PDA

View Full Version : Cancelation charges

Davey2006
18-09-2006, 10:16
Hi can some please help me i have been on phone to ntl for weeks now trying to get them to listen to me about my move .
i informed moves and transfers i was moving to a new address and they said fine u can get the services at your new address and arranged a install date got the tex messasge confirming they were coming enginerr rings up and says hes at my addresss (old one)
says i have to rebook as moves and transfers have messed up .
i do that and they still never turned up . Got through to esclations team and she said she would get me a install date fairly quickly and asked for my new address again and said sorry its non serviceable i will cancel the contract from the day you informed moves and transfers you will recive one fianl bil and thats that.
got the fianl bill they owed me money so they issued a check for the remaining balance and then i thought that was the end.

now they are saying i have topay the remainder of the contract as I canceled in the twelve months , i have checked my Equifax report as i was checking on some other account and i saw ntl on it and it says the account is settled with no money owing but customer servivces are just readinfg the same script at me i have to pay.

can some one help me with this raise it a higher level with ntl?

Thanks
Dave

Paul K
18-09-2006, 11:17
Were you within the 12 month period on your original property?

Davey2006
18-09-2006, 11:39
yes i was but i was told by the escaltions team that they were at fault as i should have been informed my property was not servicable ,
also the sales manager who signed me up said i could cancel with no charge if i moved as i was in rented acomadation

Paul K
18-09-2006, 11:46
If the new address is not servicable then you cannot be charged for the remainder of the contract. It would be different if the service was available at the new address but since you cannot have it installed then it's not your fault really is it. You could try calling NTL again and asking for a supervisor/ manager or you could wait for a passing team member to offer assistance.

Davey2006
18-09-2006, 11:49
spoke to all the supervisors and managers and they all say if u cancel within the 12 month uhave to pay , i diddnt cancel it was them when they relized ther mistake

Davey2006
22-09-2006, 10:53
HI is there no one who can help me out here on the cable forum team ,
ii have tried sorting this out with customer services but they wont listen.
quick summery
1/ the sales manager who sold me the contract said i would incur no cost if i moved to non servicable address.
2/ The lady who canceled said no more charges to your account when she canceled it.
3/ they issued me with a cheque for the balnace they owed me the next bill
4/ my credit file says the account is settled from ntl them selves.

what else can i do i dont want to deal with debt collectors?

Stuart
22-09-2006, 11:08
I'm confused. If I am reading the above correctly, then your account appears to be settled.

Davey2006
22-09-2006, 11:13
hey mate if u are confused how do u think i feel yes i belive it to be and did until about 2 months after when they sent me a bill for the remainder of the contract said i had to pay because i canceled.

i have no luck telling the customer servises agents abaout what has happened they pass me throughg moves and transfers to retentions then back to c.s and get the same responce u owe us as u canceled in the 12 month period

Stuart
22-09-2006, 12:13
If you PM me your name, address, account number and contact phone, I will see if our contact can do anything.

Davey2006
22-09-2006, 12:22
thanks stuart hopely it will all get cleared up:)

lostandconfused
22-09-2006, 13:29
i think what has probably happened is your account was closed down and any amount that you overpaid was refunded to you.
then after all that has happened the retentions department would have put a debit on the account with the remainder of the contract.
if you move adress to a non servicable are you are still liable for the contract, however as it can be proved that it was agreed that you wouldnt have to pay these charges (as the account was fully settled and then the debit was added) i cant see why anyone wont remove them for you.
hopefully the forum team will sort for you asap

LixeL
22-09-2006, 18:11
Hah, you think you've got problems, at least they have acknowledged you have moved and have cancelled your account.

I've tried phone calls, emails, contact forms on website, more phone calls and almost 3 weeks ago letter to complaints address given by NTL, they are still sending me bills and dont seem to have got it yet, I moved months ago - IF ANY PASSING NTL PERSON SPOTS THIS - PETE HOLLOWAY HAS MOVED, STOP SENDING BILLS PLEASE. (and no im not in any twelve month contract period, I was a happy customer for 6 years, just cannot get NTL where I moved to).

Davey2006
28-09-2006, 14:57
Had a lengthy chat with the cable forums contact today says i still have to pay the charges nad that i got a good deal from them in nov when retentions credited my account cause i was going to cancel due to price increase.

Anybody no any other avenues to go down regarding this account as ntl are sticking to there guns saying its my fault i moved to a non servicable address and as i canceled during first 12 months i have to pay the remainder of contract up.

lostandconfused
29-09-2006, 01:50
to be honest i think the only other option you have is to take it to court

Davey2006
03-10-2006, 14:10
I have been speaking to consumer direct and the c.a.b about my case and they said i have to put this al in writting to ntl so if it gos to court i have proof they no about my case.

Any body care to give me the company secetery address so i can write too i have seen i few threads where people have been writing to him there..

thanks

Graham F
03-10-2006, 17:13
If the new address is not servicable then you cannot be charged for the remainder of the contract. It would be different if the service was available at the new address but since you cannot have it installed then it's not your fault really is it. You could try calling NTL again and asking for a supervisor/ manager or you could wait for a passing team member to offer assistance.

not true anymore looking at the terms and conditions

3 DURATION
3.1 Our Services are subject to a minimum Initial Term starting on the date we activate the Services. You can only terminate this Agreement during the Initial Term if conditions 19.4 or 20.1 apply, otherwise we may charge you a cancellation charge which will be the charges which would have been payable to the end of the Initial Term. During the Initial Term, you may downgrade all or any of your Services to the entry level or starter package for the relevant Services by giving us one month’s written notice. We may charge you a reasonable fee for a Service downgrade.
3.2 After the minimum period, either you or we may terminate this Agreement and/or any of the Services covered by this Agreement on one month’s written notice

It looks like ntl have brought the tandc in line with telewest who always had this issue if you moved to a non serviceable area!

Davey2006
03-10-2006, 19:54
so they have changed there terms and conditions regarding moving as when i singed up i was told i can leave if i move to a non servicable address this was pre ntl/telewest merger.

any body no when they changed the contract.

i was told by consumer direct that i can not be held liable for me not been able to recive there service as i wanted there services but they were unable to provide them.

MovedGoalPosts
03-10-2006, 23:05
You should have a copy of the terms and conditions that formed your contract at the time that you signed up. If not ask ntl to supply a copy and require them to certify that those were the terms applicable at that time.

I know there are provisions in many of the T&Cs that allow ntl to vary the T&Cs. But the crux of that is that if there is a variation, for it to apply parties would need to be aware of the change, and their rights in the event of that change being significant.

Thus even if ntl have removed an abiilty to cancel the contract if less than 12 months served and you want to move house, but you wern't aware of it, I fail to see how ntl could enfoce the new T&Cs. But if you signed up on the above T&Cs, then you have no recourse.

Of course, Mr Angry when he sees this will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

popper
04-10-2006, 04:36
not true anymore looking at the terms and conditions

It looks like ntl have brought the tandc in line with telewest who always had this issue if you moved to a non serviceable area!
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/termsresidential
you didnt put the part in, that protects the other party, so its missleading, 19 and 20 are pritty clear.

the eayest one to use for your 30days i suppose, is the sep price change (see near the end,)that should be showing up on the bill now i guess.

[edit]
after re-reading the OP this is even more clear cut, NTL:tw canceled the contract, so end of story.
"Got through to esclations team and she said she would get me a install date fairly quickly and asked for my new address again and said sorry its non serviceable i will cancel the contract from the day you informed moves and transfers you will recive one fianl bil and thats that."

ofcourse regarding Cancelation charges and the T&C , it does state
'we may charge you a cancellation charge', not 'we WILL', they dont have to make a charge if they dont want to.

if they want to get funny about it, you could if you were so minded(depends how much they wind you up i guess),always use the 4% above base rate interest NTL:tw clause(6.2) to claim back any and all overpayments/wrong/unlawful charges placed on your account at that contracted rate
perhaps even compounded('may also charge daily interest',and whats good for them in also good for us) , see
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/7252-new-way-looking-interest.html#post51269.

heres a copy i posted about the 19/20
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=34120307#post34120307

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
http://www.netlawman.co.uk/acts/supply-of-goods-and-services-act-1982.php

CONSUMER PROTECTION

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992083.htm

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/word-banks/31878-direct-debits-90-day.html
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/statutes-library/

http://www.home.ntl.com/page/termsresidential
<snip>
as for the T&Cs theres that little thing called the law about not being a valid clause unless it gives equal rights to both partys along side all the other rights the comsumer already has by default.....
notice the lack of the word reasonable in the users favour but its there in favour of the NTL part of the contract...

"3. Duration
3.1 Our Services are subject to a minimum Initial Term starting on the date we activate the Services. You can only terminate this Agreement during the Initial Term if conditions 19.4 or 20.1 apply, otherwise we may charge you a cancellation charge which will be the charges which would have been payable to the end of the Initial Term. During the Initial Term, you may downgrade all or any of your Services to the entry level or starter package for the relevant Services by giving us one month's written notice. We may charge you a reasonable fee for a Service downgrade.
3.2 After the minimum period, either you or we may terminate this Agreement and/or any of the Services covered by this Agreement on one month's written notice."

"19.4 As well as your other rights, you shall have the right to terminate this Agreement by notice to us in writing if we fail to perform or observe any obligation under this Agreement and (in the case of a breach capable of remedy) we fail to remedy the breach within the reasonable time specified by you in your written notice requiring us to do so. Subject to Condition 22, you shall also have the right in these circumstances to claim against us for any losses and expenses which directly result from such breach by us."

"20. Cancellation Rights
You may cancel the Services without penalty in the following circumstances:-

if we increase our Charges you may cancel those Services in respect of which the Charges have increased by giving us one month's notice in writing within 30 days of the earlier of:
(a) such price increase being notified to you under Condition 6.2; or
(b) the date of your first bill following such price increase, irrespective of whether the minimum period in respect of those Services has expired. If you cancel Services under this Condition, the increased Charges relating to those Services will not apply to you;

if we significantly reduce the content of the Services or make any significant change to the terms and conditions of this Agreement under Condition 26, you may terminate this Agreement by giving us one month's notice in writing within 30 days of such change irrespective of whether the minimum period in respect of such Services has expired. "
"
22. Limitation of Liability
22.1 In performing any obligation under this Agreement our only duty is to exercise the reasonable skill and care of a competent provider of telecommunications and television services.
22.2 We will not, and our suppliers and licensors will not, be liable under this Agreement for any loss or damage which:

arises other than through our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or contractors or our breach of this Agreement; or
is not a reasonably foreseeable consequence of our negligence or our breach of this Agreement; or
is any business loss including loss of revenue, profits or anticipated savings; or
is for wasted expense or data being lost or harmed.
22.3 We do not restrict or exclude our liability for:

personal injury or death directly caused by Us or our employees whilst acting in the course of their employment with us;
physical damage to your personal property up to £100,000 due to any one event or series of connected events where such damage is due to our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or contractors acting in the course of their employment with us;
any of our liabilities which cannot by law be excluded or restricted. "

"29. Waiver
The failure by either you or us to exercise or enforce any right under this Agreement shall not be deemed to be a waiver of such right or to bar the exercise or enforcement of it or any other right."

"30. Notices
Notices given under this Agreement should be delivered by hand or by prepaid first class post or electronic mail either:

to us: at the address on this Agreement or on the last invoice or to an alternative address notified to you;
to you: at the address in this Agreement or to an alternative address notified to us. Alternatively, if you take the Television Service or Internet Services we may deliver notices to you by sending them via the ntl Network so that they are displayed on your television or computer screen. "
"
31. Law
This Agreement is subject to the laws of the place in which you live."

http://www.home.ntl.com/page/customerupdate
"
1 September 2006 Price Change Customer update: FAQs

On 1 September 2006, some of ntl's prices are changing. ntl is committed to communicating clearly with all of its customers. As with any change, you may have some questions."

that will do for a start anyway...............

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

ohh, one last fact that you might comment on:
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/customerupdate
"
Why should I move to paying with Direct Debit?
It's cheaper. Apart from eliminating the expense and hassle of mailing cheques, it takes advantage of our Direct Debit discount "

in british law a Direct Debit is tantermount to a cash payment
so should the PP cash user also get this stated NTL discount as well!.

Mr Angry
04-10-2006, 07:02
NTL can change their T&C's all they like but the fact still remains that your rights under Consumer Contract law haven't been changed. This falls under unfair terms in consumer contracts.

MovedGoalPosts
04-10-2006, 09:27
I mention his name and he appears ;)

But, regardless of when the t&cs were changed, although it may appear to be an unfair term under consumer law, has that ever been tested / proven? Is this cited as a specific example of an unfair term that if the customer moves house before the end of his / her minimum contract term, they should be let off the rest of the contract? ntl clearly do not see that there is a problem, after all (playing devils advocate) it's not ntl's fault that you wanted (had) to move house.

King Of Fools
04-10-2006, 11:11
so they have changed there terms and conditions regarding moving as when i singed up i was told i can leave if i move to a non servicable address this was pre ntl/telewest merger.

any body no when they changed the contract.
Searcing the forums suggests that the contract changed before February 2005!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=24651

orangebird
04-10-2006, 11:29
Searcing the forums suggests that the contract changed before February 2005!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=24651

This was never in the t&cs at all. ntl not charging you if you moved to a non-servicable area before your first 12 months were up was a discretionary action which was never documented. In January 2005, they chose not to use this discretionary action and make it part of their t&cs that you had to pay the minimum cost for a full 12 months. The problem being that the cost of installing a new sub needs to be covered, which it certainly isn't by the average RGU in the first year. I think they should just sell their stbs to the customer like Sky do and get on with it now. :shrug:

popper
04-10-2006, 12:07
This was never in the t&cs at all. ntl not charging you if you moved to a non-servicable area before your first 12 months were up was a discretionary action which was never documented. In January 2005, they chose not to use this discretionary action and make it part of their t&cs that you had to pay the minimum cost for a full 12 months. The problem being that the cost of installing a new sub needs to be covered, which it certainly isn't by the average RGU in the first year. I think they should just sell their stbs to the customer like Sky do and get on with it now. :shrug:

Hi OB.
Yeah, as iv been saying, over the longer term, it can only be a good thing if NTL:tw were to open up their network, even if it were to so called select providers, after all that way the commercial incentive would then be geared towards giving the users new and sellable options and at the select providers cost (we all know its eventually pasted onto the user in the end).

even before you take into consideration the future select commercial partys offerings, PCI DVB-C(2),USB,and even STBs with IPTV DVB direct to your PC at £99, theres a lot of perfectly good and working , unused (ex) C&W/NTL/TW STBs out there, that even today are still in the current computer system that if you were to reconnect them to the network NTL:tw could reactivate/associate to a new PAYG cable offering for instance,and start collecting new profits.

tap into an already existing cheap system, a simple paypoint card or even a mobile phone type payment card for instance.

everyone wins.

Stuart
04-10-2006, 13:12
While I agree with the sentiments expressed by both Orangebird and popper, would people please bear in mind that the OP is moving to an uncabled area, so any discussion of NTL opening up their network is both irrelevant and off topic.

Davey2006
04-10-2006, 13:20
Been reading the last few posts and one thing that strikes me is the fact the T&C say we may charge u , so that meens they have discretion to end the contract if they wish. my property was already enabled when i moved in so there was no cost to Ntl to create my custum.

The sales man who singed me up even said we can cancel your contract if u move to non servicable area so are they as misinformed as we are ?

orangebird
04-10-2006, 13:24
While I agree with the sentiments expressed by both Orangebird and popper, would people please bear in mind that the OP is moving to an uncabled area, so any discussion of NTL opening up their network is both irrelevant and off topic.

I wasn't tallking about opening the network up, just thinking out loud that if ntl were to sell their stbs as a way of covering some of the installation costs instead of holding people to a 12 month contract, it would be easier all round... :erm:

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Been reading the last few posts and one thing that strikes me is the fact the T&C say we may charge u , so that meens they have discretion to end the contract if they wish. my property was already enabled when i moved in so there was no cost to Ntl to create my custum.

Of course there's a cost - even if the property was alrteady cabled, and the cost of sending an engineer out to your house to complete the end of the install is present, the hardware, the manhours it takes to administer your account etc etc etc. There is a cost to EVERY install.

The sales man who singed me up even said we can cancel your contract if u move to non servicable area so are they as misinformed as we are ?

No, sadly, there are some unscrupulous buggers out there that just want to get you connected and get their commision. If they told you you had to pay for the full 12 months regardless, would you have signed up? My feeling is NO, and I can almost guarantee that was probably the salespersons feeling too.

Davey2006
04-10-2006, 13:31
So I have Benn lied to or mislead on at least 2 ocasions, When i singed up and when the escalations team canceled my contract .
canceled in may recived statement in june they owed me money whitch they refunded me no statement in jully in aug a bill with cancelation charges on.

they added them on 31 jully .

how can they add charges whren u have settled the account and its closed?

popper
04-10-2006, 13:32

fair do's Stuart, (but i think i did my part in helping him and future readers to get a little slack................).

orangebird
04-10-2006, 13:52
So I have Benn lied to or mislead on at least 2 ocasions, When i singed up and when the escalations team canceled my contract .
canceled in may recived statement in june they owed me money whitch they refunded me no statement in jully in aug a bill with cancelation charges on.

they added them on 31 jully .

how can they add charges whren u have settled the account and its closed?

The best thing I think you can do is go to the CAB and ask their advice. From past experience, if you mention you're consulting with them, ntl generally crumble at this point and do as you ask them. But do put everything in writing (if you haven't done so already).

Davey2006
04-10-2006, 13:58
went to cab and they said put evrything in writing whitch i will do and the cable forum contact has been talking to me and said we have reached deadlock refered me to oftello so i contact them and they said as the 12 weeks are not up yet i need a letter of deadlock from ntl , phone up ask for the letter and i get Oh sorry cant have that 12 weeks have mnot passed ..

U refered me to them urgggg:mad:.

BEst address to write to would be helpfully anybody?

popper
04-10-2006, 16:18
you didnt say how long your contract had to run btw ?

i found this SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST FOR COMMUNICATIONS DATA its got addresses in there , i wouldnt sent the SARS though as it might tigh up the data conroller in knots for a few weeks lol
http://www.privacyinternational.org/countries/uk/surveillance/sar_isp.html

12 weeks to even begin sorting it out, thats outragous, you could have sent an LBA,filling in an N1 county court order,placed an injunction, had it served,and probably been sorted by then, you would probably even had time to cc the OFT http://www.oft.gov.uk/Search+Results
and had them initiate an investigation and perhaps even got them to get an undertaking from NTL:tw to not to profit from unfair terms.

just as OFT will seek a court injunction to prevent their continued use Using the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1994, so can you or anyone.
http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/1998/PN+48-98.htm

Mr Angry
04-10-2006, 17:39
I mention his name and he appears ;)

Is this cited as a specific example of an unfair term that if the customer moves house before the end of his / her minimum contract term, they should be let off the rest of the contract?

Hi Rob,

Yes.

Schedule 2 1.(c) making an agreement binding on the consumer whereas provision of services by the seller or supplier is subject to a condition whose realisation depends on his own will alone;

If NTL can't provide services because they decided not to service an area then the consumer is not at fault.

MovedGoalPosts
04-10-2006, 18:39
So yep the area is not serviced, and the is a weakness on the cableco's part.

But it isn't ntl's fault that the customer is moving before the contract minimum term.

On that basis ntl only partly fail the above clause.

Davey2006
04-10-2006, 18:52
I have 5 months to run on my contract so was with tthem for a fair bit also when i could not get ntl cable i got virgin net owned by ntl so i still used ntl just a diffrent part of the same firm,

Fingy
04-10-2006, 20:12
Davey2006... I think that you may find if you are able to phone up and give your virgin account details the charge may not be held... no guarantees but I think it may swing things.

Mr Angry
04-10-2006, 20:36
So yep the area is not serviced, and the is a weakness on the cableco's part.

But it isn't ntl's fault that the customer is moving before the contract minimum term.

On that basis ntl only partly fail the above clause.

NTL fail totally under the above clause in that they are the service provider.

What I quoted above was only one element of the "unfair terms" legislation. There are others which apply equally - should the OP wish to research them.

NTL are neither estate agents nor landlords. As such they have no right to determine, restrict, or attempt to restrict someones right to elect to move address. If you (the OP) wanted to be truly pedantic you could point out the fact that there is nothing in the T&C's that says a customer must live at a particular address and not move house.

The services, according to the T&C's, are provided to a particular address and there is no mention anywhere that customers may not move house / address. Moving address does not, therefore, constitute a part of or breach of the contract on your part. If you are still keen to receive the services but they cannot supply them than they are in breach of the contract, not you. Again the OP would need to research this.

Do they also do "student deals" for term time students? Assuming they do then if they can facilitate contract terms which have negotiable timeframes outside of the oft referred 12 month contract on the basis of a temporary occupancy one would have to question why they can't waive the remainder of any 12 month contact where occupancy of a particular address is the issue.

The key is in the word "may". If someone were to stick to their guns and cite consumer contract law I suspect, once NTL determined that they were serious and aware of their rights, that NTL would be very reticent to try and force the issue.

*Trust that bitch to butt in with a one sentence sensible answer!!

Fingy
04-10-2006, 21:12
:D Just because I'm not a gasbag and quoting all this fancy brainy stuff ;)

danielf
04-10-2006, 23:00
If someone were to stick to their guns and cite consumer contract law I suspect, once NTL determined that they were serious and aware of their rights, that NTL would be very reticent to try and force the issue.

Has anyone, as far as you are aware, forced this issue and gone to court over it?

popper
05-10-2006, 07:29
went to cab and they said put evrything in writing whitch i will do and the cable forum contact has been talking to me and said we have reached deadlock refered me to oftello so i contact them and they said as the 12 weeks are not up yet i need a letter of deadlock from ntl , phone up ask for the letter and i get Oh sorry cant have that 12 weeks have mnot passed ..

U refered me to them urgggg:mad:.
best address to write to would be helpful anybody?

it took a little looking as it is not linked off the standard ntlworld page, but in part it says this (its OTELO btw)

http://www.home.ntl.com/content/ebiz/ntlhome/page/terms/b3365_cop.pdf
NTL Code of Practice

"16. Dispute Resolution –
the Telecoms Ombudsman
OTELO
16.1 What is Dispute Resolution?
Because legal actions can be lengthy and expensive, ntl
offers a straight forward alternative to court action in
the form of a dispute resolution process for most claims
relating to services covered by this Code.

This is done through the Office of the
Telecommunications Ombudsman, known as
OTELO.

If you have a claim that may be legally enforceable, you may wish to seek your remedy against ntl through the courts or choose to resolve it through the OTELO dispute resolution process.

Dispute Resolution involves the use of an Ombudsman who is independent of ntl.

The service is free to consumers.

Otelo investigates customers’
complaints about communication services."

http://www.home.ntl.com/page/terms

it would seem the NTL:tw othered OTELO isnt really a werthwhile or indeed an effective option other that to give NTL:tw far more time than any court or even a DPA notice....

its also rather misleading (after reading up on CAG) to say "legal actions can be lengthy and expensive" given most people will/can use the N1 form and go through the small claims (upto £5000), its almost as if NTL:tw are trying to put you off the real courts !, for instance if your on a low income it might not cost anything (after filling in a simple court form) other than a few stamps and price of recorded delivery letter.

it would appear best not to even waste your time with that OTELO option and just take the direct route, you have asked over on
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/
i assume ?.

it might be fun to start a spot the unfair terms thread game:p:

(yes i know stuart, but its a related comment i cant let it pass without comment, it needs telling)
OB made me giggle when she said

Of course there's a cost - even if the property was alrteady cabled, and the cost of sending an engineer out to your house to complete the end of the install is present, the hardware, the manhours it takes to administer your account etc etc etc. There is a cost to EVERY install.

do you still work for NTL:tw OB?, you said elswere, you write these T&C's day in ,day out, which T&C did you have a hand in btw,your personal comment as regards NTL:tw costs and hence these are passed down to the users in the end, allow for the the likes of ntl contracted agents Qnet http://www.click2qnet.com and how they are being sent out to the users homes by NTL:tw Credit Control to disconnect fully payed up users by removing the cable spitter in the outside box of the house,and before knocking and asking the user if in fact the account is infact unpayed.

after finding out the BB was down, not hard as i was posting here at the time,after the usual what the F*&*&* are you doing mate, and he told me he's from NTL:tw and been sent to recover box etc,
i asked why he didnt ring my NTL:tw phonline to confirm what he was about to do and enquire as to weather i was infact in arrears etc, he tells me he rang my mobile, he couldnt give me the mobile No he had just rang though, funny that as i dont have a mobile and even if i did i woudnt give it to NTL:tw,he did then ring NTL:tw credit control and they confirm i am infact NOT in arrears but in CREDIT,so he can put back the splitter.

i asked how much they get per job, he replyed £150 , we have a talk about wasting users time, taking away service without confirmation and so on, i asked so your firm is getting £150 per job so now they have lost time and the cost of this job?, hes reply ohh no we will book it as 2 jobs, once for comeing out and removing the splitter and again as re-fittiing it, as credit control said i could put it back........

so the crux of it is, even though the OP and others are being told theres always a cost to it, it is infact the
NTL:tw staff and agents of them that is infact costing far in excess of any cost anyone might assign to the users.

to put into perspective, i beleave the standard callout charge for fitting or moveing a phone socket (far more work than the above)is £25., the user not being in when an NTL:tw turns up at a booked time is £10.

No, sadly, there are some unscrupulous buggers out there that just want to get you connected and get their commision. If they told you you had to pay for the full 12 months regardless, would you have signed up? My feeling is NO, and I can almost guarantee that was probably the salespersons feeling too.

it doesnt matter, they are emplyees and agents of NTL:tw so not our problem or any official excuse....
if an employee or and agent of theirs makes an agreement then its binding to NTL:tw under the T&Cs just like the user is bound to the T&Cs, unless their unlawful, and you wouldnt want to imply NTL:tw are knowingly ignoring the agreements as they think they are unlawful in their opinion....

after re-reading the ntl contracted agents Qnet you might think its a conman, WRONG, i can confirm for myself that infact that call he made is showing on the CS screens system as being made, so it is an official sanctioned agent and action.

thanks and respects to the new 3 months recrute Cris in CS for spending the time and entering all relevent facts about my case onto the notes system and chaising up not one, but 4 seperate, but linked problems coursed by some NTL:tw employed Credit Control person or people, and even confirming they(CC) had placed a £150 charge on my account without caurse, and he had now removed that and placed a note telling the next operator all about it incase of problems later (i know there will be, even after his great help, and thats no reflection on him or his work, just so thats clear).

popper
05-10-2006, 09:38
as a side note, i wonder how many people are coming home and finding their payed up BB is disconnected and having to wait 3 days+ to have the guy come back and reconnect?, thats what the Qnet guy said, after 3days+ ring NTL:tw to get it reconnected...

LixeL
05-10-2006, 11:11
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

At least some people are getting disconnected. I've been trying for months to get disconnected and each time I ring CS they tell me a different one of the services are still connected each time. Yesterday it was broadband still connected.

Why would anyone want to reconnect to NTL once they have cut you off? Just use the opportunity to move to a company that do reply to letters or emails and dont tell blatant lies every time you talk to them.