PDA

View Full Version : NTL in Glasgow keeps disconnecting

Lyris
13-09-2006, 17:57
I could honestly scream. Just as it did at this time last year, my cable modem (1mb) access has gone down the tubes. Every so often, the connection will cut out, only to come back on its own, about 5-10 seconds later. This affects both my computer, and another one on the network, as well as the Xbox.

Not a HUGE pain if you're just browsing web pages, but enough to totally ruin online games. Try playing Halo 2 and then suddenly having the thing cut out and say "Game Over" 15 minutes in!! :mad:

NTL's tech support is utterly useless, "disconnect the modem", "there doesn't appear to be a problem" etc etc, so I'm asking here for help. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Here's my setup:

Windows XP SP2
Connected to my Netgear WGR614 (v6) router via Ethernet (wired)
Modem connected to router also through Ethernet
Static IP address

Thanks in advance for any help.

scrotnig
13-09-2006, 18:00
I could honestly scream. Just as it did at this time last year, my cable modem (1mb) access has gone down the tubes. Every so often, the connection will cut out, only to come back on its own, about 5-10 seconds later. This affects both my computer, and another one on the network, as well as the Xbox.

Not a HUGE pain if you're just browsing web pages, but enough to totally ruin online games. Try playing Halo 2 and then suddenly having the thing cut out and say "Game Over" 15 minutes in!! :mad:

NTL's tech support is utterly useless, "disconnect the modem", "there doesn't appear to be a problem" etc etc, so I'm asking here for help. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Here's my setup:

Windows XP SP2
Connected to my Netgear WGR614 (v6) router via Ethernet (wired)
Modem connected to router also through Ethernet
Static IP address

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a similar issue in Manchester, the modem keeps rebooting itself.

It's longer than 5 seconds, more like about 30 for the connection to return.

Happens about every five mins on average.

Derek
13-09-2006, 18:44
It happens to me sometimes in G76.

More often in hot weather or if the connection is getting hammered.

Once it starts it'll happen every 10-15 minutes for a few hours then settle down.

Lyris
13-09-2006, 20:21
G61 here. It's done it another three times tonight.

Does anyone know how I'd get some actual service from NTL instead of just the usual call centre excuses? Do I write a nasty letter to someone?

scrotnig
13-09-2006, 20:23
My connection in Manchester is now lasting no more than five minutes at a time before I have to reset the modem.

It's been doing this since this morning when it was off for 20 mins, the DTV was down too.

Whatever went wrong at that point, has not been put right.

Yet when it *is* on, speeds are perfectly normal. Odd.

Lyris
13-09-2006, 20:53
Yep, same thing. Normal speeds but unreliable connection.

scrotnig
13-09-2006, 21:23
I have an engineer coming tomorrow as we suspect a possible faulty modem. Though that wouldn't explain why the DTV froze this morning when the problem started. DTV is ok now though.

I have a 120 and upgrading to something new wouldn't hurt.

Lyris
13-09-2006, 22:45
Oh, I forgot to add - I've already replaced both the modem AND the router (happned with the old ones too) so that rules those out!

Lyris
14-09-2006, 21:13
It's done it again about 6-7 times today. Scrotnig, any luck fixing it for you? Or do I have to call NTL and tell them I want to cancel to get anywhere?

djstevie
14-09-2006, 22:35
Your lucky you an get ANYTHING,,,,,been on vacation for 4 months...downgraded to 1meg (from 10) before i went as missus doesnt use the comp much....went back to 10 meg today and cant access ANY webpages apart from this one....Apparently after 2 hours on the fone to NTL its my modem...which happens to be a Terayon, and was working fine previously....hope i get a new one when the eng visits on saturday :rolleyes:

scrotnig
14-09-2006, 23:22
It's done it again about 6-7 times today. Scrotnig, any luck fixing it for you? Or do I have to call NTL and tell them I want to cancel to get anywhere?

The engineer fitted a new 250 modem and that stopped the reboots.

My average spped has dropped though, slightly, from a consistent 3.8 to around 3.0.

But overall it is sorted.

Lyris
19-09-2006, 00:31
Scrotnig, what is the 250 modem? The one I have is very small and transparent dark blue.

It's been doing it all day now. I'm calling NTL tomorrow and telling them I'm leaving if they don't fix it. This is a joke.

Derek
19-09-2006, 07:58
Scrotnig, what is the 250 modem? The one I have is very small and transparent dark blue.

Thats the 250. It's the same as the one I've got which has been slightly better in the last few days.

SnoopsWarner
21-09-2006, 13:25
Very fragile connection in PA8. Speeds are usually quite slow, too.

WooHoo!!!
22-09-2006, 15:44
Ah, not just me then. Glasgow too. It keeps dropping in and out recently, had to reset the modem many times, but have been doing that over the last 2 months or so on quite a few occasions.

Lyris
23-10-2006, 17:13
Still doing it for me. Anyone got a fix yet?

I've called NTL and the useless Indian call centre tells me the usual, "unplug the router, connect it directly, see if it still happens", I ALREADY HAVE!!

The support is utterly useless, does anyone know how I can get through to the UK call centre, in the hope they'll be more helpful?

I'm almost ready to ditch NTL and go with another ISP because of this, there is absolutely no help when you need it.

SnoopsWarner
23-10-2006, 20:57
Time how frequent the outages are.

I get five minutes online, disconnect for fifty seconds, and then five minutes again. This is on a new Modem too.

Lyris
24-10-2006, 15:11
They're completely random - but I never get as little as 5 minutes, it's more like every few hours.

afraser2k
25-10-2006, 11:44
I am getting the same thing with a Surfboard SB3100. I'm in Glasgow on the 10Mb broadband service.

sav112
25-10-2006, 17:38
Glasgow as i have said in other posts is really bad! i was thinking going over to a service using the Bt line to the house.

jeffs
26-10-2006, 02:39
I've been getting a weird disconnection too. I'm in the South side of Glasgow, G74. I'm not sure if my problem is the same as everyone elses though. My modem cuts out completely every now and again (all the lights go off as if the power has cut out), and I have to turn the power supply off/on. Is this the same as everyone else, or is my modem overheating and just knackered? I've only had it (NTL 250) for 6 months.

Derek
26-10-2006, 13:36
Mine was OK until today when its started cutting out again.

The wierd thing is if I look in the modem config screen it says the Network Access is denied and the upstream/downstream rates are 0.
If I leave it for a bit then it goes back to normal after a few minutes.

SnoopsWarner
27-10-2006, 22:35
Rather than suggest a fix, can anyone else suggest a decent ISP?

Lyris
08-11-2006, 18:42
Now on my 3rd new modem, NTL engineer has checked the signal strength which is supposedly fine, problem persists.

As the poster above suggested, can anyone recommend an alternative ISP?