PDA

View Full Version : dads laptop won't connect to telewest

dirtspad
10-09-2006, 15:28
hi everyone. i'm new to this forum so please bare with me. this is an ongoing problem so i hope you can help.
my dad has a dell laptop which did work fine. he has broadband with telewest blueyonder. this also worked fine. his set top box links to a wap which then sends the signal to his laptop through a netgear wireless adapter (also provided by telewest). he was working on the laptop and all was well. he turned it off then the next day there was no connection to the internet.
he has spoke to telewest and they have done everything they're prepared to do. their last advice was to uninstall his norton software which i did. still this hasn't fixed the issue. the netgear software is in control not windows.
no software is getting in the way and all settings are correct on his laptop.
the correct passphrase and ssid are entered. all settings have been checked and verified.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

i tried to fix it but couldn't. i disabled his on board network card and the wireless adapter supplied by dell just incase they got created a conflict of some kind. there is an excellent signal but the laptop is getting a 169 address as it isn't being given one by the wap.
the error is that there is limited or no connectivity. i can't access the config page of the AP this is done by telewest.the access point has 3 lights ( i think from memory) one is green and stable (power) and the other two flash rapidly green (the network then signal led's). telewest say this is correct
i got on the phone to telewest and after a long.............time..........they got me in touch with their second level (whatever that is)
technicians.
eventually ( after sending dads phone bill up to heaven ) they said they'd replace the wap and other hardware and cabling.
telewest sent out a new netgear pcmcia wireless card, a new network cable to go from the wap to the set top box, fresh drivers and a new wap along with new adapter.
same problem.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

dad's laptop is from dell so i phoned them and they started to trouble shoot until it came to the netgear adapter then they stopped.
that hardware isn't supplied by them so they weren't interested. i thought that they could've tried disabling the netgear and used the dell wireless which is inside the lid apparently.
they did however tell me to have a nice day.
i phoned telewest and explained what dell had said and they replied, "as far as we are concerned we have tried all we can and after supplying you with new hardware are unfortunately unable to give you further technical support on this matter."
telewest supplied new AP amongst other h/ware. don't think it's those items that are faulty.
tested his girlfriends laptop (dell, same make and model)gave same issue. limited or no connectivity.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

tested dads laptop at my house on my router using his dell network card, the dell wirless adapter and the netgear adapter supplied by telewest. worked fin using all three.
phoned telewest from my house and told them.
it's not the dell pc.
i think it's their set top box. it's the only hardware that's not been replaced or tested properly. they tried to test it with my dad but it didn't work but i hadn't told him i had disabled his onboard network card. i have to go their again and connect by network cable direct to the set top box so they can run a test.
if that doesn't work then all avenues have been tested. hopefully they will supply new set top box. if the test they do does work then i can only think of two other options.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

dad said the pc was working when he switched it off over night. when he woke the next day it wasn't working. his pc is set to update windows automatically and some items require restart to work. he shuts down, downloads kick in on reboot changing some services maybe??
my cousin told me about a post somewhere that a guy had same problem through telewest and he checked his event viewer and noticed some services weren't present but were required and thought the change had come about through windows update.
just a maybe.
i did ask telewest about someone else using the wap but they said only with special software could it be done ( did i just speak like yoda??)
they checked it and found no activity.
i will have to keep pushing on through for the mo.
both i and dad have spent ages on the phone to telewest going through various steps to sort this out so as you can imagine most things have been tried.

any ideas would be great.

cheers

dirtspad

Jules
10-09-2006, 15:30
Have you tried a system restore from a time before the downloads at all?

dirtspad
10-09-2006, 15:32
thanks for replying that was quick!!

yes i have unfortunately

i have restored to a very early stage. almost to the point where dad bought the pc.
i could reinstall windows but that wouldn't help me find out what caused this and i simply must know

cheers
dirtspad

gkhewitt
10-09-2006, 15:44
Sounds like it's the wireless box. You say it's a WAP - Wireless Access Point. I'm hoping that you mean it's a Wireless Router. What make/model is it?

dirtspad
10-09-2006, 15:48
couldn't tell you off the top of my head but it is a wireless access point and was supplied by telewest and has already been replaced so i don't think it is that.
it has wep encryption and stuff ( if thats right) and all ssid passphrase and settings on laptop are correct.
only allows one pc to connect to it at one time

gkhewitt
10-09-2006, 15:52
I hope it's not a wireless access point as these won't work - you need a router. It'll be a wireless router, especially since it's provided by TW.

When you get a 169.x address, it's because it can't pick up an address from the router. This is nothing to do with the laptop but a configuration issue on the wireless box. The thing to do would be to let us know the make/model of the wireless box. Then, we can assign a static address to the laptop so you can get to the web admin page for the router and check the status of things like the DHCP server.

Regards

zing_deleted
10-09-2006, 16:00
you said you tried system restore to an early date was this before the wireless connection? did you re install the wireless adapter? did you try a restore to when it was in a working state?

dirtspad
10-09-2006, 16:03
i already asked telewest about getting a static ip address from them but they said i couldn't do this.
i don't mean to seem arguementative but noone i have spoke to about this has ever refered to the white box on dads tele as a router.
i have a router at my house which has many cable ports.
dads only has one that goes from the set top box to the wap.
all the technicians from telewest that i have spoken to in the past have called this harware device a wap. not a router.

thanks for replying

cheers

dirtspad

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

the whole setup has been uninstalled and reinstalled many times throughout this trouble shooting process.
i tried a system restore to a few weeks ago and also one that was made before dad even got the internet set up.

cheers

dirtspad

gkhewitt
10-09-2006, 16:11
I stand corrected. I did some investigation into this and found that Telewest have indeed released an access point service that allows for *one* client to be connected wirelessly.

At the end of the day, I believe the point still stands that the problem lies with this access point, or indeed whatever hands out IP addresses and you need to liase with TW...

dirtspad
10-09-2006, 16:14
just spoke to dads girlfriend and she looked at the wap
details are:

netgear vg602v3

serial number 15r3575200e2f

she also said it was made in japan but i don't think you need to know that!!
cheers

dirtspad

going out now for dinner but i'll check back later
please leave any questions, ideas etc.

thanks again

dirtspad

LSainsbury
10-09-2006, 16:36
One of these?? Netgear Wg602? (http://www.netgear.com/Products/BridgesAccessPointsandExtenders/AccessPoints/WG602.aspx)

It's an access point - you need a router...

Lee

gkhewitt
10-09-2006, 17:01
It's an access point - you need a router...
Lee

That's what I thought as well, but have a look here

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/broadband/0,39020342,39115492,00.htm

I suspect they cripple it in some sort of bridged mode and punt the public IP over to the client PC, but I don't know.

Graham M
10-09-2006, 17:42
Actually! Before you all go jumping on the same band-wagon, assuming he is only using 1 PC on the net connection, he DOES NOT NEED a router, a Wireless Access Point will do just fine for 1 PC.

Jules
10-09-2006, 17:47
He has said that it was working ok at one stage

dirtspad
10-09-2006, 20:04
yes this is correct a router is not required.
the wap at some point worked fine.
my personal belief is that it is the set top box but need some time to confirm.
have to get my old man to phone telewest while he's connected to the set top box using his network cable and the dell on board network card.
if this doesn't work then i hope telewest will replace it.
have to wait and see.
by the way i had a nice meal and am feeling fat.
i'll phone dad in a bit a ask him to try this next step.
feel free to keep asking and trying.
thanks again for all your posts

cheers

dirtspad

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

ok i just spoke to my dad and even though he is dreading it he's going to phone telewest again tomorrow and get them to test the set top box.
so until i hear from him i am stuck.
thanks for all your replies.
if anyone can think of any new ideas of things to try please feel free to post them.
i'll let you know if it has been tried before.
even daft stuff.

cheers

dirt

MovedGoalPosts
10-09-2006, 20:13
If you disconnect the WAP, and connect an ethernet card direct between the modem (STB) and laptop, reboot the modem (STB) and laptop, do you have a connection wired, rather than wireless? This at least would confirm that the Telewest network is OK, as well as the basic laptop networking functions. If this gives connection, then the WAP setup can be more specifically troubleshooted.

dirtspad
11-09-2006, 18:00
today we set up the lap top on the floor connected to the set top box through a network cable. dads laptop has an internal network card and along with telewests technical support we tried to connect and troubleshoot.
this didn't work and we checked settings and everything.
same 169 address.
telewest have today said that they will send someone round to my dads on wednesday morning to change the possibly faulty set top box.
however, if the set top box isn't faulty and the new set top box does not resolve the issue they will charge my dad £75.
i think that's disgusting.
not really a kind of "SUPPORT" i have ever seen before.
at which point i'll have to phone dell and hope they offer some help
i hope it isn't the set top box for telewests sake as my dad is pretty peed off as you can imagine. he hasn't had the internet since june and has been paying for it!
i am sure i have been thorough though and have also had all your support too.
thanks again.
cheers

dirt

will let you know what happens next.

nicke261192
11-09-2006, 21:06
erm it may be the stb cause there was all the stuff about it being under pressure when a connection is over 1mb so if i were you phone telewest and say can i have a modem please and they should install you one for free

dirtspad
12-09-2006, 19:23
i have suggested to dad about having a modem instead but he has a lap top and wishes to use it indoors and out. it's just more conveniant for him.
i know he could get a router and still be wireless but why should he change his set up when a company like telewest supplies what he has now and says it should work?
wednesday they're bringing a new stb anyway so we'll see what happens.
thanks for that last post anyway, i'm not sure what bandwidth he gets but if what you say is true then that may be something worth investigating.
if it is true then why hasn't telewest mentioned this?
anyhooo.....all might be revealed tomorrow...wish him luck, and me, i'm knackered!

cheers

dirt

i'll post back tomorrow with result........fingers crossed!

SnoopZ
12-09-2006, 19:39
i have suggested to dad about having a modem instead but he has a lap top and wishes to use it indoors and out. it's just more conveniant for him.
i know he could get a router and still be wireless but why should he change his set up when a company like telewest supplies what he has now and says it should work?
wednesday they're bringing a new stb anyway so we'll see what happens.
thanks for that last post anyway, i'm not sure what bandwidth he gets but if what you say is true then that may be something worth investigating.
if it is true then why hasn't telewest mentioned this?
anyhooo.....all might be revealed tomorrow...wish him luck, and me, i'm knackered!

cheers

dirt

i'll post back tomorrow with result........fingers crossed!

Another vote from me to get a modem installed, then he won't have any speed issues if he decides to go the 10mbit route.

Graham M
12-09-2006, 19:52
The Modem would be installed much as the STB and you can connect the WAP to it

dirtspad
12-09-2006, 20:50
thanks for all your replies...........
are you all saying that a cable modem is better and less problematic than going through a stb? and will be able to handle greater connection speeds?
question is would telewest provide that set up?.........modem to wap to lap top......without charge?
considering the fact that they are already trying to sqeeze him for £75 for a stp replacement i have my doubts to wether or not they have their charitable head on.
don't think dad would ever upgrade to anything higher than what he has now but it never hurts to know your options right?
i'm personally waiting for tesco to upgrade my connection speed for free...............probably won't happen but 'every little helps' right?
i'm sorry i must be in 'i think i'm funny mode'.

cheers all

dirt

nicke261192
12-09-2006, 20:58
yep its proven that a modem is better i think stb's can only carry 1mb and the telewest bottom is 2mb so your dad is not getting much use from what he is paying

dirtspad
13-09-2006, 19:09
ok problem solved!!!!!!!
first let me thank everyone who's posted here with advice and ideas. a telewest technician came to dads today and he said the set top box was old and rubbish. he said the wap that dad had got was also rubbish and are no longer used/installed. (there are 3 different types they use, dads was the white setup and i think there are blue and silver but not sure) he put something else in so i'll post back with exact set up when i see it. the set top boxes have trouble with anything over 1mb also. he has now put new hardware in (a new type of router come wap......not really sure til i see it and has upgraded dad to an 8mb connection.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

the rule here i think is that if the obvious isn't working (dhcp hardware not assigning ip) then get telewest to change your wap to something else and avoid going through a set top box at all costs. the other rules is that telewest is rubbish and it is no suprise to me that they have gone bump. if i find out soon what the exact fault was or more detail i'll post it. thanks for all your help and advice. i've learnt a fair bit in the process. hope this post helps others in the future and i also hope that ntl do a better job with telewest now they've bought it out.....especially on the support front!!!!
cheers all

dirt:D :D :D :D :D

Jules
13-09-2006, 20:42
Great news! Glad it is all sorted for you :tu:

Andrewcrawford23
14-09-2006, 09:06
ok problem solved!!!!!!!
first let me thank everyone who's posted here with advice and ideas. a telewest technician came to dads today and he said the set top box was old and rubbish. he said the wap that dad had got was also rubbish and are no longer used/installed. (there are 3 different types they use, dads was the white setup and i think there are blue and silver but not sure) he put something else in so i'll post back with exact set up when i see it. the set top boxes have trouble with anything over 1mb also. he has now put new hardware in (a new type of router come wap......not really sure til i see it and has upgraded dad to an 8mb connection.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

the rule here i think is that if the obvious isn't working (dhcp hardware not assigning ip) then get telewest to change your wap to something else and avoid going through a set top box at all costs. the other rules is that telewest is rubbish and it is no suprise to me that they have gone bump. if i find out soon what the exact fault was or more detail i'll post it. thanks for all your help and advice. i've learnt a fair bit in the process. hope this post helps others in the future and i also hope that ntl do a better job with telewest now they've bought it out.....especially on the support front!!!!
cheers all

dirt:D :D :D :D :D

telewest dnt do 8mb so how cna they upgrade to something they dnt have you best make sure that its right cause ti might eb another fault

dirtspad
14-09-2006, 20:30
i will check when i get round dads.
he might have just got it wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
i saw his setup this afternoon.
he's got a direct cable link to a modem going into the origional wap then this sends the wireless signal to his lap top.
the telewest technician didn't change the wap but said that this type (the white set) is extremely problematic. he hadn't got any other waps with him.
dad is now happy but his connection went down today, he phoned telewest and cable was down in the area...........lol...........i had to laugh.
thatnks for all your help

cheers

dirt