PDA

View Full Version : longer cable

Belfix
21-09-2006, 09:19
Hi all
New to this site, so the answer to this question might be a bit too obvious..
I need to lengthen by about 5 meters the cable on my ntl bband from the junction box to my ntl cable modem as I want to move my pc setup to the other side of the room. This cable will run under the floorboards. On the modem end is a 6db forward path attenuator. The simple question is - can I just go into say Maplins and get them to make a cable up (with ends) to the length I want?

TheNorm
21-09-2006, 09:45
Hi all
New to this site, so the answer to this question might be a bit too obvious..
I need to lengthen by about 5 meters the cable on my ntl bband from the junction box to my ntl cable modem as I want to move my pc setup to the other side of the room. This cable will run under the floorboards. On the modem end is a 6db forward path attenuator. The simple question is - can I just go into say Maplins and get them to make a cable up (with ends) to the length I want?

My understanding is that you cannot change in any way the cable supplied by NTL up to the point it enters the cable modem. If you want it done, you have to call out an engineer and there will be a charge (£25 I think).

However, you could run a longer length of network cable from the cable modem to wherever you like in your house. I have my cable modem (and router) on top of a cupboard in an upstairs bedroom, and feed the network cables through the loft to various points in the house.

:welcome: Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Halcyon
21-09-2006, 11:08
As The Norm has mentioned, it is a lot wiser to just extend the ethernet network cable from the modem to your PC and leave the modem in one place.
Messing with the coax cable can cause problems if not done correctly.

You can buy ethernet cable cheaply.
I normally buy mine from HERE (http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_31)

greencreeper
21-09-2006, 11:46
Or wireless?

Nedkelly
21-09-2006, 11:53
As the others have said get a ethernet cable to do this.If you use your own cable to move the modem you can cause problems ie noise on the signal.I know other people have done it but if you have a fault ntl will not touch your cable and you will be charged £25 call out.Its up to you i see people all the time messing around with cable then ring in because its not working properley:)

Belfix
21-09-2006, 18:05
Thanks for the replies...will "shove the modem under the bed" and buy a longer ethernet cable as suggested. However did try a 5m coaxial from Maplin and it seems to work fine ie same speeds, no dropped bits etc, but as you say if a fault develops i'm stuck.
Once again thanks..