PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling ntlworld/ntl freedom ?

Doll
19-12-2003, 18:01
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could confirm how to cancel ntlworld dial-up internet access. I have been told I have to write to ntl giving 30 days notice and then cancel my Direct Debit.
I have been given 2 different addresses to write to and wondered which one was correct and what I should put in the letter.
The first address was in Swansea and the address I got off NTL the other day is on Bartley Wood Business Park in Hampshire.
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers.

Neil
19-12-2003, 18:06
Write to the address on the top of your bills.

Welcome to nthw btw. :wavey: :D

Doll
19-12-2003, 18:10
I don't get any bills mate, I'm on a BT line and they just take their £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ every month via Direct Debit.

Frank
19-12-2003, 18:26
According the the website, the number to call is 0808 200 0000

Opening hours:
Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm

Graham F
19-12-2003, 21:21
I don't get any bills mate, I'm on a BT line and they just take their £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ every month via Direct Debit.

You have an ntl freedom account then and you would need to write to the address in Swansea

gavnad
19-12-2003, 21:38
the address has changed recently it's now the bartley wood address...all you need to quote is your account number and desire to disconnect

Doll
20-12-2003, 18:05
gavnad the Bartley Wood address is the most recent one I have been given so I bet thats it.
Thanks for the replies.

Rik
11-09-2004, 10:30
Well I rang the NTL Freedom no, and was told my account was cancelled, I wont mention the name of the guy, But a month later I was still billed :( and charged £20 for going overdrawn !! ( I was under the impression that it had been cancelled)
Nice one NTL, up until now ive been singing your praises, im gonna ring the number again on Monday, and hopefully it will get cancelled?

Hopefully!!
Unless anyone can help here :)

scrotnig
11-09-2004, 10:45
Well I rang the NTL Freedom no, and was told my account was cancelled, I wont mention the name of the guy, But a month later I was still billed :( and charged £20 for going overdrawn !! ( I was under the impression that it had been cancelled)
Nice one NTL, up until now ive been singing your praises, im gonna ring the number again on Monday, and hopefully it will get cancelled?

Hopefully!!
Unless anyone can help here :)PM me your details and I'll make sure it's cancelled for you. 10 second job to do and shouldn't have been stuffed up.

Rik
11-09-2004, 10:55
Many Thanks Mark :)

luci5
28-09-2004, 02:03
I cancelled my ntl freedom on 2 March by telephone call, email and letter giving 30 days notice. When I called the guy I spoke to pleaded with me not to cancel until a supervisor had called me back within 48 hours to try and sort out the disconnection problems I was having. Told him I was cancelling regardless.

I got a call a few weeks ago saying my account was 4 months overdue and that they couldn't cancel it until they received it in writing.

I still have the acknowledgement of my email saying it would be directed to the correct department.

I have since receive a letter threatening disconnection (yes please)

As my account now looks like it is £90 in arrears I am concerned that ntl will pass my details to a credit reference agency as a bad debt.

luci

Rik
22-10-2004, 16:03
Mark need your help again mate
Today I see NTL have now taken £30 out of my account.........

I was under the impression this account was cancelled :(

luci5
22-10-2004, 23:18
Rik

Are NTL taking this money out of your account by direct debit? If so, cancel the DD mandate with your bank and they won't be able to take any more until this is sorted out.

I cancelled my DD when I cancelled my NTL account and was so glad I did as they would have taken £90 until Mark B managed to cancel it for me and would be continuing to take £15/month which I imagine would be a nightmare to try to get back.

luci

luci5
25-10-2004, 23:48
It looks like you're not alone Rik. I received a statement today showing I owe them £15 for Sept/Oct even though my account has been cancelled.

luci

Scarlett
26-10-2004, 09:22
It looks like you're not alone Rik. I received a statement today showing I owe them £15 for Sept/Oct even though my account has been cancelled.

luci

I had a bill for Oct/Nov but was told that as my account has been cancelled on 3rd November, I would receive a termination bill with a refund on it for the amount that I had over paid.

Even if the termination date was 03/10 and your bill date was 02/10 you'd still be charged a full month and then refunded as the system is probably not configured to look ahead.

Scarlett
26-10-2004, 09:31
I cancelled my ntl freedom on 2 March by telephone call, email and letter giving 30 days notice. When I called the guy I spoke to pleaded with me not to cancel until a supervisor had called me back within 48 hours to try and sort out the disconnection problems I was having. Told him I was cancelling regardless.

I got a call a few weeks ago saying my account was 4 months overdue and that they couldn't cancel it until they received it in writing.

I still have the acknowledgement of my email saying it would be directed to the correct department.

I have since receive a letter threatening disconnection (yes please)

As my account now looks like it is £90 in arrears I am concerned that ntl will pass my details to a credit reference agency as a bad debt.

luci

Be very careful with NTL on this, I have recently looked at my credit record and spotted that NTL had reported me for £2 5 years ago! yes my credit record has a default* on it for £2 (I paid the last bill on the phone and they sent me a non DD bill with paid amount +£1 (for non DD) then they sent another one the next month for £1 + £1 (again non DD) I politely asked them to forget it and heard nothing more until I checked my credit record.)

I'd insist that they provide you with the assurance in writing that this amount is incorrectly charged and should not be on your account so that you can post that letter to your credit record if they do default you on it.

Scarlett,

* Further more, its against my parents address and not the address where the account was held! BTW this is the ONLY default on the record so you can imagine what that might have done for my credit rating over the last 5 years :mad:

luci5
26-10-2004, 12:25
Originally Posted by Scarlett
Even if the termination date was 03/10 and your bill date was 02/10 you'd still be charged a full month and then refunded as the system is probably not configured to look ahead.
I cancelled my account in MARCH!

I normally check my credit record every 2-3 years and only checked it a couple of months ago so I'm not keen on paying to check it again so soon.

Originally Posted by Scarlett
I'd insist that they provide you with the assurance in writing that this amount is incorrectly charged and should not be on your account so that you can post that letter to your credit record if they do default you on it.

I couldn't get ntl to accept my cancellation without the intervention of Mark B and expect I would have considerable difficulty getting such an assurance in writing from them.

luci

Rik
26-10-2004, 13:54
Well I must say if I could nominate Mark B for most helpful guy on forums I would :)
Its all been resolved thanks to Mark!!

I just hope his manager reads this:)
Give him a payrise :)

PS Do the managers read this forum?

Scarlett
26-10-2004, 17:25
I cancelled my account in MARCH!

I know that they seemed not to accept my cancellation until 2 weeks after I sent multiple letters to them (having given up on the phone)

I
I couldn't get ntl to accept my cancellation without the intervention of Mark B and expect I would have considerable difficulty getting such an assurance in writing from them.

Given the trouble that you've had, that is EXACTLY what I would ask for! then it gives you something to go to them with if they come after you for £90 that you don't owe.

luci5
26-10-2004, 20:26
Can I just reiterate what Rik has said? Mark B is a star!! Without his intervention yet again, I would be tearing my hair out and getting quite worried that this "debt" was affecting my so far pristine credit record. It may already be on there as it's a couple of months since I checked it. Think I may check it again just to make sure.

luci

Scarlett
27-10-2004, 08:25
Can I just reiterate what Rik has said? Mark B is a star!! Without his intervention yet again, I would be tearing my hair out and getting quite worried that this "debt" was affecting my so far pristine credit record. It may already be on there as it's a couple of months since I checked it. Think I may check it again just to make sure.

luci

Just to put my comments in context, I am not in any way criticising Mark B or the clearly sterling work :tu: that he has done for the members above (In fact I may be contacting him if my little 'discussion' with NTL over my £2 default doesn't move along as fast as it should.)

I have some lingering issues with NTL as a company which still need resolving and at the moment, I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.* Hence the suggestion to get it in writing (which I've asked for a couple of times and not had :nono: )

Scarlett,

* Unless they're going to let me throw from the top of a tall building :D :D