PDA

View Full Version : Dire throughput in Belfast 4Mb connection

declanh
15-09-2006, 20:40
Throuput here has been below par for a few days but has hit a nadir this evening.
I just ran the adsl speedtest ... and the results are somewhat depressing.

Speed Test Results
Downstream 129.9 Kbps ( = 0.1 Mbps ) Upstream 317.9 Kbps ( = 0.3 Mbps )

anyone else seeing performance this bad (esp in belfast)
Tried rebooting pc,router and cable modem - made Zero difference.
Same performance from my desktop and laptop - so its not the computer either.

:mad:

redstar1
18-09-2006, 21:24
It's been pretty dodgy over the weekend and awful today.

Wouldn't mind hearing some official comment on this.

declanh
18-09-2006, 22:09
It's been pretty dodgy over the weekend and awful today.

Wouldn't mind hearing some official comment on this.

Well my throughput is still as bad as ever, after a (rather painful) call to NTL tech support, its their conclusion that ive a duff modem... they are coming tomorrow night to replace it - so it will be interesting to see.

Interesting enought they said to me

"If we call at the arranged time any you are not there we will fine you 10 pounds"

To which I said

"sounds fair enough to me - as long as you pay me 10 pounds if NTL dont turn up"....

to which they replied

"no,no.... it does not work like that ....."

hmmmmm, not terribly fair that - do they always make this threat or is it just me :-)

Fingy
18-09-2006, 22:22
Whereabouts in Belfast... guessing if thats the redstar I know its the east?

declanh
18-09-2006, 22:25
Whereabouts in Belfast... guessing if thats the redstar I know its the east?
cant comment for redstar, but im in north belfast

Druchii
18-09-2006, 22:26
Well my throughput is still as bad as ever, after a (rather painful) call to NTL tech support, its their conclusion that ive a duff modem... they are coming tomorrow night to replace it - so it will be interesting to see.

Interesting enought they said to me

"If we call at the arranged time any you are not there we will fine you 10 pounds"

To which I said

"sounds fair enough to me - as long as you pay me 10 pounds if NTL dont turn up"....

to which they replied

"no,no.... it does not work like that ....."

hmmmmm, not terribly fair that - do they always make this threat or is it just me :-)
They always make this threat, then don't turn up and charge you a tenner anyway ;)

Fingy
18-09-2006, 22:28
cant comment for redstar, but im in north belfast

If you want me to check that the tech is booked properly etc once one of the team has confirmed I'm not a random stark raving loony you can PM me your details and I'll have a looksee.

I'm in South Belfast and my connection seems fine to me.

declanh
18-09-2006, 22:50
Just ran the speedtest again and its now
Speed Test Results
Downstream 117.8 Kbps ( = 0.1 Mbps ) Upstream 307.6 Kbps ( = 0.3 Mbps )

which is marginally worse. Tech support call tried various tests (they freaked out a bit when i told them my pc had a manual IP configured (for good reason), and a router)
. They eventually came to the conclusion its the modem however since the same probs occured with DHCP And direct connection to the modem. Its an ancient ntl home 120 so was probably due for replacement soon anyway.

redstar1
18-09-2006, 23:10
Well it depends what redstar you know:) But yeah I'm east now, both modems i have giving same problems. Not awfully slow but not what I'm used to with 4mb for definite.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Well at the minute the adslguide speedtest is pretty dire, but i'm getting reasonable but erratic speeds on downloads I would normally expect to max my connection (mirror.ac.uk, newsgroups). It seems better now than over the weekend but still seems shaky.

familymahone
19-09-2006, 20:03
My connection keeps dropping offline, speed is good while I'm on but it will die every now and again and only a modem reboot fixes the problem. Starting to irritate me.

declanh
19-09-2006, 21:47
ntl tech came today and replaced my dodgy modem - all is well again - excellent thoughput now

Fingy
19-09-2006, 22:00
Good as I checked today and there are no major network issues known about currently in Belfast so if anyone has any I would suggest giving tech support a call to alert them of a possible issue.

declanh
19-09-2006, 22:47
Good as I checked today and there are no major network issues known about currently in Belfast so if anyone has any I would suggest giving tech support a call to alert them of a possible issue.

Cheers, thanks Fingy for checking.

D