PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else on blueyonder getting 20!?mb/s? - Upload also increased 768kb/s

Toilet-Duck
27-09-2006, 17:06
I just had a friend tell me he was just about to download vista when he started the download he noticed that his speed was 2.17mb/sec he didnt think his speed was right so he tried to dl somthing from blueyonder and he is still getting speeds of 20mb broadband...

Im just wondering if blueyonder are testing 20mb speeds? He noticed his upload speed has also increased to 768kb/s heres a speedtest he just did:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/66/downloadincdj7.jpg

He is still paying 10mb speeds and I cant see anything on their website that they are testing 20mb, he only noticed it starting today.

bopdude
27-09-2006, 17:16
Nice speeds but you should have blanked out the ip addy, some plonkers out there ya know :tu:

Druchii
27-09-2006, 17:17
I can see everyone reaching for the speed test buton :p

Still hitting 4Mb here :)

Nice speeds though, maybe trialling in his area?

Toilet-Duck
27-09-2006, 17:21
Nice speeds but you should have blanked out the ip addy, some plonkers out there ya know :tu:

Ah yea thanks :o:

|Kippa|
27-09-2006, 18:34
Yes I to have the 20mb and 768 upload rate, your not the only one. Btw I am paying for the 10mb connetion at the moment. Tis fecking brilliant! I hope I get to keep this for a bit.

Druchii
27-09-2006, 18:37
Yes I to have the 20mb and 768 upload rate, your not the only one. Btw I am paying for the 10mb connetion at the moment. Tis fecking brilliant! I hope I get to keep this for a bit.
Can we get a confirmation? Do a speed test and Print screen the results to here?

|Kippa|
28-09-2006, 01:02
When downloaing of commercial newsgroups I usually get a download rate of 1200 KB/s which is full 10mb, now I get a download rate of 2000 KB/s which is roughly about 18mb connection. Here is a piccy from grabit newsreader showing my download rate

Download Failed (1)

Druchii
28-09-2006, 01:04
When downloaing of commercial newsgroups I usually get a download rate of 1200 KB/s which is full 10mb, now I get a download rate of 2000 KB/s which is roughly about 18mb connection. Here is a piccy from grabit newsreader showing my download rate

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7729/speedtestok4.jpg
Holy christ, makes me wish i was on 10Mb just for the hugely inflated speeds right now...

SnoopZ
28-09-2006, 01:07
SnoopZ™ thinks this thread is going to get very long!

Druchii
28-09-2006, 01:10
SnoopZ™ thinks this thread is going to get very long!
Exactly, i only want the extra upload speed mind :(

SnoopZ
28-09-2006, 01:11
Exactly, i only want the extra upload speed mind :(

I don't need the upload as i don't use torrents much. Newsgroups all the way. :tu: :D

Druchii
28-09-2006, 01:13
I don't need the upload as i don't use torrents much. Newsgroups all the way. :tu: :D
I hardly torrent, just wanting it to host a personal website much more efficiently.

SnoopZ
28-09-2006, 01:14
I hardly torrent, just wanting it to host a personal website much more efficiently.

Very good point. :)

Ruki
30-09-2006, 21:33
It's true.

I was downloading something yesterday (around 3am) and got speeds of 2000kbps and higher.

It lasted for about 5 minutes and I was back to 2mb again.

Zee
30-09-2006, 22:59
Is anyone on NTL getting these speeds at all, or if it just people on Telewest?

SnoopZ
30-09-2006, 23:38
Is anyone on NTL getting these speeds at all, or if it just people on Telewest?

Still maxing 10mbit here but not on the forum speed test, it seems to be very unreliable for me now. A newsgroup download always confirms my speed.

popper
01-10-2006, 01:57
Holy christ, makes me wish i was on 10Mb just for the hugely inflated speeds right now...

did anybody look at their modem setting and report their firmware and reported speeds from there, is it a new speed configuration file or someone setting the ubrs wrong (but in our favour for once).

Druchii
01-10-2006, 01:59
did anybody look at their modem setting and report their firmware and reported speeds from there, is it a new speed configuration file or someone setting the ubrs wrong (but in our favour for once).
I have no idea, but thinking about it, 768k upload is naff for a 20Mb product :( 24mbit providers are offering upwards of 1mbit...

Wish i had SDSL now :p

popper
01-10-2006, 02:05
yeah i was just going to re edit the post and say that the 768 isnt consistant with the 20/1 ratio is it, given that it should be 1mbit, but asking ntl to better the competition and setting it to 1.4 (remember the techs seem to think 1.5 is the current ubr limit for average consistant upstream rate)....

a 1mbit or better, a 1.4 mbit upload rate would make a very nice AVC encoded low bitrate video blog , then all thats needed would be for NTL:tw to re-activate the Multicasting setting in all their routers to the customers and everyone would be happy as you could then just have 1 copy running on UDP and serve 20+ people with ease and save vast amounts of bandwidth in the process, theres lots of inovation out there if we had multicasting access as default on all the NTL:tw network.

they might even get new customers comeing over just for that reason.......

if nothing else NTL:tw users could then access the BBC AVC/H.264 multicasting trials and that in turn would encurrage far more UDP IPTV multicasting content
http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/streams.html

Druchii
01-10-2006, 02:13
yeah i was just going to re edit the post and say that the 768 isnt consistant with the 20/1 ratio is it, given that it should be 1mbit, but asking ntl to better the competition and setting it to 1.4 (remember the techs seem to think 1.5 is the current ubr limit for average consistant upstream rate)....
Neither is the 4Mb product, but, it's great nonetheless.

However, why don't they ever market products which allow you to share data? I for one would probably drop to 2Mb for a 1mb upload. Actually, now i know, Peer 2 Peer. High upload would promote it as well as high download does :(

1.4mbps would better the competition, but NTL:Telewest never seem to try to do that.

popper
01-10-2006, 03:02
thats my point though, the isps point the finger at tcp:IP P2P as evil bla,bla, imply it illegal which its not.

notice how i keep bringing up UDP and multicasting?, well P2P/DHT enabled message boards, file servers,video servers and who knows what else already exist today.

NTL:tw being the only cable service and covering 50+ of the whole UK , then if they just turned UDP muticasting back on (its a standard option in all routers since day one) in all their routers all the way to the users and told us, you would see a massive shift over to UDP multicasting as the apps adapted and see a vast saving in bandwidth for everyone.

the UK video inovation could finally take off, and NTL:tw would find they are getting many new early adapters taking their broadband, everyone wins and ntl start to inovate, all on the back of something they have had all along but didnt change its setting.

Druchii
01-10-2006, 03:06
thats my point though, the isps point the finger at tcp:IP P2P as evil bla,bla, imply it illegal which its not.

notice how i keep bringing up UDP and multicasting?, well P2P/DHT enabled message boards, file servers,video servers and who knows what else already exist today.

NTL:tw being the only cable service and covering 50+ of the whole UK , then if they just turned UDP muticasting back on (its a standard option in all routers since day one) in all their routers all the way to the users and told us, you would see a massive shift over to UDP multicasting as the apps adapted and see a vast saving in bandwidth for everyone.

the UK video inovation could finally take off, and NTL:tw would find they are getting many new early adapters taking their broadband, everyone wins and ntl start to inovate, all on the back of something they have had all along but didnt change its setting.
Any links that furthur break down this idea? And explain thoroughly how it would work?

Sounds very interesting, but wouldn't it add to the used bandwidth rather than saving it as more data form different sources is being dragged to one point? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick here?

popper
01-10-2006, 05:15
Any links that furthur break down this idea? And explain thoroughly how it would work?

its been a while since i was last banging on about this, so ill have to find them again, but i will, i dont want to take the thread off to much (as it doesnt say 'and interesting stuff'),as they dont like it, and stop it just as it gets interesting....

but: (it is bandwidth related so)
the basic idea is simple and hence why its been there in the official specs since day one.

Sounds very interesting, but wouldn't it add to the used bandwidth rather than saving it as more data form different sources is being dragged to one point? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick here?

its an easy mistake to make, given most people are currently using tcp:IP everything (because most ISPs disabled multicasting in the routers), but no, it wouldnt add more bandwidth , it would however have the effect of distributing the data serving in a far better efficient way for everyone.

think of it as how NTL:tw very own digital tv works, thats in effect UDP multicasting, they send one single data stream per channel, wrapped up in a MUX that every one tuning to receaves (within a few miliseconds of each other) that one (multicast) channel,yes?.

were as you can think of the current VOD as useing one copy sent per user, as per current unicast tcp:IP, yes?.

if a single VOD is being seen by 100 people, thats 1 VOD times 100 people =100 VOD files.

were as a UDP multicast VOD would be one single VOD file sent, that everyone of those 100 people would take a copy of =1 single VOD file (and hence the term near VOD as it needs more than one viewer per copy sent to see the savings on bandwidth).

so its clear UDP multicasting would save 100 times more bandwidth.

it can be any data, not just VOD/video and with the new DHT
options that means everyones a potential server as well as a receaver
so the load gets spread around and hence cheaper serving that even NTL:tw can also take advantage of......

the bbc put it nicely
http://www.bbc.co.uk/multicast/faq.shtml
"
What is Multicast?

Multicast is an alternative way of delivering video and radio channels at a much higher quality. It's a smarter way of serving large numbers of people. This means more live channels will be available for popular events like the Olympics."

there no reason the users couldnt use it too IF NTL were to re-enable the multicasting to us.

any readers not on NTL:tw can use this link to see if they have multicasting enabled by their ISPs and hence should be able to get the BBC AVC trials above.
http://www.multicasttech.com/?main=mt/index2002.php3
http://www.surfnet.nl/info/en/services/multicast/home.jsp

tech :http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multicast-HOWTO-2.html
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/48.html

if the readers have several machines on their home network (more than 2)you can test multicasting for yourself, just grab a copy of VLC on all your machines, load a video file on to one of them and use the wizard to stream to the lan network useing UDP/RTP multicast to say 224:0.0.1:7777 (the eq of localhost tcp:ip for muticasting) ,start up the other vlc's (or mpclassic, mplayer etc) and point them to that 224.0.0.1:7777, test that then do exactly the same but set the wizard for rtp Unicast (tcp:ip) and see how it really struggles to keep up as more machines join, no contest, multicasting wins.

Druchii
01-10-2006, 15:14
Wow, now that was an interesting post, and i can see the benfits now, i've tested something along those lines before at home and i have to agree, there was something i tried that worked with 4 machines streaming, and something that struggled with 3. I think i know what it was now.

Rep points are on there way for that, and i have to admit, if it would save bandwidth in such a way that would enable people to use the spare bandwisth to gain the speeds they've been promised anyway, why don't they use it?

Again, fantastic post.

FusionXN1
02-10-2006, 03:16
NTL 10MB here - no update and i just rebooted the modem.. still 1.2mb/s

djnerve
02-10-2006, 23:46
If anything today mines been slow! even my mum woke me up saying stop downloading lol my pc was off

Benson
04-10-2006, 13:46
I am also with Telewest/Blueyonder and i noticed teh speed increase last week while downloading.The fastest download i have had so far on this connection was around 2400kbps but on average i downloaded around the 2200 mark.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/10/27.png

Druchii
04-10-2006, 13:48
I could of done with this kind of speed last night, downloading 6 games from steam... They're still going!

janipewter
08-10-2006, 23:17
Download Speed: 9566 kbps (1195.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 351 kbps (43.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm in Plymouth - PL2.

Stormz
10-10-2006, 07:31
I am still getting the same speeds of downloads to 1280 kbps and the boring max upload of 40kb, when I set my upset to 40kb it always slows down the download speed. When I had 4mb I was uploading 45kb and could set my upload to 40 but now I set it to 32. :) I live in London and am using Blueyonder. I don't know if a wireless adapter with 54mbps affects the connection speed but those are the max stats I have. I can't wait for an upgrade in download speed but of course, we will always have that stingy upload speed every provider seems to be giving to us :( When I first had blueyonder I was getting speeds for 300 kbps a second, this was when blueyonder first came out, then all of a sudden they limited us to 60 kbps, I was so disappointed, it took a long while for them to upgrade their connections after that! :) High speeds and high upload is all we need. I am always downloading lots of stuff and it takes ages to upload stuff! :( If everyone had fast connections I am sure sharing would be easier! :)

janipewter
10-10-2006, 14:50
Being in London, I'm surprised you're not on the trial too.

Markos1977
13-10-2006, 17:59
telewest and ntl ar testing 20mb

janipewter
13-10-2006, 19:06
Thanks for pointing that out, but do you not think that after 3 pages of discussion we would have already come to that conclusion?

Markos1977
13-10-2006, 22:43
Thanks for pointing that out, but do you not think that after 3 pages of discussion we would have already come to that conclusion?

i didint notice i was on page one wen i posted that oooops lol

v0id
13-10-2006, 23:29
I haven't noticed an increase in download speed, but I've been getting upload speeds of around 50 - 70kB/s

Druchii
14-10-2006, 02:13
I haven't noticed an increase in download speed, but I've been getting upload speeds of around 50 - 70kB/s
Oddly i can report the same thing, only on a 4Mb Telewest Line.

Snaga
06-11-2006, 12:37
Im here in Wimbledon and no speed tests here. :(

|Kippa|
18-11-2006, 11:42
I was on the 20mbit trial with 768k upload rate but I haven't had it for over a week now. Has it finished? Has anyone else gone back to the 10mbit connection?

SnoopZ
18-11-2006, 18:29
I was on the 20mbit trial with 768k upload rate but I haven't had it for over a week now. Has it finished? Has anyone else gone back to the 10mbit connection?

I believe the 20mbit trial has finished.

clerahi
19-11-2006, 21:13
20mb :shocked: I'm paying for a 10Mb line but get 5Mb at the most. At peak times it can be as low as 2Mb. Blueyonder say it is due to over utilisation of the exchange and "will take months to resolve".

janipewter
21-11-2006, 07:30
That most likely means it'll take years to resolve.

clerahi
21-11-2006, 23:37
Here is Telewest's 10Mb service for you :mad:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/34.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

volatile
23-11-2006, 23:28
My 10mb is fine at all times tbh, im the Gloucester area