PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii - US Release 19th Nov

Gareth
14-09-2006, 15:58
Sources: http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/live-at-nintendos-nyc-wii-press-conference/ and http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/nintendo-wii-november-19th-250/

In case you've not heard already, the Wii is being released in the US before Japan... the Yanks will be getting it on Nov 19th, whilst the Japanese will have to wait until Dec 2nd.

Key facts so far...
"MSRP: $249. One price, one config, one color: white. This simplicity allows us to maximize volume throughout the Americas. Our shipment goal worldwide is 4M consoles during the 43 days between launch and Dec 31. The Americas will receive the largest share, a continuous flow of units."
First-party titles are $49.99, we expect 30 launch titles.
We'll also offer consumers widest range of launch titles in history of video games. The list is big, new and nostalgic, unique, bringing new type of entertainment. Signature title: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Excitetruck, both available on launch.
"These titles are just the tip of the iceberg." There are many third-party games as well. Call of Duty 3. Tony Hawk, Trauma Center, Madden NFL 07, Need For Speed: Carbon, Elebits, Metal Slug Anthology, Barnwayrd, Cards, Avatar, Blaazing Angels, Far Cry: Vengeance, Red Steel, Ray Man...
Wii Channels - Find universal appeal for Wii. Create entry point for Wii with those nongamers. The Wii Channels menu -- all this is unique to Wii. "We believe that Wii Channels can change the interface between TV viewers, internet, and their games. When Wii is connected and in standby, user will first see unique channel menu. Contain initial page of Wii Channels, but it's expandable. The first channel is the Disc Channel or 130 Game Cube Discs. Shop channel, download the best of classic games."

Still no word of a European release date... guess we'll have to wait for the Euro Press Releases.

I think we're gonna be needing a Nintendo area of the forums very soon ;)

Nugget
14-09-2006, 16:00
I'd be interested to see how many people are thinking of buying one of these. Personally, I'm happy with my 360 (I'm not even considering getting a PS3), so does there appear to be a noticeable difference in the Wii?

Halcyon
14-09-2006, 16:20
I think it will attract a lot of people....not only the loyal Nintendo fans that can play the classic Nintendo titles and more, but also people who want to try something different.
Nintendo are awlays wanting to try something new....look at the DS. It has prooved highly succesful. The Wii's unique controllers and way of interacting with games will make people want to atleast give it a go.

Gareth
14-09-2006, 16:27
I think it offers a lot of bang per buck. Although graphically it won't be as good as the 360 nor the PS3 (if that ever sees the light of day ;)) but Nintendo have added lots of extra content, the Wii Channels, the online communities, the photos/media centre stuff, etc... that will appeal to a lot of people. Piggy-backing on a user's internet connection instead of charging an additional fee is also a good idea :tu:

The RRP is a masterstroke... $250 = £135ish, which will undoubtedly be bumped up slightly when they add on the mandatory "Rip off Britain" tax, but it's still a damned impressive price for a next-gen console that ships with a game included :)

punky
14-09-2006, 16:49
All sounds a bit too good to be true. Appears cheap... No rip extras like 50 quid Xbox propriatry wi-fi adaptors. Top quality 'branded' games titles... Plenty of multimedia features (includes card reading which the 360 etc don't have). The nun-chuck adaptor should finally make FPS playable on a console...

I must admit, i've been thinking about maybe a 360 for Christmas, I might get a Wii.

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

Although graphically it won't be as good as the 360 nor the PS3 (if that ever sees the light of day ;))

Have you see any comparisons show how much worse it is or what PC it is comparable to mate?

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Apparently, its an Xbox 1.5, so between Xbox and Xbox 360.

Oh yeah... It comes with an instant access web browser. I'd love to know if it comes if the built-in media player can play media across a LAN, that would be awesome.

Halcyon
14-09-2006, 20:46
Nintendo have always had good prices with their consoles.
The Gamecube was cheap too. Much more realistic than Sony's big prices.
I remember when the first X Box came out for something ridiculous and they had to constantly lower the price.

zing_deleted
14-09-2006, 21:04
A new console a new console shall I buy 1 ??

Nah:)

Stephen
14-09-2006, 22:40
Apparently the Euro press show will take place tomorrow. Sound like it might actually be a really interesting system to have.

Tezcatlipoca
15-09-2006, 02:11
Hmmmm......

The Wii is looking very tempting. And cheap.

I won't be getting a PS3, and I already have a 360, but I may end up having to get a Wii too.

Mmmm, next gen Zelda.....

NEONKNIGHT
15-09-2006, 11:02
Hmmmm......

The Wii is looking very tempting. And cheap.

I won't be getting a PS3, and I already have a 360, but I may end up having to get a Wii too.

Mmmm, next gen Zelda.....

I would recommend anyone who is even a bit tempted about the Nintendo Wii to register their interest with their local game shop or web supplier. I have at GAME and it doesn't cost a penny to get your name on the pre-order list/updates. :tu:

Tightscot
15-09-2006, 11:14
there seems to be lots of info 'trickling out' about the wee...

Gareth
15-09-2006, 15:19
UK & Euro info now released...

Recommended Retail Price
UK: £179.99 (boo hiss... why the GB tax?)
Europe: €249.99

Release Date
UK/Europe: December 8th

:hyper:

King Of Fools
15-09-2006, 15:35
Recommended Retail Price
UK: £179.99 (boo hiss... why the GB tax?)
Europe: €249.99
Because Gordon Brown is greedy? ;)

But, seriously, the US price converts to about £160 when adding on VAT, the EU price converts to about £170 so why is it £180 in the UK?

http://www.wii.com/

Stephen
15-09-2006, 17:48
Affordable system for gamers, newcomers and families

15th September 2006 - Today at a press conference held in London’s Docklands, Mr Iwata, Global President of Nintendo Co., Ltd. unveiled a new dimension in home entertainment. Nintendo announced ways to involve every member of the family in gaming via the new Wii console, as well as the much-anticipated price, date and software line-up for the console’s European launch.

Wii is set to revolutionise the face of gaming when it launches in Europe on 8th December 2006 at an estimated retail price of 249 Euros (£179 in the UK), bundled with Wii Sports. Accompanying the console launch will be around 20 software titles including Wii Play and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and from third party publishers launch games include: Ubisoft’s RED STEEL, EA’s Need for Speed: Carbon, Activision’s Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam, THQ’s Disney/ Pixar’s Cars and Sega’s Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz.

Included with every Wii console is one wireless Wii Remote, one Nunchuk, and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disk which anyone can play using simple physical movements.

Nintendo today set a new direction for the video games industry by using state of the art technology not just for enhancing graphics and processing power but to introduce new people to the world of video games by creating brand new entertainment that is fresh and accessible to everyone.

Mr Iwata, Nintendo’s President, outlined how the Wii would build on Nintendo’s learnings and existing success with DS and continue this expansion of the gaming audience in unique and unprecedented ways.

With Wii, Nintendo aims to create a console that can be enjoyed by every member of the family. Every Wii console will include a series of on-screen “channels” that make up the Wii Channel Menu. The Wii Channel Menu is the starting point for all of the console’s functions. The “channels” offer a gateway to a rich variety of entertainment options. When connected to a TV, the Wii Channel Menu offers a simple interface letting users pick games to play, get news or weather, view and send photos or even create playable caricatures of themselves to use in actual games. Additional functions allow users to download classic games to Wii’s Virtual Console.

Nintendo believe that encouraging users to pick up the controller to access the internet quickly, check the news or see tomorrow's weather is one way of ensuring that everyone in the household can use, interact and ultimately engage with Wii. And once users have picked up the controller to perform these basic functions, it’s a small step to get involved in some more fun game play action.

Wii launches across Europe on 8th December 2006 at the estimated retail price of 249 Euros (£179 in the UK). Nintendo first party games will retail at the estimated retail price of between 49 Euros and 59 Euros (£34 to £39 in the UK).

Additional controllers will also be available from launch at the estimated retail prices of: Wii Remote - 39 Euros (£29 in UK), Nunchuk – 19 Euros (£14 in UK) and the Classic Controller – 19 Euros (£14 in UK)

For further information about the Wii console, visit Wii.com

I am going to get one now. It sounds very good and a great price too, considering it comes packaged with Wii sports and one contoller and Nunchuck attachment.

I like the original OS of the console already, with all the channels of news and weather etc.

King Of Fools
15-09-2006, 19:14
I like the original OS of the console already, with all the channels of news and weather etc.
Me too! It will come in very useful over the next few years when they start to switch off Teletext.

Halcyon
15-09-2006, 19:55
Looks very good.
No doubt they will sell out completly so if you have not pre-ordered as yet, you should do now.

Downloads
15-09-2006, 20:27
Agreed, pre-ordered mine already and am very early in the queue!

Hapwii Christmas everybody!

Ramrod
15-09-2006, 21:40
Hmm...........consol gaming.....might get one for the kids......

Downloads
16-09-2006, 00:33
Hmm...........consol gaming.....might get one for the kids......

I got a PC for my toddler who wanted to play games

NEONKNIGHT
16-09-2006, 12:54
The price seems very good but as with other consoles don't forget that game shops etc bundled the consoles with games, doubling the price in some cases. Greed all round.:td:

punky
16-09-2006, 13:00
Bit tempted but I would want to see the graphics for myself... Its a shame its not as good as the 360. I'd also want to know what the nunchukka adaptor is like as that's a big draw for me.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

The price seems very good but as with other consoles don't forget that game shops etc bundled the consoles with games, doubling the price in some cases. Greed all round.:td:

When that happened to the 360s, apparently people had quite good success asking store managers etc if they can buy the console only.

AndrewJ
20-09-2006, 19:03
Just shoved my £20 deposit for one today I love the design of it and since it plays Gamecube games I can flog the one I have when I get it to a friend of mine.

Bonus!

Downloads
20-09-2006, 20:10
Bit tempted but I would want to see the graphics for myself... Its a shame its not as good as the 360. I'd also want to know what the nunchukka adaptor is like as that's a big draw for me.

The graphics were never ever going to be as good though, they didn't spend any time on it, graphics arn't everything, it's gameplay that makes good games, not graphics. So i wouldn't be put off.