PDA

View Full Version : Directly Viewing The NTL Cache

neo123
13-09-2006, 02:20
Here is some very intresting reading I happened to browse onto today, some ISP's are caching P2P content, and that this reduces the load on the network and stilll allows users what they want. http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1185
http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-1027508.html

"This concept appears to be picking up steam, as several large ISPs are experimenting with the idea. NTL, a British broadband firm, has partnered with CacheLogic and BitTorrent in a bid to alleviate their bandwidth consumption."

I was wondering if there is any way you can directly access the cache, IE download files FAST, or a program that allows me to directly search the index of NTL's cache servers??? This would be so beneficial to NTL if they were to take up this ...

Stuart
13-09-2006, 11:27
Err, this is what the proxies do.. And, TBH, from an end user point of view, all it achieves is to add something else that can go wrong.

As for how to access the proxy content directly? Well, if you try and download a page or file from the internet, you will get a copy from the proxy, not from the internet site.

You can not opt to download something from the proxy. If the proxy server has the particular file, then you will get it from the proxy, however.

neo123
13-09-2006, 12:06
Yes, but this is for P2P content, IE Bitorrent,Gnutella,Edonkey etc etc., there are ISP's that cache this content, but I dont think NTL do this otherwise torrent speeds would surely be blazing.

So NTL have no plans installing one of those programs above to reduce load and allow someone to pick up a copy of somthing by SEARCHING the cache??

Stuart
13-09-2006, 12:45
Yes, but this is for P2P content, IE Bitorrent,Gnutella,Edonkey etc etc., there are ISP's that cache this content, but I dont think NTL do this otherwise torrent speeds would surely be blazing.

So NTL have no plans installing one of those programs above to reduce load and allow someone to pick up a copy of somthing by SEARCHING the cache??

It would probably operate in the same way. You wouldn't be able to access it, but if the cache has the file, you would download it from there anyway.

neo123
13-09-2006, 13:07
ahh so its pretty much pot luck to whether the cache server has the file or not. thanks for clearing it up :angel:

Graham M
13-09-2006, 14:18
ahh so its pretty much pot luck to whether the cache server has the file or not. thanks for clearing it up :angel:

Well can you imagine how much storage space it would take to download the whole entire Internet's worth of Linux ISOs? :)

neo123
13-09-2006, 15:43
lol fair point, it sure would take some hardware wouldnt it? What sort of size is NTL's cache anyways, i bet its TB's