 25th Dec.
Needless to say I'm still waiting - I would have thought a 4 week gap would have ensured I got the order in time for Xmas? :(

Paul
22-12-2003, 00:32
Hmm, I haven't had much dealings with Amazon - the last thing I ordered was the latest Harry Potter Book in the summer.

I don't recall any problems with that order - but I do see your point Theodoric - standard replies are very annoying.

Chris
23-12-2003, 16:21
I have found Amazon fine for buying stuff, but when you try to enter into correspondence with them they are worse than useless. I think you're right Theo, they have a standard reply for everything (or at least they think they do) and simply won't depart from the 'script'. The people that send out these standard email 'reponses' either don't have the wit to realise they aren't answering your question, or are barred from using their initiative at risk of losing their job, or at least getting a reprimand.

GeoffW
23-12-2003, 17:43
I managed to have a conversation with their support people although they were choosing not to understand my complaint.

I took up their free delivery service by ordering two items to push me over £25. I thought it would be processed normally and be shipped by some cheap carrier. It turns out the order passes through exactly the same process as other orders with the exception that they deliberately ignore it for 3-4 days, just to **** you off for avoiding the shipping charge.

TigaSefi
23-12-2003, 18:43
use the phone, don't press any numbers, just stay on the line and you'll be through to a human being.

Theodoric
23-12-2003, 23:11
I have found Amazon fine for buying stuff, but when you try to enter into correspondence with them they are worse than useless. I think you're right Theo, they have a standard reply for everything (or at least they think they do) and simply won't depart from the 'script'. The people that send out these standard email 'reponses' either don't have the wit to realise they aren't answering your question, or are barred from using their initiative at risk of losing their job, or at least getting a reprimand.
I'm glad to see it is just not me that has this problem. The last item finally arrived today. However, after sending about 10 increasingly desperate emails (all I was asking for was details of an order that I could supply name, address and invoice numbers for) and getting exactly zero help from their help line, I don't really feel like letting the matter drop. However, there is one slight problem, namely how do I contact someone who will give me a sensible reply? Their email help line simply refuses to discuss the matter. There is no telephone number on the Amazon site. The only address that I've come across seems to be their warehouse address. So, does anyone have an Amazon phone number or a postal address that I can write to?

Mal
23-12-2003, 23:20
I managed to have a conversation with their support people although they were choosing not to understand my complaint.

I took up their free delivery service by ordering two items to push me over £25. I thought it would be processed normally and be shipped by some cheap carrier. It turns out the order passes through exactly the same process as other orders with the exception that they deliberately ignore it for 3-4 days, just to **** you off for avoiding the shipping charge.
:notopic: When I've used the free delivery I've found that for me it can be quicker than normal, the majority of times the stuff has come by courier, instead of the Royal Mail.

Luckily, I've only had one problem and when I emailed them, you could tell the response was a standard email. Ended up having to ring them.

TigaSefi
23-12-2003, 23:22
Mate, google it "Amazon UK Phone " and it shall bring up
http://www.thebackcountry.co.uk/amazon.html

My best advice is to let it ring through the advice numbers like press 1 for this etc and you will be connected to a human person.

Theodoric
23-12-2003, 23:32
Mate, google it "Amazon UK Phone " and it shall bring up
http://www.thebackcountry.co.uk/amazon.html

My best advice is to let it ring through the advice numbers like press 1 for this etc and you will be connected to a human person.
Thanks! Just what I wanted. Interesting that contacting Amazon would seem to be a country-wide problem! Now, if I can just keep my righteous wrath at full throttle until after the holidays . . .