PDA

View Full Version : Mail scams

downquark1
30-06-2003, 09:42
I've got an official looking enough Package claim notifacation from a company called express forwarders today saying:

A package containing a SONY 32inch PURE FLAT DESIGNER NICAM STEREO WIDE SCREEN TV with a retail value of £1,200 or other items in being held for [my name].

They want me to pay £24.95 for the transfer fee.

:mad: :mad:

Anyone seen this scam before?

Jules
30-06-2003, 09:45
A friend had one like that a few years ago....hers was for a microwave oven. She even rang them to make sure it was all above board sent off her money and got nothing :(

Ramrod
30-06-2003, 10:30
If it sounds too good to be true.......:D

bopdude
30-06-2003, 11:18
Originally posted by downquark1
I've got an official looking enough Package claim notifacation from a company called express forwarders today saying:

A package containing a SONY 32inch PURE FLAT DESIGNER NICAM STEREO WIDE SCREEN TV with a retail value of £1,200 or other items in being held for [my name].

You get nothing for nothing in this life, if you're not expecting it, as in pre-ordered, it's gonna be a scam.

Let them waste there money and time, just dont reply ( and definitely dont send any money ) IMHO that is

Stuart W
30-06-2003, 11:37
Take note of the "or other items"
This is either a scam (probably) and you'll get nothing, or it is a legitimate business and you will get some crap item, like a £50 voucher for any holiday booked thru a real expensive agent for £1,000 or more.

danielf
30-06-2003, 11:42
I remember one from the early days of cd players, where you were awarded something that was fancifully described to make it sound like a cd player, when it actually was just a cd.

timewarrior2001
30-06-2003, 11:52
Unless you entered the compitition then its a scam.
Send no money and forward it to trading standards.

retep
30-06-2003, 14:37
Originally posted by downquark1

see this from Oxford Tradind Standards

> CONSUMER SCAMS The vast majority of businesses are responsible and trade fairly. Sadly, though, there are some traders out there who are trying to rip you off, by offering deals that are too good to be true. Follow our tips below, to make sure you avoid the cowboys. "Don't be a prize fool" 1. Prize Draw letters Most of us have received a letter out of the blue, often from abroad, claiming that we have won large amounts of money in a 'prize draw'. Apparently, all we need to do is send some money off, along with our winning numbers, and a prize will be sent. However, if you read the small print carefully, you will often find that the chances of winning a big prize are often less than one in a million - you are far more likely to receive a cheap 'consolation' prize, worth less than you sent off with your entry. Tip: Always read the small print that comes with the offer. Ask yourself whether you really want to gamble £20 or more with no guarantee of any return. Also, be aware that if you reply to one of these letters, you are likely to be pestered with many more. This is because your details will be sold on to other companies on a so-called 'suckers list' - don't be a sucker!