PDA

View Full Version : Payment changing methods

rearadmiral
16-12-2003, 16:36
Joy of joys, I received an email from NTL Freedom recently asking me 2 update my credit card details as my previous card has reached its expiration date for payment of my dial up account. I conscientiously did as was requested & clicked on the enclosed link. The link was no longer valid, of course, but I was informed by the miracle of the Internet that I would be transferred to a valid page to enter my new details.

Unsurprisingly, I eventually got the msg. that I was not authorised 2 view this page. So I tried 2 reply 2 the email from them…..... of course I couldn’t do that as the last sentence of the email states ‘Please do not reply to this e-mail as the address is used only for outgoing mail’. Ah, but the previous sentence states that I can contact my ntl:home customer management centre if I have any queries….... it just doesn’t say how or provide any contact details.

Finally I tried the manual approach & went 2 ntlworld.com ‘payment changes page’ I decided to use Direct Debit as I can cancel this more easily than a Credit Card payment should the need arise. (I’d already heard many horror stories on this site regarding people’s attempts 2 cancel their contract).

Finally got thru’ the whole process despite being told twice that my account number was invalid when in fact it was an errant sort code. I read the confirmation, which states the date of first collection: 19/2/04! Do you think it likely that NTL will give me 2 months grace, or even better 2 free months. I think not dear reader, for I fear ill forebodings.

2 B serious 4 a moment, does anyone on this site have any experience, advice or failing that, valium as I have a feeling I may need it soon. All I really want 2 do is pay the bu##ers surely that’s a good thing isn’t it, not a sentiment that should B greeted with as many barriers as technically possible!

Sociable
16-12-2003, 17:01
Just out of interest is the expiry date on the card in question just before the new date you have been given?

Could be they are thinking ahead and simply only aim to change to the new details on expiry of the card and were just giving you plenty of warning?

EDIT: Just one last thought. Whenever up-dating account details it always pays to log into the website direct rather than through a link in an e-mail as many updating paypal and e-bay accounts found to their cost recently.

rearadmiral
16-12-2003, 17:17
Just out of interest is the expiry date on the card in question just before the new date you have been given?

Could be they are thinking ahead and simply only aim to change to the new details on expiry of the card and were just giving you plenty of warning?

EDIT: Just one last thought. Whenever up-dating account details it always pays to log into the website direct rather than through a link in an e-mail as many updating paypal and e-bay accounts found to their cost recently.

Appreciate your point, Sociable, but the card expired at the end of November, hence their email 2 me when they tried to debit my credit card in December.

Were the paypal & e-bay links bogus a.k.a. fraudulent. :) Hadn't heard of this story but I think I can guess where U're coming from.

Sociable
16-12-2003, 17:38
Were the paypal & e-bay links bogus a.k.a. fraudulent. :) Hadn't heard of this story but I think I can guess where U're coming from.

Yes they certainly were LOL

Can't find the link right now but a search for e-bay or paypal scam should lead you to the details of the scam involved.