PDA

View Full Version : Installation at property with no NTL box/cable?

steve_smith
16-09-2006, 11:56
Hello,

We're moving house on Thursday next week, and have NTL booked to come and install Broadband and Phone services on the Friday morning.

The bloke I spoke to in sales said that it would be no problem because the house had previously been connected to NTL's network. Was very pleased at the time, because it meant we would only be without phone/internet for 1 day (BT told us it could take a fortnight just to get the phone line sorted out).

However, popped round to the house this morning to run through all the "moving in" type stuff with the current owners, who tell me that as far as they are aware, there is no NTL service to the property. They used to have NTL many years ago, but the brown box on the outside wall (and presumably the cable feed from the street) has long since been removed. Best case scenario, there is no box on the wall, and the end of the cable is buried somewhere under some block-paving.

I phoned NTL Customer Services to tell them this, and they said the guy coming to install our phone/internet next Friday would "sort all that out".

However (having been fobbed off by NTL in the past), I have a funny feeling this isn't true.

Can any of the knowledgable people on here tell me whether the engineer who comes to do the final part of the install (ie. hooks up a new telephone/internet connection) can also install a new cable from the street?

My memory of NTL is that a separate team of people have to do that bit.

Just looking for reassurance (because I work from home and really need broadband/phone ASAP after moving) that come Friday lunch time, everything will be up and running.

What I don't want to be told on Friday is that they have to get a separate team round to do it, and I might have to wait weeks or months. I'd rather know that now, because it might be quicker to go with BT!

Cheers,

Steve.

Marge
16-09-2006, 12:23
Ring C/S again and ask if the install supervisor can be contacted to get a "site survey" done this week so if anything does need doing then at least you will be aware beforehand and any "construction" work can be actioned asap. It might be a slight delay in getting your install done but at least you will be aware rather than finding out on the day.....

Nedkelly
17-09-2006, 07:36
Hi if the box on the wll is missing and the cable in the garden is not there .Ntl will have to send a 2 man crew to reinstall these services.Most reconnect work is carried out by one tech and he does not carrry the equipment to do this.As marge has said ring them up and explain this good luck

steve_smith
17-09-2006, 17:55
Thanks, will phone them again tomorrow.

You would think customer services would know this.

Although I suppose its easier for them to fob me off, and let the poor engineer get the surprise when he turns up.

Stu038
17-09-2006, 18:13
You would think customer services would know this.

Unfortunatly many CSRs are not educated about anything other than how to answer the phones :( though in ntls defence attempts in the past to provide such education and experience have often been treated with disdain by said CSRs

Nedkelly
17-09-2006, 18:34
I would like to see some kind of question sheet for csrs to ask customers .Is there a Box on the outside of property is there evidence of a cable in the garden.And is there wiring on the out side of the house but no this can not be done :mad: Simple questions but they think it might cause more wasted truck rolls.

spike7451
18-09-2006, 02:30
I would like to see some kind of question sheet for csrs to ask customers .Is there a Box on the outside of property is there evidence of a cable in the garden.And is there wiring on the out side of the house but no this can not be done :mad: Simple questions but they think it might cause more wasted truck rolls.

Ned,When any new csr's started with us in Belfast,they used to come out with us Install/Fault tech's for a week to get a feel for the job.
Sounds lik a re-pull with some construction to me,eh?

Fingy
18-09-2006, 08:07
Going out with an install/fault tech was part of the standard Induction training in Belfast, I know they did this in Cardiff too but not sure about anywhere else.

sssshhhh
18-09-2006, 12:58
Going out with an install/fault tech was part of the standard Induction training in Belfast, I know they did this in Cardiff too but not sure about anywhere else.

This indeed was the case in Cardiff. CSR's would be sent out with installers, as well as completing a short induction on the installation process. I worked in faults/installs despatch for 5 years, back in the day when we were trained and expected to deal with any query/issue and fix it. and we were regularly sent out with installers/fault techs/network techs. We were also on first name terms with all the engineers, and as a result we picked up local network knowledge from them. If the csr was ever in doubt about anything a quick 2 min call upstairs to us would clear it up. leaving a happy customer. but then the redundancies hit, local centres closed, depts got shunted from pillar to post....we all know the rest.

I would definately ring NTL and ask for a two man crew as nedkelly suggested to avoid dissapointment.