PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Speech

Defiant
19-12-2003, 21:27
I was listening to Jame's Stanage on The Hits radio (channel 81 FREEview) and they were talking about Reverse Speech. I found this very interesting and decided to have a look on the net because they said there was allot here about it.

Here's one of the site's I found which goe's into allot of detial about this,

http://www.reversespeech.com/home.htm

and one of the page's from this site which has reversed some of Bill Clintons speech's.

http://www.reversespeech.com/clinton.shtml

This cannot be done at home by the way. The timing's have to be just right to make these things out.

I found the whole thing very interesting anyway and thought I'd share it.

Note allot of the speech files on this site are .ram Realplayer. You can get this from http://download.com.com/3001-2139-10153493.html

Ramrod
19-12-2003, 21:49
Strange stuff...

Graham
19-12-2003, 23:35
Oh deary, deary me!

This is taking the nonsense promulgated by certain American Groups about, for instance, how heavy metal drives children to suicide because there are "reversed messages" in it from The Devil etc since they know that Devil worshippers get power by eg saying the Lord's Prayer backwards (*how* do they know??)

There was even a court case where someone claimed that a certain band had a song with the words "Do it! Do it!" (ie commit suicide) reversed in it.

The band demonstrated in court that if you played the record backwards you could also hear expressions such as "ma, my bike's on fire"!

The fact is that the human brain recognises patterns and tries to make sense of them, so when it hears something that sounds like speech, it will interpret it in the best way it can, whether there's actually meaning there or not!

If you play enough sound clips backwards, you're going to hear *something* that sounds recognisable, but that just brings to mind comments about infinite numbers of monkeys...!

(PS Monty Python took the pi$$ out of this on one of their albums claiming that IIRC the previous one, if played backwards, contained the words "I love Satan"! They demonstrated this by allegedly playing part of one of the tracks backwards and the slow drawling words "I love Satan" could clearly be heard. They were then immediately followed by Eric Idle's voice in normal tones, going "Oh yes, I love Satan too"!)

Next week: the hidden messages in Alphabet Spaghetti...!

danielf
19-12-2003, 23:50
Even the suggestion that the human language processing apparatus would have the ability to process reverse speech is abolutely ridiculous to me. Speech unfolds over time. Why on earth would humans develop the ability to analyse it backwards????

Paul
20-12-2003, 00:06
Even the suggestion that the human language processing apparatus would have the ability to process reverse speech is abolutely ridiculous to me. Speech unfolds over time. Why on earth would humans develop the ability to analyse it backwards????
Especially when some of my users at work seem to have a problem analyzing it forwards ...... ;)

danielf
20-12-2003, 00:19
Especially when some of my users at work seem to have a problem analyzing it forwards ...... ;)

LOL. I rest my case...

Ramrod
20-12-2003, 00:24
I think the site was on about the unconcious mind influencing what we say in such a way that what we actually feel is verbalized...sort of...
I didn't think there was any suggestion of subliminal messages or conscious reasoning being involved.
Likewise, no suggestion was made that we are meant to be able to pick up on the backward message in the speech. It's more of a freudian slip. (unless I missed something on the site)

Nikko
20-12-2003, 00:36
em ksa t'nod