PDA

View Full Version : Best Ntl cable splitter? and a few other questions

Link83
25-09-2006, 15:02
Hi all im new here, so please forgive the number of questions and if they have been asked before - I did try and research on google first but couldnt find the answers I am looking for.
I hope this is the correct forum to post this in...

I just wondered if anyone can tell me what the best cable splitter is for ntl? (Im splitting it for another ntl cable/TV box) I have seen so many on ebay but I have no idea what is the best splitter with the least signal loss.

Some of them mention that one output has a 'powerpass' but I have no idea what this is, or if I need it?
Also some say that one line is for 'DATA' and the other is for 'TV/DATA', why is this?

Is there a specific splitter that ntl themselves use?

Also, what type of cable do ntl themselves use? (ive heard its H109?)

When looking on ebay for 'splitters', I also came across 'isolators' and 'attenuators' - what are these for/what do they do?

Lastly, when the cable runs into my house to the wall socket its a thick black two-core cable. Inside the ntl wall socket one cable has a connector fitted, and the other is just knotted up and left inside the box. If I were to fit a connector to this other cable would it be 'live' so to speak?
On a side note - the cable/connector is totally 'loose' under ths socket cover (Theres nothing holding anything in place at all) Is it meant to be that way?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Paul K
25-09-2006, 15:08
Erm if you have got another NTL box from NTL then they will fit it for you. If you have bought an illegal box from Ebay then it WILL NOT work.

Russ
25-09-2006, 15:14
Please note we do not permit the discussion of obtaining services without paying for them.

Link83
25-09-2006, 15:23
:Yikes: No its not not illegal or anything! - I friend gave me his old box as he was moving out of an ntl area, and he thought I could use it to add digital TV in a second room (my bedroom) Or is this not allowed?

Graham M
25-09-2006, 15:24
No it just won't work.

Link83
25-09-2006, 15:29
:shocked: Oh ok. Can I ask why it wont work?

Russ
25-09-2006, 15:32
Yes :)

Link83
25-09-2006, 15:36
Yes :)
Erm....ok, please could you tell me why this setup wouldnt work?

Graham M
25-09-2006, 15:44
Because every box/card pair is linked to an account, without this link... it won't work

Paul K
25-09-2006, 15:52
Your friend is not allowed to just give his box away and should have made an attempt to return it to NTL

Link83
25-09-2006, 15:54
Ok thanks :) I have just had a look at the box and the card appears to still be in it - does that mean it could work?

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

He did, he rang up ntl and they were supposed to come and collect it twice, but no-one turned up :shrug:

Graham M
25-09-2006, 15:55
Ok thanks :) I have just had a look at the box and the card appears to still be in it - does that mean it could work?

No because the account is no-longer active

Link83
25-09-2006, 15:59
No because the account is no-longer active
Alright thanks, just thought it was worth a try.

Can I just ask then what isolators and attentuators are for?

and should the cable inside the ntl box be fixed in place or is it meant to be loose?

Im surprised so many people seems to act like im some sort of thief, when all im trying to do is add some more channels to the TV in my bedroom :(

Paul K
25-09-2006, 16:12
Freeview box? You can easily add channels to the telly in your bedroom as long as you don't mind watching the same channels as on the tv with the box attached or you could just rent a 2nd STB if you want to be able to watch channels independently of the other telly.

Russ
25-09-2006, 16:17
Im surprised so many people seems to act like im some sort of thief,

I'm not saying you're a thief but this post might have encouraged some undesireables to post info here ;)

popper
25-09-2006, 19:34
I'm not saying you're a thief but this post might have encouraged some undesireables to post info here ;)

ofcourse theres the 'lots of assumptions' in this thread, and the 'guilty until proven inocent', as for the 'encouraged some undesireables to post' its more a case of putting your average new poster off ever coming back and just finding a far more interesting and helpful messageboard elsewere, it appears over a very short time the high rates and informative posts have declined to such a point, many people are just looking elsewere.

handyman
25-09-2006, 20:22
Of course that's just your opinion, as with many forums 90% of people pop along get the info they need and go anyway regardless of responce. Some register and post to get follow up info. A small percentage of these stick around long enough to see what the rest is like and then they tend to hand around. I've been a member for 4 years now and nothing is going to change with how the regular member uses forums..