PDA

View Full Version : New window wont open when i click a link. Why??

Skweeky
29-06-2003, 16:56
Help please!!
For some reason when I click on a link that opens a new window, the window is opening but is not displaying anything. Just getting black screen with hour glass displayed.
Using win98 with IE 6
Don't have any pop up stoppers installed. Tried to reinstall windows but that didnt help. Any suggestions as to what I can do? No idea what could be causing it. Have tried several differnt sites but wont open a pop up or a window in another screen.
Any suggestions appreciated.

kronas
29-06-2003, 17:01
i had the problem with windows ME once a reformat cured it :shrug:

Skweeky
29-06-2003, 17:02
Yeah have considered that but never done it before and had this PC for about 4 years. Very scary thought. Not sure what I would have to do. Would really only like to do that as last resort. Tried reinstalling windows but that hasnt made any difference.

kronas
29-06-2003, 17:05
Originally posted by Skweeky
Yeah have considered that but never done it before and had this PC for about 4 years. Very scary thought. Not sure what I would have to do. Would really only like to do that as last resort. Tried reinstalling windows but that hasnt made any difference.

ok go to add and remove and uninstall ie6 or try the repair button

warning though i nuked ME while doing this so you have been warned

matty4donna
29-06-2003, 17:18
I had this problem in Win 2000 with IE6 the other day but i cant for the life of me remember what was causing it, if i remember ill let you know. Just dont go formatting yet ;)

Skweeky
29-06-2003, 17:23
Well gonna jump up to my friends to see if he can give me any clues but this one has got me stumped.
Will be back in about an hour. Will let you know if I get anywhere. But meanwhile keep suggestions coming :shrug:

distortal
29-06-2003, 18:11
Originally posted by matty4donna
I had this problem in Win 2000 with IE6 the other day but i cant for the life of me remember what was causing it, if i remember ill let you know. Just dont go formatting yet ;)
Yep, I had the same problem on my desktop with that setup, but not on the laptop, and they were both the same - go figure.

I found that, if you press Escape to stop the page loading, the Ctrl-R to Reload it, it might work.

Skweeky
29-06-2003, 18:21
Yeah that works, if i press escape the refresh the page.
Things getting even stranger. Will work as a short term fix but what the hell could be causing this? :mad:

swoop101
29-06-2003, 22:14
Look HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679)
to information. Talking Registry here so be careful:eek: :eek:

Other than that, try the service pack for IE, available HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp) .

HTH

J

zoombini
30-06-2003, 11:27
I had similar problems recently with IE5.5, so I had to uninstall it/go back a level to IE5 to fix it.
Now I will install IE5.5. again.

bo-peep
30-06-2003, 11:31
if all fails then get opera

distortal
02-07-2003, 11:27
Did you fix this problem? I'd like to know if/how you did for future reference :)

Skweeky
02-07-2003, 15:21
No sorry. Did not manage to fix this problem. Went through about 5 different fixes suggested in one the google support groups but these did not work either. I am just about to get a new PC anyway so think I will put up with it till then. Using netscape browser as a back up anyway.
But thanks for all the suggestions.