PDA

View Full Version : Your essential DVDs

ic14
18-12-2003, 22:23
What DVDs do you think are essential?
Post your 3 or 5 choices and a line or 2 about them.

Ill start (no order to mine)

Lord of the Rings Extended versions.
Cant really say much about these, apart from they are probabaly the best versions of the best films i have seen.

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis
One of the most beuatiful animated films i have ever seen. Based on the silent movie classic but with a deeper plot and some loveingly animated scenes. Also has the strangest soundtrack in a film ive seen.

Fifth Element
The story to this is pretty standard sci fi fare but the absloutly gorgeous looks make the film stand out out. Also has the 2nd best performance by Bruce Willis that ive seen

Pirates of the Caribbean
My fave Disney movie. An ecellent film with gorgeous special effects that arent over used and a hilerous other the top performance by Johhny Depp

Kiki's Delevery Service
No extras on the dvd but it is the most charming film i have. A tale of a 13 year old witch who is spending her year alone in a big city. Excellently animated tale by my fave animÃÃâ€*’© director/producer Hayo Miyazaki.

Theres my 5, hope i didnt go too much in depth lol

dilli-theclaw
18-12-2003, 22:29
I am going to get the new alien box set. As I quite fancy seeing the new version of alien and alien 3.

But I do think the lord of the rings dvd's are pretty good.

Um - I was going to get the star trek films dvd box set - but I'm not sure if it has the special editions in it.

I can't honestly say that there are that many other dvd's that take my fancy at the moment.

homealone
18-12-2003, 22:33
Swordfish - especially the sound when the 'claymore' goes off outside the bank.:eek:

Blade Runner - The Directors Cut.:cool:

Woodstock - The Directors Cut :blush:

Old Grey Whistle Test - got the first one, not seen the newer one yet. :p

luftys
19-12-2003, 18:23
Star trek just because its the best

xxx great film and I have more hair than Vin Diesel

DrWho because I am a fan

Nor
19-12-2003, 18:33
Pheonix Nights. Nobody who likes to laugh should be without both series. One of those genuinely brilliant and unique comedy programs that don't come around much.

Can't think of anything else thats essential and don't wanna dilute the importance of Pheonix Nights to have in my opinion :)

ic14
19-12-2003, 18:36
Pheonix Nights. Nobody who likes to laugh should be without both series. Agree with that. :) Very good series IMO.

Mal
19-12-2003, 18:48
Se7en - Just a very good film

Heat - Just hearing the bank shoot out in surround sound in a confined space is awesome.

24 Hour Party People - A really good film is topped off by hearing Peter Hook and Rowetta say what they thought about it in the extras.

Dave Stones
19-12-2003, 18:52
Pheonix Nights. Nobody who likes to laugh should be without both series. One of those genuinely brilliant and unique comedy programs that don't come around much.

Can't think of anything else thats essential and don't wanna dilute the importance of Pheonix Nights to have in my opinion :)

sammy snake... makes me laugh every time :D:D

and "say what you see roy, say what you see" from the first ep... classic

other than series one and series 2, probbaly the 2 LOTR films and FINDING NEMO whoo...

who doesnt love dory :shrug:

Neil
19-12-2003, 18:55
The Office (S1 & 2)
Bad Boys (1)
Finding Nemo
Matrix/Reloaded
Die Hard 1/2/3
Rocky Anthology
Friends (S1 thru 9)
American Pie 2
*Wanders off to rummage through DVD collection* :walk:

ic14
19-12-2003, 18:59
*Wanders off to rummage through DVD collection* :walk: Cant be more than my 150 something DVDs :angel:

Nor
19-12-2003, 19:05
The Indiana Jones boxset is a pretty good addition aswell. 4th disc is pretty good.

Neil
19-12-2003, 19:14
Cant be more than my 150 something DVDs :angel:

Wanna bet!? :naughty:

Defiant
19-12-2003, 20:02
Sorry but I can't believe you have all left out one of the funniest film's of all time.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/12/12.jpg

luftys
19-12-2003, 22:19
That is a classic Defiant :Yes:

Paul
19-12-2003, 23:57
Well classically bad anyway ;)

As a Sci-Fi fan I have many I would class as essential - like Star Wars, Star Trek (some of), X-Man, Terminator, Fifth Element, Independance Day, Matrix, Dr Who (Dalek Stories) .... The list goes on - I would have difficulty chosing just three (or five). :juggle:

homealone
20-12-2003, 00:42

As a Sci-Fi fan I have many I would class as essential - like Star Wars, Star Trek (some of), X-Man, Terminator, Fifth Element, Independance Day, Matrix, Dr Who (Dalek Stories) .... The list goes on - I would have difficulty chosing just three (or five). :juggle:

and The Cube? - Dark Star?

Gaz

ic14
20-12-2003, 16:58
The list goes on - I would have difficulty chosing just three (or five). Took me ages to choose 5. In fact i spent about 20 mins on that post.

Defiant
20-12-2003, 17:24

"Well classically bad anyway" WTF

If it wasn't for you being into Startrek I'd have ya shot lol

idi banashapan
20-12-2003, 17:39
k (no order really) -

1) monty python films (all)
2) bladerunner
3) leon
4) snatch
5) crimson tide
6) the green mile
7) dark city
8) blackhawk down
9) futurama

I know that's 8, but, erm..... I can't count!!!!

Paul
20-12-2003, 17:55
"Well classically bad anyway" WTF

If it wasn't for you being into Startrek I'd have ya shot lol
Well as you may have guessed - I don't like the Blues Brothers :)

sonygeezer
20-12-2003, 18:32
The Great Escape
The Royale Family complete series 1,2&3
Lord of the Rings 1&2
Shrek
The Bridge On The River Kwai
Zulu
Star Wars All

imback
20-12-2003, 19:24
If anyone is looking for something to laugh at this xmas, I advise you to get Ricky Gervais - Animals, it is one of the best stand up acts I have seen for years, the bible bit, classic :D

2 Big Yin classics are out on one DVD this year, including the amazing Billy Connely bites yer bum.

Oh and some Bill Hicks is a must.

TigaSefi
20-12-2003, 20:24
Leon The Professional director's cut unrated version from the US of A (the one with bits where Natalie Portman declares her love for leon) has the best sound transfer I have ever heard.

idi banashapan
20-12-2003, 20:53
ooh - i forgot one....

10) clockwork orange

Maggy
20-12-2003, 21:33
ooh - i forgot one....

10) clockwork orange

The Shawshank Redemption
Bladerunner
Dune
Gladiator
Fifth Element
Galaxy Quest
Blues Brothers

Sorry not very original.

Surprised you guys haven't gone for The Godfather series.

Incog. :)

Paul
20-12-2003, 21:54
The Shawshank Redemption
Bladerunner
Dune
Gladiator
Fifth Element
Galaxy Quest
Blues Brothers

Surprised you guys haven't gone for The Godfather series.
I'm watching the Fifth Element atm - and Galaxy Quest is on BBC1 next Saturday :)
As for the Godfather ... :zzz:

ic14
21-12-2003, 12:15
Wanna bet!? :naughty: Just updated my DVD list.
184 DVDs :D
Cant be more than that Neil :angel:

allanprg
21-12-2003, 13:20
SF fan myself. Top 10 being:-
Close Encounters of The Third Kind (SE).
2001 A Space Odyssey.
Bladerunner.
Terminator 1.
The Abyss (SE).
Planet of the Apes(Original).
Contact.
Star Trek Undiscovered Country.
Star Trek The Voyage Home.
Jurassic Park 1
Not in any order of preference. And I have all these on DVD. :wavey: