PDA

View Full Version : Sky Premiership deal.....

TigaSefi
17-12-2003, 11:29
Didn't go as far as I thought it would go. Sky shows something like 60 games right ? and they lost 8 games to terrestial tv ? PIFFLE!

38 games per team a season times 20 clubs equal 760 games in total. bah........ that TINY!!!!! I would have like to seen more games on terrestial.

gazzae
17-12-2003, 11:36
I think its a bad thing for football. Sky pay a lot of money for exclusive rights, and this money goes to the clubs. If Sky no longer have exclusive rights then less money will be paid for the rights and therefore less money for the clubs.

TigaSefi
17-12-2003, 11:47
Actually.......I thinking that it would make clubs more prudent and not so dependent on television money therefore they wouldn't spend so much money based on tv money in advanced ?

gazzae
17-12-2003, 11:52
Actually.......I thinking that it would make clubs more prudent and not so dependent on television money therefore they wouldn't spend so much money based on tv money in advanced ?

What about the clubs who are millions and millions of pounds in debt and are dependant on the TV money to stay afloat.

Also they say that when this deal expires in 2007 then the rights should be split between channels. In order to give us more "choice". I can't see a teresteral channel having the money to buy the rights so I assume that other pay TV channel will purchase them, thus we will have to pay another subscription, costing us more money.

The Diplomat
17-12-2003, 11:53

My thoughts exactly.... the sooner the overinflated wage demands of the players are curbed the better.

The business ( is it really a sport anymore? ) is completely out of control.

Nor
17-12-2003, 11:57
I don't think its right that Sky were made to give up some of the games. There was nothing uncompetative about them winning the rights. Every station had the same ability to bid.

Am I right in thinking it was some euro minister who got involved even although no parties here were unhappy that it was unfair competition ?

Sky pay alot of money for their rights and that money makes the Premiership what it is and gives teams the ability to buy good players. If you dilute the football rights bought by Sky there will be no reason for them to outlay as much money for exclusive rights, which means less money goes into football and you end up with what we have in Scotland, a shambles.

Sky are brilliant at showing football, always widescreen, great cameras, great comentators, loads of games. God help us with channel 5 getting some games, they completely arse up any football they currently get with idiotic commentators and a couple of cameras per match. Can't see this in anyway benefiting us or giving us more choice.

[edit] Just to add. Sky used to have the rights for Scottish football. We got a couple of games a week more often than not, loads of repeats of it and good highlights shows. Now the BBC own the rights to Scottish football and its pathetic. We get NO HIGHTLIGHTS shows, we get one crappy game per weak, with amateurish production, crap commentators, a couple of cameras per match and thats it. One show per week, no nighttime highlight shows, nothing. Just one show at 3-5 on a sunday or a saturday sometimes.

gazzae
17-12-2003, 12:00
God help us with channel 5 getting some games, they completely arse up any football they currently get with idiotic commentators and a couple of cameras per match.

More John Barnes. :Yikes:

Chris
17-12-2003, 12:03
I think its a bad thing for football. Sky pay a lot of money for exclusive rights, and this money goes to the clubs. If Sky no longer have exclusive rights then less money will be paid for the rights and therefore less money for the clubs.
The money goes to the Premiership clubs, who formed a greedy clique some 10 years ago in order to take a bigger share of the cash that previously was distributed also among the lower division clubs of the Football League. The result of this has been a situation where it is almost impossible for a club to get into the Premiership and stay there, and where it is absolutely impossible for a promoted club to boast of any greater achievement than not getting relegated.

Meanwhile the massive amounts of cash paid for TV rights are hoovered up by a relatively small number of talented players, whose demands grow ever greater and cause wage inflation that, if it were repeated in the economy at large, would have brought the Government down years ago.

Ironically, the only way to stop big football clubs going under is to reduce the amount of cash entering the sport. Then, the ridiculous wage bills would come under control and the clubs' balance sheets would look more attractive.

TigaSefi
17-12-2003, 12:06
Exactly towny, wtf aren't you a politician with an uncorruptable streak inside ya ?

Nor
17-12-2003, 12:06
But Towny, the decision was about uncompetative tendering and giving the viewer more choice. It wasn't a decision made in europe so that lower division clubs would get more money. Quite the opposite, if there is less money going into football why would you think these lower division clubs are gonna get more now ? They'll get even less just the same as everyone else.

Also the way to stop big clubs going under is not to reduce the amount of cash entering the sport, its to impose restrictions on how much of their income they can spend on players and wages. I just can't fathom why some of you think killing the tv revenues earned by the premiership will help it and make it better for us viewers to watch.

gazzae
17-12-2003, 12:08
Ironically, the only way to stop big football clubs going under is to reduce the amount of cash entering the sport. Then, the ridiculous wage bills would come under control and the clubs' balance sheets would look more attractive.

But this is also going to reduce the standard of the Premiership, the players who are good enough will just up and leave and go to other countries where they will be paid the massive wages.

I do agree though that more money should go to lower league clubs, but this isn't going to happen if there is less money going into the sport.

The only way to sort it out is with Wage Caps etc, but this would need to be done world wide to stop the top players just going to a country without a cap.