PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sagem Freeview box

ros830
25-09-2006, 15:15
Hi All,

I have just bought a Sagem Freeview box, but I'm without the RF cable to connect the RF OUT socket (on back of box) to my TV aerial socket. The instructions do say that Sagem don't supply this. So, what cable do I need?

So far, I have a coaxial cable plugged into the portable aerial running to the RF IN socket. And the scart from the Freeview into the TV.

My Freeview doesn't find any channels at all. I'm in Central London, and theoretically, should be able to receive Freeview. However, I live right next to a railway line, which seems to badly affect the analog signal. Would this affect Freeview as well? Please help!

kfridge
25-09-2006, 17:07
what kind of portable aerial are you using...the cheap'n'cheerful loop aerials that come with portables aren't really up to the job of recieving freeview to be honest...might be better getting a new one from Comet etc.

Also, check here (http://www.freeview.co.uk/) just to double check that you can indeed recieve freeview in the area you are in.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

oh, and you will need something like this (http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/FLYLEAD2.html) to connect the box to your TV - you will be able to pick a cheaper version that this one up from your local electronics store

Graham M
25-09-2006, 17:08
Hi All,

I have just bought a Sagem Freeview box, but I'm without the RF cable to connect the RF OUT socket (on back of box) to my TV aerial socket. The instructions do say that Sagem don't supply this. So, what cable do I need?

So far, I have a coaxial cable plugged into the portable aerial running to the RF IN socket. And the scart from the Freeview into the TV.

My Freeview doesn't find any channels at all. I'm in Central London, and theoretically, should be able to receive Freeview. However, I live right next to a railway line, which seems to badly affect the analog signal. Would this affect Freeview as well? Please help!

I have a Phillips Indoor Aplified Freeview Atenna which seems to work fine and I live opposite a Railway Line (IE it's at the end of my garden in a dip) and don't seem to experience any problems with Analog/Terrestrial Digital/Sky Digital

ros830
25-09-2006, 17:31
Thanks for both of your comments.

Kevin, I have bought a separate aerial - a Telecam http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344008.htm

I will try and find the cable you recommended. Male+Female socket, right?

jonifen
25-09-2006, 21:18
I found that if you can get the portable aerial up high enough near the outside wall pointing in the same direction as the other aerials in the area, it might work. We've got a £6 basic aerial from Wilkos in one of the kids' rooms (the front box bedroom) near the outside wall on the wardrobe - works perfectly, she gets all channels fine.

In the back room we bought a One4All 40dB booster aerial for about £18 from Argos which works well (but not as well as the cheap-un in the front room!)

The cable you need can be picked up from your local Tesco for about a quid.

kfridge
25-09-2006, 21:53
I will try and find the cable you recommended. Male+Female socket, right?

yup, thats the right one...as Jonifen mentions, you can pick them up at a few places for less than the link I supplied.

ros830
26-09-2006, 09:31
Thanks for all your advice.

I have bought the correct cable, but still nothing. I have checked that I've plugged everything in the right sockets.

We live in a loft extension, so we have sloping eaves in the lounge. Might they be blocking the signal?

The reason we bought an aerial is because the reception from the aerial on the roof is so poor. However, without using the Freeview box (analog signal), reception is still poor with the new aerial.

We just want to watch TV! Any more suggestions... should I return the aerial I bought and buy the All4One that people are recommending?

kfridge
26-09-2006, 14:10
this link might help:
aerial help (http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/loft_aerial.htm)