PDA

View Full Version : Careers Adviser

LooeyUK
29-06-2003, 22:06
My mum has booked me an appointment with a careers adviser at our local Job Centre at 10:30 tomorrow.

Im so nervous. What do they do?

paulyoung666
29-06-2003, 22:14
advise you about careers maybe ;)

they will ask you questions about what you want to do , what your interests are etc etc etc , then find you a job as a dustman or something similar :) :) :) :)

only joking , just go along and see what they have to say , you never know you might fancy being a dustman , no offence to dustmen of course as they do a fantastic job cleaning up other peoples s**t ;) :) :) :)

Daniel H
29-06-2003, 22:48
Originally posted by paulyoung666
advise you about careers maybe ;)

:D

Act natural, be yourself and they'll find you the perfect career.. just make sure its not with NTL.

kronas
29-06-2003, 22:53
Originally posted by LooeyB
My mum has booked me an appointment with a careers adviser at our local Job Centre at 10:30 tomorrow.

yeah just be yourself pull out all the stops make yourself look positive and upbeat and eager to find the right career confidence and presentation is the key and make sure when you speak to them that your talking to them like your an executive best way i can put it the last bit

cjll3
29-06-2003, 23:21
Originally posted by LooeyB

They find out about you, what you are good at/interested in and talk to you about various oppotunies that may suit you and how the employment service can help you.

First of all don't be neverous (well unless you're fiddeling benefit), they are there to help you, they are ordinary people just doing a job.

Second be open minded. They've met and helped 1000's of people just like you. People with no idea what they want to do with their lives (I'm 31, and I still don't know what I'm going to do with mine).

Thirdly be attentive and ask intelligent questions, ask for advice. If they see you are keen to find work, then they are more likely to present you with better options.

Nor
29-06-2003, 23:25
Don't be nervous. I remember when I started working, I thought people that did jobs must be just so amazingly clever and I was just not worthy. Well the simple fact is most folk in jobs are thick :) If that puts you at ease at all :)

Picking you first career is very important in my opinion. I'm 29 now and did completely the wrong thing when I left school and regret it to this day. Just be open and honest. If he asks you a question and you don't know the answer just say you don't know, don't try and bullshit, won't help anyone. Honestly give some real hard thought to what you want to do for the rest of your life and try to pick a job that you'll enjoy doing everyday.

Don't be nervous btw, its just a daft fella in a job doing the same job hes no doubt done for the last 5 years dishing out the same useless advice. Whats more important is what you think and what you will enjoying doing.

cjll3
29-06-2003, 23:32
Originally posted by Nor
Picking you first career is very important in my opinion. I'm 29 now and did completely the wrong thing when I left school and regret it to this day.

To be honest I've only regretted one career choice I made abd that was moving to London to work for a telecoms company (not ntl).

Even so, whether it was packing nappies to loading 1000s of fresh turkeys onto delivery vans I've always gained something that's helped me along in future years/employment.