PDA

View Full Version : Which Newspaper Do You Read?

alexanderjohndav
08-09-2006, 20:18
I do not get one everyday. But if I do get its one giving away a DVD or CD or something good.But The Mail is OK and I think The Sun is a joke.

Jules
08-09-2006, 20:23
I don't buy papers I read them online unless there is a special offer.

alexanderjohndav
08-09-2006, 20:27
I think newspapers are out dated, as the news is old news were you get it.
Do you think in say 2026 we still have newspapers for sale in the shops,But you only get it online.

Jules
08-09-2006, 20:31
It is possible but then it would be unfair to people that don't have computers or access to the net and some people like to hold a "real" paper when they read them, I am the same with books I much prefer to have the real thing than read it online

Hugh
08-09-2006, 20:55
I read the Times, Sunday Times, occasionally the Telegraph and Independent.

It's nice to sit on the sofa with the paper, flicking through it. Unless they bring out hi-quality A4-size digital readers, it won't be the same (imho).

alexanderjohndav
08-09-2006, 21:06
I read the Times, Sunday Times, occasionally the Telegraph and Independent.

It's nice to sit on the sofa with the paper, flicking through it. Unless they bring out hi-quality A4-size digital readers, it won't be the same (imho).
Something like the PADS in Star Trek.

Hugh
08-09-2006, 21:09
Something like the PADS in Star Trek.

Only larger (A4) - I have downloaded books and newspapers to various PDA's I have had in the past (iPaqs, PalmPilots, Treo's), and found my eyes got tired very quickly trying to read long articles or chapters of books - fine for bouts of web-browsing, and short articles, but not comfortable for me for extended periods.

homealone
08-09-2006, 21:21
Grimsby Evening Telegraph - which has a mix of local news from the day before & national headline stuff up to about lunchtime on day published.

Fairly apolitical, which suits me - it would be nice if all papers could agree on bullet point factual content, then colour it with their own interpretation, but that isn't the stuff that sells national newspapers, which is why I don't tend to buy them :)

Gareth
08-09-2006, 21:26
The Grauniad, although I mostly read it online to be honest.

fireman328
08-09-2006, 21:34
The Telegraph, mainly for the crossword.

Nugget
08-09-2006, 21:45
If I buy a paper in the week (or Saturday), then I choose the Mirror because, frankly, I don't have to think about it particularly. However, on Sunday, we get The Observer - Mrs Nug likes the Review section and magazine, and I like the weighty Sports section and the various monthly / four-weekly magazines (Sport / Food / whatever) that come with it.

I occasionally look at the Grimsby Evening Telegraph online to find out what's going on in the area, and The Guardian if there's something specific I want to look at, but nine times out of ten, I don't bother with online stuff. For the record, I don't think that we're going to lose newspapers any time in the near future, if for no other reason than what would happen if you wanted to find out what was happening in the world if you were away from your computer?

gaffer_gump
08-09-2006, 21:46
The Mirror everyday.. and the Grimsby Evening Telegraph on a wednesday for the What's On Guide.

Bill C
08-09-2006, 22:11
Simple answer for me NONE

Russ
08-09-2006, 22:12
Viz.

AndrewJ
08-09-2006, 22:15
None here its all lies and the little truth their is, is bent behond belief to suit their sales.

Graham M
08-09-2006, 22:37
The Daily CableForum

:)

paul11974
08-09-2006, 22:56
Viz.

http://www.viz.co.uk/front_viz_hp_images/dir_0/viz_hp_pic_37.jpg

Druchii
08-09-2006, 23:03
The Daily CableForum

:)
Seconded.

cookie_365
08-09-2006, 23:12
The Argus Lite on the train going to work

The Metro during my coffee break

London Lite on the way back home

Total expenditure: £0.00 :)

Damien
08-09-2006, 23:44
I think newspapers are out dated, as the news is old news were you get it.
Do you think in say 2026 we still have newspapers for sale in the shops,But you only get it online.

Most people do not get news papers to know what is happening like they did then newspapers first came out. Up until Radio then they were a good way to get news. Now most people know whats happening quite quickly instead people turn to newspapers for news they have have missed and commentry of the big news items of the day.

I only get a paper if there is something I want to read in it. Usually I go between The Times, The Guardian, The inderpendent depending what the front page is/content is.

Lew
09-09-2006, 01:03
I don't bother with newspapers. I just use the BBC News website.

paul11974
09-09-2006, 07:16
i must admit i have also stopped buying newspapers due to the internet but i like one on a sunday and either the mail on sunday or the news of the screws

dilli-theclaw
09-09-2006, 11:10
Something like the PADS in Star Trek.The PADD (personal access display device ;) :)) is a very good idea and I'd say is already a reality with tablet pc's anyway. Or even with pocket pc's and avant go.

Myself - up until recently I just looked online at whatever sources I wanted - IE BBC or times or whatever.

Now I'm looking into talking newspapers and podcasts.

punky
09-09-2006, 11:16
If I have to read any paper, it would be The Mail because its the best of a bad bunch and it has Littlejohn, but in all honestly, I don't like any papers really because there is something wrong with each one.

Kliro
09-09-2006, 11:51
The telegraph for the crosswords and readers letters and the guardian for the rest.

Then the local papers for local news, and the metro whenever I'm on, the metro.

Had to resort to reading a load of redtops on holiday as they didn't have proper papers - its like reading a set of short fictional stories, I don't think they're to be taken seriously though.

bopdude
09-09-2006, 14:07
I don't buy a paper on a regular bases anymore, to do with work hours more than anything else, when I did / do buy a paper it's always the Daily Express and Sunday Express, I like the paper for its rounded sports coverage ( not just football ) and also the crossword, primarily for the crossword though :tu:

Oh yeah, the news isn't badly done either IMHO ;)

hatedbythemail
09-09-2006, 14:19
I don't buy a paper on a regular bases anymore, to do with work hours more than anything else, when I did / do buy a paper it's always the Daily Express and Sunday Express, I like the paper for its rounded sports coverage ( not just football ) and also the crossword, primarily for the crossword though :tu:

Oh yeah, the news isn't badly done either IMHO ;)i thought the express had rebranded as the daily diana now? ;-)

Salu
09-09-2006, 17:41
.... and I think The Sun is a joke....

The title of the thread does say "read"....;)

so perferct
13-09-2006, 20:58
The MIRRER In the week and on Sunday Mirrer if was not so meen it would be THE Guindan and sun day inderpdetnt:tu:

orangebird
15-09-2006, 10:36
The Times on Sunday. The Mail on Saturday - whateve hubby comes home with during the week, usually Star & Sun.

I can't believe some people would rather read the news online than in bed with the real thing...whatever happened to cosying up with a cup of tea, bacon sandwich and a paper on a weekend morning? :erm:

iadom
15-09-2006, 10:48
The Daily & Sunday Torygraph. :cool: A useful way to excersise my arms,;)

I'm strictly a broadsheet man.

Julian
15-09-2006, 10:51
The Times on Sunday. The Mail on Saturday - whateve hubby comes home with during the week, usually Star & Sun.

I can't believe some people would rather read the news online than in bed with the real thing...whatever happened to cosying up with a cup of tea, bacon sandwich and a paper on a weekend morning? :erm:

Working? ;)

Newspapers are becoming an expensive luxury tho'

Just last week the Sunday Times went up another 20p to £2.00, The Sunday Telegraph up 20p to £1.80. Both daily equivalents of the above to 65p and 70p respectively. The Indy on Sunday goes up 10p to £1.80 this coming Sunday. The Mail on Sunday up 10p to £1.40 from last Sunday.

orangebird
15-09-2006, 10:59
Working? ;)

Newspapers are becoming an expensive luxury tho'

Just last week the Sunday Times went up another 20p to £2.00, The Sunday Telegraph up 20p to £1.80. Both daily equivalents of the above to 65p and 70p respectively. The Indy on Sunday goes up 10p to £1.80 this coming Sunday. The Mail on Sunday up 10p to £1.40 from last Sunday.

Working on a weekend morning? :eek:

Saturdays = Soccer AM, sarnies, tea and paper.
Sunday = Footbal highlights and/or F1, sarnies, tea and paper.

I have no clue what any of them cost tbh. :blush: