PDA

View Full Version : network adapter error message

Chopper1
19-09-2006, 15:48
Hi there im trying to install my NTL cd but when i get to the very end of the installation process i get the error message "network adapter error". I use an ethernet cable and a cable modem. Can anyone help??

Thanks

Stuart
19-09-2006, 15:53
If you are connecting via Ethernet, you don't' need to install anything off the CD.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

:welcome: to the forum, BTW.

Chopper1
19-09-2006, 16:17
Thanks for replying. I have tried connecting already without the cd but with no joy, page cannot be displayed. Im not sure why the network adapter error is coming up.

Nemesis
19-09-2006, 16:20
Make sure that the Ethernet adapter setting are set to DHCP, etc. There should be no "Manual" setting of IP, DNS, WINS, etc.

Chopper1
19-09-2006, 16:40
How do i check this???

Nemesis
19-09-2006, 16:53
Start - Control Panel (Classic View)- Network Connections
Right Click Lan Connection
Choose Properties

Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Click Properties

Make sure it's set to

Obtain an IP Address Automatically
Obtain DNS Server addresses Automatically

Chopper1
19-09-2006, 17:51
Thanks for replying. Yes i checked all that and it is as it should be or like you said but still cant connect to the net, page cannot be displayed.

popper
19-09-2006, 18:57
go back to basics, is the NC showing up in Network Connections, i assume yes, are you useing a (wrong)crossover or (correct)standard straight through rj45 cable.

to check that, hold up both ends of the rj45 connectors together and look to see if all the colours match pin for pin (straight through)or there are 2 colours that are swaped over and hence are X over.

assumeing an NTL 250 CM can you browse to the modems internal web server at http://192.168.100.1 and log in with root/root ?, if so then your using the right rj45 cable, if not then perhaps you have a crossover/Xcable and thats wrong so you cant get anywere.

assuming straight through cable to your CM:
assuming your running win XP ,start/run/cmd then type ipconfig what does that show?.

as a temp fix you could always install the USB driver and use the usb cable for now until you sort the rj45, again you dont need to install all the crud from the ntl cd,you only want the usb driver to make an OS see the device as a network card.

if you can get access to the net somehow and have a cd/dvd burner then you might download a linux live cd and burn/boot that to rule out your current installed OS , good for testing your ntl connection on the fly

slax live cd is a good and small self booting cd that wont write to your current OS drives for instance
http://www.slax.org/download.php
http://slax.linux-live.org/forum/

Chopper1
20-09-2006, 08:30
Thanks for replying some great feedback there il try this this evening when i finish work and let you know how i get on. Cheers again.

Chopper1
20-09-2006, 11:55
hi as regards to the below quote i still get the network adapter error when insalling the NTL cd:

as a temp fix you could always install the USB driver and use the usb cable for now until you sort the rj45, again you dont need to install all the crud from the ntl cd,you only want the usb driver to make an OS see the device as a network card.

How can this be sorted?

Stuart
20-09-2006, 12:10
What's the actual error?

Chopper1
20-09-2006, 13:08
Hi. Well tried installing the NTL cd with a USB connetion but at the very end of the installation process it says "network adapter error" something to do with my physical address i think.

Stuart
20-09-2006, 13:39
Well, give this a try (assuming the Ethernet connection is not working).

Unplug the modem from the mains Plug the USB adapter into the PC. Let Windows find the new hardware. Put the CD in if Windows asks where to find the drivers. do NOT run the installer. Plug the modem into the mains. When the lights on the modem have settled down, plug the modem into the adapter.

maverick
20-09-2006, 14:58
Hi. Well tried installing the NTL cd with a USB connetion but at the very end of the installation process it says "network adapter error" something to do with my physical address i think.

If you have to connect via usb try the following::

Insert to ntl cd and connect the usb cable to modem and pc,make sure the modem is powered on,quit the installer program when it load's,double click my computer>make a note what drive the ntl broadband installer is located,more than often it will be drive D ,right click on this and left click explore.double click on a driver's folder,then double click on an ambit folder.Next double click on uninstall and follow on screen instruction's.Once reboot is complete the new hardware wizard should detect the usb modem,if it asks where the driver is located type the path to the driver into the copy files from box as follows
d:\drivers\ambit if the drive letter is different to d then put whatever letter it is at the beggining of the path.

Chopper1
20-09-2006, 18:25
If you have to connect via usb try the following::

Insert to ntl cd and connect the usb cable to modem and pc,make sure the modem is powered on,quit the installer program when it load's,double click my computer>make a note what drive the ntl broadband installer is located,more than often it will be drive D ,right click on this and left click explore.double click on a driver's folder,then double click on an ambit folder.Next double click on uninstall and follow on screen instruction's.Once reboot is complete the new hardware wizard should detect the usb modem,if it asks where the driver is located type the path to the driver into the copy files from box as follows
d:\drivers\ambit if the drive letter is different to d then put whatever letter it is at the beggining of the path.

Hi there tried what you suggested Maverick uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but still when reinstalling the NTL cd the following message comes up:

Network adapter error

Broadband Set-up cd could not renew the IP address for your network adapter(DHCP)

There may be a problem with your physical connections.

Any ideas how to sort this out??

Thanks

popper
20-09-2006, 18:58
it apears your still trying to run the installer rather than quit that at the begining.

do as we advise and do not run that autostarting installer you do not need it.

again what does ipconfig show, past it here for us to see.

Chopper1
20-09-2006, 20:13
Ethernet IP configuration:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP address. . . . . . . . . . :0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . :0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . :

Thats it mate

maverick
20-09-2006, 20:39
That looks like the ethernet port that your not using,the modem you have check that the rdy and sync lights are both on solid,then follow the instructions from my earlier post,when the driver is installed try ipconfig /all this will list all connections and see if an ip is then listed.