PDA

View Full Version : Good router to use with Blueyonder modem

tvout
22-09-2006, 17:15
Hi all,
After having to reset my useless Netgear WGT634U router again this evening as I do practically daily due to losing the wireless connection I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good wireless router to go with my Webstar modem on a 4mb connection? Anyone with a really reliable router?
One thing I really like about the router is its FTP storage feature but am thinking about getting a decent reliable router and forwarding port 21 (FTP) to the WGT634U which would be connected to the new router via a cable.
Seems a daft idea but I want to avoid having to arrange some kind of alternative storage and set it all up with FTP accounts etc. with a different router.
I really can't decided on a good router, linksys? belkin? buffalo? d-link? Anyone any good experiences?
Router would be downstairs, I have one desktop machine upstairs, 2 laptops downstairs, sometimes one of those is upstairs and an IP webcam connected via a d-link ethernet bridge.
The netgear support forums have gone and I hoped on here I could get an independent point of view and people's experiences on blueyonder with wireless routers (as Netgear seems to be affiliated with blueyonder...)

My current router is known to have an overheating and dhcp problem. I have it on an exposed stand, removed much of the surrounding casing and attached a big fan to it and assigned fixed ips to all machines and switched off dhcp and updated to latest firmware and it's still totally useless.

Any help or advice would be great...

many thanks

Druchii
22-09-2006, 20:35
Once again there's a vote for the Linksys WRT54G. Do NOT buy a WRK54G.

tvout
22-09-2006, 22:08
Cool, cheers.
I take it you've had no problems with that then? Have you ever had to restart it? How many PCs wirelessly access it?

Many thanks

Druchii
22-09-2006, 22:31
Cool, cheers.
I take it you've had no problems with that then? Have you ever had to restart it? How many PCs wirelessly access it?

Many thanks
I've restarted it a few times, but then worked out it wasn't the router at fault in the first place :p: So, that basically means it's never been at fault yet in my house due to things going wrong.

Currently just 3 PC's access it wirelessly, but i do host a small web server betwen about 8.30am and 4.30pm weekdays as i'm at college and we require certain things which we can't get at otherwise. I can also verify it stands up to a battering with P2P, well, it handled the free Army Op's game nicely (just over 2Gb's) and handled Knoppix DVD's and CD's well. So, i take it it's good for P2P.

Any more info you want?

popper
22-09-2006, 22:38
you could always find a 3rd party linux firmware and try that on the Netgear WGT634U if you were into tech

the roofnet community wireless network uses these for thier MESH network for instance.
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/doku.php?id=wgt634u what price are these now btw?.

stick it in or on your roof (with a power feed or power over ethernet adaptors, whats its power ? 6V at 1 amp?) and get your mates to also do the same and before you know it you will have started your own community wireless MESH network that just grows and grows LOL.

tvout
25-09-2006, 22:04
Cheers guys, I've ordered a WRT54G.
I did consider the idea of using customised firmware but was worried about not being able to revert back if any problems...

I bought a landisk from Maplins in the sale and that works better than the flash disk as network storage and so far things seem ok. If the connection drops at all now I shall swap it for the Linksys...