PDA

View Full Version : Broadband slowdown DN4

Druchii
11-09-2006, 11:29
Extreme slowdowns on my broadband here in Doncaster, posting from college as i can only browse at sub-56k speeds at home. Problem seems to be even getting a response from the TW servers.

Out of 6 websites i tried resolving, only one seemed to work.

More updates when i'm home.

Zee
11-09-2006, 11:50
I've been having simular problems, they said it will last till 16th Sept for me ...

they said it was due to this

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceDetails.aspx?FaultID=560

I come under Barnet on that list, not sure if your area is there...

Stuart
11-09-2006, 12:59
Doubtful, he is on Telewest, and AFAIK, NTL haven't even started merging Telewest's network yet.

Zee
11-09-2006, 14:58
Doubtful, he is on Telewest, and AFAIK, NTL haven't even started merging Telewest's network yet.

oh yea i see ... sorry about that my bad!

Druchii
11-09-2006, 15:17
Well, after some more investigation, and a day pinging my router and the outside world... i conclude my WRT54G to be the problem, as right now, directly connected i get a full 4mbps -
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1157983795&v=421039

I get 48% packet loss to my router, and lord knows how much from my router to the modem. Basically meaning hardly any connectivity at all.

I can't use this directly connected because quite frankl;y it's rather inconveniant, so, the routers going to be switched off for a few hours and see whether that helps. Curiously this is my second router to go funny in exactly the same way since i've had TW. A WRK54G and a WRT54G.
Now to see if Maplins will replace it... Which i doubt as it took lots of persuading last time.

I'm so annoyed right now.

Druchii
11-09-2006, 17:44
Router is back up and rock solid once more, found out that the internet connection was being sapped extremely bad over wireless, for some reason an open wireless access point for the last day or so from what i can gather.

Extremely weird, but i'm guessing, looking at the incoming logs that it was all peer to peer traffic, i mean strangely high ports hitting my firewall (i'm talking ports 34,000 - 55,000) so, let's hope that nothing too bad was downloaded.

Now got my MAC filter up and running again, only these 2 pc's allowing to connect, and bam, 3.8mbps wirelessly. Nice. So, the router is fine, as is the internet connection. Had to do a full factory reset and re-apply the settings mind.

cybernetic_tiger
11-09-2006, 21:49
AFAIK, NTL haven't even started merging Telewest's network yet.

The two networks have been joined via abovenet in north London and the two networks have been sharing BGP routes for about a week now.