PDA

View Full Version : Odd Receive light behaviour NTL 250 Stevenage

dave.molloy
08-09-2006, 15:52
Until last night, when I turned my computer off the receive light went out within a couple of seconds. Starting last night whenever I do turn the PC off (even disconnect the LAN PC to CM cable) the receive light continues to receive traffic (by the flashing at a fair old rate). I even switched the CM off over night and as soon as I switched it on, it settled down and switched the PC on the receive light blinked just as fast (no transmit at all). The Internet connection is OK (speed at 9.8Mbit today but 2.8mbit last night (not to great).

I phoned Tech Support this afternoon who did not seem concerned but I got the impression I was getting fobbed off ("I am bothered" sprung to mind).

Considering I have had cable for 5 years, I know this is not normal.

Has anyone any ideas ?
Many Thanks :(

sstainer
08-09-2006, 16:13
try support again maybe this time someone who "Cares" will answer you i find it strange if you unplugged the ethernet cable from both sides [PC & CM] that it [thats the recieve light] would continue to flash away like something was talking to it Erm how??

maybe you have a telepathic CM :LOL:

anyways try support one more time see what they have to say if no joy try Customer care maybe they can help??

homealone
08-09-2006, 16:30
Until last night, when I turned my computer off the receive light went out within a couple of seconds. Starting last night whenever I do turn the PC off (even disconnect the LAN PC to CM cable) the receive light continues to receive traffic (by the flashing at a fair old rate). I even switched the CM off over night and as soon as I switched it on, it settled down and switched the PC on the receive light blinked just as fast (no transmit at all). The Internet connection is OK (speed at 9.8Mbit today but 2.8mbit last night (not to great).

I phoned Tech Support this afternoon who did not seem concerned but I got the impression I was getting fobbed off ("I am bothered" sprung to mind).

Considering I have had cable for 5 years, I know this is not normal.

Has anyone any ideas ?
Many Thanks :(

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember one of our members (James Henry), who is pretty knowledgable about such things, saying that this behavior is due to recent changes that may have been done at the UBR or headend???

dave.molloy
08-09-2006, 23:06
as of about 18:00 the receive light went out and the modem is now behaving as usual. I would like to think NTL sorted the issue but .....

Many Thanks for the replies

jaycee
09-09-2006, 19:23
There are some types of traffic that the CM will still respond to even when the computer is not switched on. This causes the recieve light to flash. As there is no computer connected, it's harmless :)

If memory serves, if there are techs trying to read the DOCSIS diagnostic information remotely, the recieve light flashes.