PDA

View Full Version : A "gap" in the market

Salu
12-09-2006, 11:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/5315306.stm

What do you reckon to this? A good idea? A pointless mickey take? Political correctness gone cuckoo? Respect for other religion's practices?

The press wouldn't have printed a story saying "Jews NOT to be given Pork chops for lunch" so why have they done this? Maybe it's a cheap jibe?

I particularly like the line saying "...noticed a gap in the market"..... :) A comedic slip of the tongue?

Russ
12-09-2006, 11:14
Is it just me or does anyone else think they look a little sinister?

Salu
12-09-2006, 11:17
Do you mean the Burqua in general or the above picture?

Russ
12-09-2006, 11:18
That picture

danielf
12-09-2006, 11:20
Does this mean that, rather than amputating the wrong leg, doctors will now amputate a leg of the wrong patient?

Hugh
12-09-2006, 11:21
As long as it is not in white - it would look a little too much KKK then.

Tinky
12-09-2006, 11:21

erm..they would save on blankets no?

hatedbythemail
12-09-2006, 11:23
"They have been designed to comply with rules on women's dress which are part of the Muslim, Hindu, Orthodox Jewish and Rastafarian faiths." http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/health/s/222/222489_modesty_gowns_offered_to_women_patients.htm l?rss=yes

Kliro
12-09-2006, 11:23
They aren't for hospital staff, but for the patients.

It doesn't really bother me whatsoever as I don't see it should. However I wouldn't like to be treated by a nurse dressed like this.

Hugh
12-09-2006, 11:25
How would you take their temperatures?

(already regretting asking the question..............)

Salu
12-09-2006, 11:30
How would you take their temperatures?

(already regretting asking the question..............)

There's another gap round the back! :)

TheDaddy
12-09-2006, 11:35
They aren't for hospital staff, but for the patients.

It doesn't really bother me whatsoever as I don't see it should. However I wouldn't like to be treated by a nurse dressed like this.

Or worse a surgeon :)

orangebird
12-09-2006, 11:45
Womens modesty, my ****. I can picture it now, one of them giving birth - legs akimbo, regretting not getting that last wax, but, phew - at least my arms are covered up. :rolleyes:

Pia
12-09-2006, 11:56
So do they get specially made gowns made for them in their own country?

Salu
12-09-2006, 12:00
Womens modesty, my ****. I can picture it now, one of them giving birth - legs akimbo, regretting not getting that last wax, but, phew - at least my arms are covered up. :rolleyes:

Their moustache would be covered too.... ;)

[....I must try not to be so flippant....I must try not to......]

jtwn
12-09-2006, 12:08
Religious or not, its impratical and they also look stupid in them.

ian@huth
12-09-2006, 13:33
How can something like that be patented?:confused:

Jules
12-09-2006, 14:55

I thought so as well. The thought of me lieing in a hospital bed in a bad way seeing that might be enough to finish me off!!

Salu
12-09-2006, 15:16

We'll have to get Russell T Davies on the case straight away....:)

JediMaster
12-09-2006, 16:02
Or worse a surgeon :)

Well we dont see the Surgeon so for all we know He/She could be Fully Nude ot in a 1970's Shell Suit :D But a Nurse on a Ward attending to your every whim.... I would not Fancy waking up & seeing that inserting a Drip in me :Yikes: I would FREAK thinking I was in a Nightmare.

To be fair it does say: "Modesty gowns for female Patients" but next step is Nurses & Diner Ladies I bet :p:

Damien
12-09-2006, 16:15
So what? You do not have to wear them, people have the choice. Whats wrong with that?

Some religions dont want blood transfers and, as far as I know, the hospital has to meet this requirment. I think thats a lot worse.

Also the OP said about Jews and Pork. I am pretty sure Hosital food does have to take into account that as well.

So whats wrong with a different dress for Muslim patients.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/5315306.stm

What do you reckon to this? A good idea? A pointless mickey take? Political correctness gone cuckoo? Respect for other religion's practices?

The press wouldn't have printed a story saying "Jews NOT to be given Pork chops for lunch" so why have they done this? Maybe it's a cheap jibe?

I particularly like the line saying "...noticed a gap in the market"..... :) A comedic slip of the tongue?

Bingo :(

Maggy
12-09-2006, 16:27

Yep! The massed bands of the marines could have marched through the delivery room both times I was in labour and I wouldn't have turned a hair.You have other things to think and worry about.:tu:

Derek
12-09-2006, 18:31
Don't hospital staff have to wear ID badges at all times?

danielf
12-09-2006, 18:49
Don't hospital staff have to wear ID badges at all times?

What does that have to do with anything? The gowns are for patients, not staff...

Derek
12-09-2006, 18:58
What does that have to do with anything? The gowns are for patients, not staff...

Oops :erm:

Sorry I saw a story a few weeks ago about something similar for nurses instead of patients and assumed it was the same thing. Next time I'll actually read the words instead of looking at the pictures. :dunce:

hatedbythemail
12-09-2006, 21:14
Religious or not, its impratical and they also look stupid in them.they were designed by the linen services manacher at lancashire hospitals teaching trust and I guess she thinks theyre practical http://www.trustech.org.uk/news_detail.php?nid=139

as for looking stupid, stupidity is in the eye of the beholder, especially those who cannot recognise, accept and respect cultural difference ;-)

TheDaddy
13-09-2006, 15:05
they were designed by the linen services manacher at lancashire hospitals teaching trust and I guess she thinks theyre practical http://www.trustech.org.uk/news_detail.php?nid=139

as for looking stupid, stupidity is in the eye of the beholder, especially those who cannot recognise, accept and respect cultural difference ;-)

What are you saying here, that because a minority have different beliefs they are some how entitled to more modesty than the majority who have to put up with ill fitting gowns that don't tie up, its crap like this that plays right into people like the BNP's hands, the NHS is falling apart but there is money available for this.

punky
13-09-2006, 15:12
Now that Muslim women are sorted and happy, could the hospitals find it their way to actually to make gowns that fit properly, for the rest of us?

Funny Russ said they look sinister... First thing that came to my mind too.

Jules
13-09-2006, 15:17
Hunky has a good point what about our modesty with gowns that don't meet at the back because they are designed for ten year olds and when they do fit the ties are missing off them!

Russ
13-09-2006, 15:23
Hunky has a good point what about our modesty with gowns that don't meet at the back because they are designed for ten year olds and when they do fit the ties are missing off them!

Not very subtle now are we jules...?

Funny Russ said they look sinister... First thing that came to my mind too

Maybe it's because they look vaguely ghost-like - not sure what it is, but certainly sinister to these eyes.

punky
13-09-2006, 15:31

Leave her alone... not her fault she missed a c off the beginning. :)

You aren't very observant though, she's been calling me that for a year now. Blimey, been that long? Only feels like the other day. :hugs:

Jules
13-09-2006, 15:36

Am I missing something there :)

Ohhhh the Hunky bit, I always call him that lol

Julian
13-09-2006, 16:03
Yep! The massed bands of the marines could have marched through the delivery room both times I was in labour and I wouldn't have turned a hair.You have other things to think and worry about.:tu:

Blimey, is that because they were there at the conceptions?? :disturbd: :D :Sprint:

Hugh
13-09-2006, 16:05
Blimey, is that because they were there at the conceptions?? :disturbd: :D :Sprint:

Run like the wind!!!!! :Yikes:

Nugget
13-09-2006, 16:09
Run like the wind!!!!! :Yikes:

If he's got runny wind, Incog's going to be the least of his problems ;)

Hugh
13-09-2006, 16:12
If he's got runny wind, Incog's going to be the least of his problems ;)

and that links nicely to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=52240&page=22 post #321

Maggy
13-09-2006, 17:12

:sniper: