PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Registration

GMAN
16-12-2003, 11:58
Hi, I'm new to the forum so go easy on me.

I'm looking for advice regarding the registration procedure with NTL Broadband. My brother in law took out the 150K service and had his Modem installed 3 weeks ago.

3 Weeks later of speaking to NTL Tech support he has been informed that :-
1 - His operating system is faulty and needs to be stripped out and reloaded
2 - The version of Internet Explorer he uses is not supported (IE6)
and finally
3 - His computer is at fault.

Ignoring the fact that the documentation NTL have sent him includes an eight digit pin number and the system looks for a seven digit one and the PC and software has passed all the set up tests the above seems to be where NTL draw the line with helping the customer. The process seems to run ok (obtains IP address etc) until the final part where he gets to the NTL Screen informing you that you will be redirected for the final part of the process. The redirection takes place but then comes up "unable to display page"

Is there an easy fix for this? NTL seem to suffer from "Otherenditis" as as far as I can see the settings on his pc and browser seem ok, The NIC is working correctly and he has the correct lights on the modem.

Thanks

GMan

Nemesis
16-12-2003, 12:04
Hi, I'm new to the forum so go easy on me.

I'm looking for advice regarding the registration procedure with NTL Broadband. My brother in law took out the 150K service and had his Modem installed 3 weeks ago.

3 Weeks later of speaking to NTL Tech support he has been informed that :-
1 - His operating system is faulty and needs to be stripped out and reloaded
2 - The version of Internet Explorer he uses is not supported (IE6)
and finally
3 - His computer is at fault.

Ignoring the fact that the documentation NTL have sent him includes an eight digit pin number and the system looks for a seven digit one and the PC and software has passed all the set up tests the above seems to be where NTL draw the line with helping the customer. The process seems to run ok (obtains IP address etc) until the final part where he gets to the NTL Screen informing you that you will be redirected for the final part of the process. The redirection takes place but then comes up "unable to display page"

Is there an easy fix for this? NTL seem to suffer from "Otherenditis" as as far as I can see the settings on his pc and browser seem ok, The NIC is working correctly and he has the correct lights on the modem.

Thanks

GMan
Can he access any other sites, besides the NTL pages ?

GMAN
16-12-2003, 12:08

I don't think he can. It is the original registration so until this is carried out he can't look at anything at all as it isn't registered as an active cable modem with NTL to allow access to the great Cosmic Interweb.

imback
16-12-2003, 12:08

He wont be able to if he isn't registerd.

To be honest it sounds like it could be the PC at fault, if tech support have checked everything, like I said IF.

Ok so he gets and IP, can it ping out? Is there a proxy set? (if so untick it) Have tried opening IE and going to 62.253.162.131? If it's win 98 you may have to go through the internet conneciton wizard and set it to use LAN.

Also a repaire of IE in add remove programs sometimes solves problems with IE6 on 98/ME. If not refreshing network and communications (can tell you how if needed) may solve.

Frank
16-12-2003, 12:11
Has he got the newest version of the Broadjump installer? Alternatively, he should try https://62.253.162.131 (https://62.253.162.131/) (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/) as above and go through that.

PS. The serial number is ntl-ct8-cb485

GMAN
16-12-2003, 12:14
He wont be able to if he isn't registerd.

To be honest it sounds like it could be the PC at fault, if tech support have checked everything, like I said IF.

Ok so he gets and IP, can it ping out? Is there a proxy set? (if so untick it) Have tried opening IE and going to 62.253.162.131? If it's win 98 you may have to go through the internet conneciton wizard and set it to use LAN.

Also a repaire of IE in add remove programs sometimes solves problems with IE6 on 98/ME. If not refreshing network and communications (can tell you how if needed) may solve.

I haven't tried to ping out. The settings are for the proxy to be automatically detected (as per tech support) I've tried opening 62.253.162.131 but it still does not display the page. It is actually WinMe and we have tried the internet connection wizard but it goes back to unable to display the page. I managed to unload IE6 and take it back to an earlier version (IE5.5) but it made no difference. With regards to refreshing the network and communications any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

Frank
16-12-2003, 12:17
Try typing "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt and pasting the result back here. Try pinging www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com) and tell us if that works. If that doesn't work, then it does sound like the PC is a fault (assuming it has an IP address and no firewall set up).

GMAN
16-12-2003, 12:19
Try typing "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt and pasting the result back here.

I'm actually at work just now but I shall try that tonight for him and let you know how I get on.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, much appreciated.

imback
16-12-2003, 12:19
The fact you can't get to the site throguh IE suggests something is up. So the Ip the PC has (if an NTL IP) should begin with either 62, 80, 81, 82, or 213. So if it is one of those, go into a command prompt and type ping www.ntlworld.com and also ping 62.253.162.30 if it pings the IP and not URL then winsock2 files are borked (if this is the case I can PM you a fix for this I'll have to dig it out first). If it pings fine, then the conneciton is ok, so then it's IE.

So try the repaire in add/remove first, if it still doesn't work. Do the nets and comms. Will either need OS disk or CAB fils for this (ME has the cab files 99.9% of the time) Go into add/remove, then windows set up tab, untick communications, apply, re boot. Re tick comunications, apply, windows will copy files, re boot, try reg site through IE again.

Dooby
16-12-2003, 15:04
this may sound like a long shot, but have you had any other internet access on that machine before? ( i.e. AOL )

Sociable
16-12-2003, 15:14
Waiting for the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx to be posted later from the ipconfig /all :)

GMAN
17-12-2003, 09:17
Gents,

It now works. Tried most of what was posted above - could ping "www.ntlworld.com" and also the ip address so got back onto tech support. After going through the same rigmarole as the last couple of weeks and on point of giving up guy at the other end of the phone makes an "Oh" noise, couple of keystrokes and asked to try to connect again - Lo and behold straight on and registered.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.