PDA

View Full Version : General multi-computer question

bairn7
17-09-2006, 20:01
Hi

Please excuse my ignorance but I have probably a really simple and stupid question.

First, Is it possible to use one TW cable modem for two comps if only one is connected at a time (ie putting modem connection into whichever computer I want to use at a certain time)?

Second, If I wanted to run two and used a cable router, would I have to buy two of the usb connectors, one for each computer? Alternatively, could one be connected by wire and one wireless?

Sorry if these questions are silly but I know virtually nothing about modems!

Any help appreciated!
Thanks
Paul

Paul K
17-09-2006, 20:07
If you go with a router then if your PC doesn't have built in ethernet ports then NIC cards are really cheap and easy to use (oposed to USB which can be a pain) but if you get a wireless router then yes, you could have one wired and one wireless or both wireless or both wired etc. You would of course need the necessary wireless or wired Cable router and the necessary wired/ wireless NIC cards or adaptors in the PC if required.
As to the first instance you could get 2 working as long as you reboot the SACM when changing the PCs over.

bairn7
17-09-2006, 21:24
Thanks for your help.

I tried plugging the modem into my new computer but it said limited service or no service, and it did't work. Hopefully this was just because I didn't reboot the modem, i'll give that a go.

Cheers again

Paul K
17-09-2006, 22:05
Power down the PC and modem, connect the 2nd PC, reboot modem, wait for lights to lock, reboot PC.