PDA

View Full Version : broadband and p2p

sicknote
20-09-2006, 14:46
trying to download using p2p ie: bitcomet or the likes and no matter what ports i forward etc etc etc i still get utterley crap speeds do ntl block p2p software at all ? any help would be useful cause i aint got a clue:)

AbyssUnderground
20-09-2006, 14:50
No NTL do not block p2p but I heard something about them traffic shaping it. Not sure if thats actually in effect.

You might get crap speeds if you max out your upload bandwidth. Set it to 2/3 of your max.

sicknote
20-09-2006, 15:10
thnx for the reply m8 already set upload speed etc etc seems to me its a problem on cable because on adsl it seems fine but then again are they traffic shaping 24/7? cause its crap all the time

Bill C
20-09-2006, 16:12
thnx for the reply m8 already set upload speed etc etc seems to me its a problem on cable because on adsl it seems fine but then again are they traffic shaping 24/7? cause its crap all the time

From the info i have it is only 1 area that is being trailed as we speak. Where are you and i will say yes or no. I for one am now looking else where for my connection. I do NOT want or need traffic shaping.

Zee
20-09-2006, 16:46
I'm in NW London, i use uTorrent and Morpheus - i get good speeds but from PRIVATE SITES not PUBLIC SITES (Like Mininova, TorrentSpy)

Begize
20-09-2006, 17:05
I use Azuerus and got bad speeds till I changed the default ports to some onesI just made up at random - 55555 to 55565 (although if you have a lot of active torrents you need to open more - it's one per torrent I think?).

I heard that NTL throttle some of the default P2P ports rather than full traffic shaping them.

sicknote
20-09-2006, 17:52
well Bill im in Buckinghamshire and zee i do use the public ones so maybe thats it but as i said earlier me m8 on adsl has no problems at all thats why it leads me to thinkin NTL are doing it

Bill C
20-09-2006, 18:28
well Bill im in Buckinghamshire and zee i do use the public ones so maybe thats it but as i said earlier me m8 on adsl has no problems at all thats why it leads me to thinkin NTL are doing it

then according to my source you are NOT on a traffic shaped area.

Me i have just had this email. Lets see if Sky have it wrong again.

O BUY, CALL 08705 515515 AND QUOTE ***************

Dear ** **************

Thank you for registering your interest in Sky Broadband Max. It's an ideal way to get unlimited* downloading of everything from movies, music, sports clips and games and gives you an ultimate broadband experience. You can get it now with speeds of up to 16Mb and unlimited* usage allowance for only £10 a month and with Max you also get FREE connection and an optional professional home installation for FREE.

Great value extras

Sky Broadband comes with some great value extras, too. There’s a FREE Sky Broadband box which can give you wire-free connection around your home, so no more wires trailing about the house. If you are a PC user you will also get McAfee® Internet Security Suite, worth £49.98, FREE for a year, or if you are a MAC user you will get a year’s free Virex worth £29.99. And 5 sky.com (http://sky.com/) email addresses, that are accessible from anywhere in the world. And although Sky broadband is easy to install yourself, there is also an option for a professional home installation, which is FREE if you take Max.

Order Sky Broadband now

To get Sky Broadband as soon as possible, place your order today. Simply call us on 08705 515515 quoting the special code below. This code lets you buy Sky Broadband and is only valid for the next 21 days. Unfortunately, because demand for Sky Broadband is very high we can only make your code available for three weeks from the date of this email.

Already got Broadband?

Switching is easy. If you already have broadband with another Internet Service Provider, you can still switch to Sky Broadband. All you need to do is contact your supplier and ask for a ‘MAC code’, then quote it when you order Sky Broadband. We will then switch you over.

Talk loads - unlimited UK landline calls for just £5 per month.

As a Sky TV customer, you can get Sky Talk which offers you unlimited UK** landline calls, anytime, day or night for just £5 a month Just pay Sky for your monthly Sky Talk fee and BT for your line rental. You'll also save 5% on calls to mobiles and international calls when compared to BT Together Option 1. However, you don't need broadband to get Sky Talk.

Hurry!

You are already first in the queue, which is why you can buy today, but hurry your special code runs out soon. Place your order today and then you can look forward to enjoying the experience of Sky Broadband as soon as possible.

Regards

Samantha Beresford
Senior Product Manager
Sky Broadband

Had this before and when i phone to order i then get told sorry no can do. Going to phone them now wish me luck.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

then according to my source you are NOT on a traffic shaped area.

Me i have just had this email. Lets see if Sky have it wrong again.

O BUY, CALL 08705 515515 AND QUOTE ***************

Had this before and when i phone to order i then get told sorry no can do. Going to phone them now wish me luck.

:LOL:

Oh i am sorry Sir that email has been sent in error. Not the first time i said :). I can only say sorry sir.

So that's Sky out the window, They don't seem to be able to organise a **** up in a brewery

I was going to use it as a non proxy surfing account. I will be staying on NTL for now.

Bill C
21-09-2006, 16:40
I have just deleted my last post as all the evidence points to my last post being incorrect at this time,. however i will continue to check tonight.