PDA

View Full Version : Installation

huggons
16-09-2006, 18:31
We wrote the below letter to NTL. Does anyone have any experience what NTL may say or do?

Cheers

Steve

We are very happy with the service your offer. We have been customers of
yours for a number of years at this address and previously at another
address.

We are in the process of moving to a different house, namely XXXXXX. This house is situated on an estate, which was build approximately 5 years ago, by David Wilson homes.

We have discovered that although you do offer your services to certain
homes in the street, this only extends from number 1 -18, thus not
covering the property we are purchasing.

We are extremely disappointed that it would appear that we would not be
able to take advantage of your service and find it difficult to
understand why NTL is not available to all addresses on the estate.

We are aware that the property is currently connected to BT and as there
is no overhead wires, presumably there must be an underground duct where
the BT service is fed in from. If there is already an underground duct
in place for telecommunication cables, can this not be used to feed a
telecommunication cable up to number 36?

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible with a response
to my query.

Yours faithfully,

Druchii
16-09-2006, 18:44
They could possibley ask you to pay for the installation, which would require digging up and adding of certain things. Or they could tun round and say no.

Or, they could seek permission and pull you a cable, and everything will be all fine and dandy... which do you thijnk will happen ;)

homealone
16-09-2006, 19:08
this thread

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=50198

seems to suggest charging the customer for installation may be an option, but I would wait to see what they say in the reply to the letter. :)

sollp
16-09-2006, 19:16
Unless you are willing to pay for the extra ducting to extend the NTL ducting already in place or which might be the case that a new cabinet might need to be installed as well to feed Number 18 onwards. This would obviously cost thousands to install which NTL would not at present be willing to pay out for for just one potential customer.

Also the BT duct that runs to the house is BT's and nothing to do with NTL.

So basically forget it, unless you can get all the rest of the street that isn't currently supplied by NTL to become definite customers and not potential, even saying this wouldn't guarantee that they would carry out the work.

huggons
24-09-2006, 09:21
Thanks for the replys guys.

Ntl have now e mailed me with the below repsonses, however they did not answer my original questions. Any advise now, or shall I accept that I will never be able to use NTL services at the house?

Cheers

Steve

Thank you for your recent email.
Unfortunately the house number you live we do not service with ntl, at the moment we have no information to pass onto regarding ducting of the street.
If we decide in the near future to service your property we will let you know.

Regards
ntl Admin Support

Thank you for your recent email.

I regret that we do not have information on the owning of the ducting in
that street.

The likelihood would be that the constructions issues would have been
too costly to resolve foe certain areas of the street. It could also be
a matter of permissions that may have prevented certain areas being
included.

Regards,

Customer Concern Team
Ntl:Telewest

Hi

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

As the cable running underground belongs to BT, i am afraid that we
wouldn't have permission to enter our own cables into the duct.

For any further queires please contact a memebr of our Customer Service
Team on 0845 454 0000

Regards

ntl Admin Support

Nedkelly
24-09-2006, 09:33
Hi there those emails look like standard ones they send out :td: Its a problem all over Ntl just stopped building the network due to lack of funds .We have new estates in Grimsby where half can have Ntl and the other cant .Lets hope they will finish these aeras soon .It was a question asked at meeting with the big wigs there answer yes we would like to finish off these aeras but i wouldnt hold my breath:td:

huggons
24-09-2006, 10:10
Hi there those emails look like standard ones they send out :td: Its a problem all over Ntl just stopped building the network due to lack of funds .We have new estates in Grimsby where half can have Ntl and the other cant .Lets hope they will finish these aeras soon .It was a question asked at meeting with the big wigs there answer yes we would like to finish off these aeras but i wouldnt hold my breath:td:

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it is worth putting in writing to NTL's Head Office?

Steve

Nedkelly
24-09-2006, 10:18
I would put in a letter and see what reply you get:)

huggons
24-09-2006, 10:34
I would put in a letter and see what reply you get:)

Will do. Cheers Mate

Steve

huggons
28-10-2006, 10:58
Hi Guys,

A bit of a development on the NTL cable availability issue. NTL say that they can definitely not provide the service, however I have spoken to AOL, who say that they can provide the cable service. AOL say that they will send out a NTL and an AOL engineer to survey the property and have the cable fit at the expense of AOL, as long as I sign up with AOL for a 12 month contract.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Steve

sssshhhh
28-10-2006, 11:59
If you can get a survey done at least you get to speak to someone about your property face to face, rather than those annoying automated emails. However if NTL have said they definately can't do it then it doesn't look too hopeful. If its a case of extending the ducting from number 18 to 36 it could be quite costly. if AOL agree to pay for this thats great, although they may refuse as the difference in money they get from you over 12 months versus the money they have to pay out to get you installed may be too great.
Go for the survey and best of luck :-)

Red Robin
30-10-2006, 09:56
Can you advise whereabouts in the country you are please? I MAY be able to help, but it depends where you are. When I say help I mean at least confirm 100% what the situation is.

With regards to your comments over using the BT duct, we can't do that. BT network belongs exclusively to BT (as do their sockets, internal wiring, etc). Using it would be in contravention of our licence agreement... sorry thats not an option. But if you can advise where you are, I can maybe at least check that you are off-net and what the reason for that is?

HTH

huggons
30-10-2006, 17:35
PM sent