PDA

View Full Version : Good Value/quality Freeview and Digital aerial advice

Damien
18-09-2006, 16:25
I am in my student house and I took my tv with me. I wanted advice on a good quality (in terms of picture quality, reception) on a freeview box and aerial?

Got any recommendations? :tu:

Paul K
18-09-2006, 16:33
Any cheap and cheerful Freeview box will do and we found we could pick up a decent enough signal via a standard telly top aerial but that will depend on where you house is sited and whether you have any big buildings around you to be honest.

Damien
18-09-2006, 16:35
I will find a freeview box cheap on amazon then. The aerial is the important thing. I am atop a hill (Canterbury is very hilly). The town has a poor digital reception I am led to belive so i need something strong and especially strong with digital signals.

Tezcatlipoca
18-09-2006, 21:39
Last Thursday's Guardian's Technology section mentioned an independent round-up of set-top aerials which work well with Freeview... can't find it though, & can't remember which one they said was good!

If you are allowed to have a proper external aerial fitted, it shouldn't cost more than £80-£100 for the aerial & the fitting.

You need altis, he's the aerial guru........

nffc
18-09-2006, 22:31
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5342000.htm

There's a vestion with a booster but I'd suggest that you get a decent standalone one, Argos have / had a SLX one with a 14 dB gain (after subtracting the noise) which is quite good.

You need a decent inbound signal before boosting though. I have this aerial here, running my TV card and STB off a single booster then an active splitter. No probs.

Damien
18-09-2006, 22:53
I need it to be indoors and be good for digital signals....

nffc
18-09-2006, 23:34
That Telecam will be OK. Picks up Belmont which is 80 km away.