PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Connection Sth Manchester

scrotnig
13-09-2006, 19:26
All yesterday and today my SACM connection (ntl 120) is dropping every few minutes.

When it's on, it's fine, but then the modem will drop and reboot itself.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

Sorry for the short post...at that point I was not even getting a minute between reboots.

It's now held for about eight mins.

Has anyone else in the area been experiencing this? It started this morning and at that time the DTV froze as well. Usually now the DTV stays on but sometimes that goes as well.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

From the config page:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.96 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.93 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.25 dBmv

Is that good, bad or otherwise?

Begize
13-09-2006, 19:42
I'm in Stockport and no problems here.

homealone
13-09-2006, 19:48
All yesterday and today my SACM connection (ntl 120) is dropping every few minutes.

When it's on, it's fine, but then the modem will drop and reboot itself.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

Sorry for the short post...at that point I was not even getting a minute between reboots.

It's now held for about eight mins.

Has anyone else in the area been experiencing this? It started this morning and at that time the DTV froze as well. Usually now the DTV stays on but sometimes that goes as well.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

From the config page:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.96 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.93 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.25 dBmv

Is that good, bad or otherwise?

according to here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=430166&postcount=1

the levels look just about ok

scrotnig
13-09-2006, 21:56
Hmm I thought that too.

It's getting worse now, drops every two minutes or so.

Tech support (in India) say my signal is weak, but it doesn't look like it is to me.

They have said there is nothing they can do. :(

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Hmm...it just got worse....changed to just the D/S light flashing on and off, no sync or ready lights.

Rang ntl and informed them, they agreed with me that it could be a faulty modem, in any event they have booked a callout for tomorrow afternoon.

Can't fault that.

And I have to say, although I was speaking to India, which I am vehemently opposed to, they handled it very well and seemed to know what to do.

I'd still rather it was in Swansea but as Indian call centre experiences go, that was among the better ones.

Of course, after I came off the phone it locked back on and is now working, but it will go off again.

scrotnig
14-09-2006, 15:01
Update.

Engineer came about half an hour ago. As soon as he saw I had a 120 modem he said it needed changing to a 250. He says when a 120 gets old it often starts rebooting, especially on 4mb.

He has changed it to a new 250, all seems well. It is too soon to say if it has definitely fixed the problem, but I suspect it probably has.

Have to say though.....not just good, but brilliant service. I defy anyone to find me another broadband supplier who can log a fault at almost 9pm and have an engineer on site by 1.30 pm the next day and have a new modem installed and working.

I doubt any other supplier could match this or even come close. Fantastic!

(It was never this good when I worked there! :erm: )

Ragunboneman
15-09-2006, 18:18
Wish you had not said that, I have a 120 on 4Mb....lol

Least I will know the cure.