PDA

View Full Version : Lexus Self-Parking Car

Gareth
07-09-2006, 11:32
Thought this was interesting...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/clips/lexus-self-parking-car-video-and-review-196551.php

Here's how it works.

1. You drive past a parking spot at 12mph or less. The four rear and six front sonar sensors detect the cars, and the gap between them.

2. Putting the car into reverse activates the wide-angle backup camera. There's a little button on the bottom of the screen that looks like a car parking. Hit it. If the spot is more than 6.5 feet longer than the car itself, the car enters Advanced Parking Guidance System mode. This is where the magic happens.

3. Crawl backwards, keeping your foot on the brake. If you touch the gas, or the wheel, the mode shuts itself off. Make sure to stay under 2.5mph, or it'll shut off, too. The wheel, as you can see from the video above, spins itself like its being ghost-driven. The sonar system is constantly measuring distance, beeping with more urgency as you get closer to obstacles.

4. When you're in the spot, the computer will announce that parking is complete.
Although, I think the adaptive cruise control is also a neat gadget.
The car has adaptive cruise control, which uses millimeter-wave radar to slow you if a car in front of you hits the brakes. If the system detects a collision, it'll add pressure to the brakes to help stop time, and electronically tighten seatbelts. Shame it's a bit out of my price range.

gazzae
07-09-2006, 11:37
The new S500 has that cruise control.

Don't see why anyone would need the auto parking, it's not difficult. If you can't control a car well enough to park it then you shouldn't be on the road.

Gareth
07-09-2006, 11:40
Heh, I didn't say that I couldn't park... but my missus sometimes reads this forum too, so I'm not naming and shaming anyone ;)

Graham M
07-09-2006, 11:42
Ooo something more to go wrong :)

Chris
07-09-2006, 11:42
Unfortunately I can't get excited about Lexus. Personally I think they should sue the BBC for allowing Alan Partridge to own one. :D

ZrByte
07-09-2006, 12:15
Thought this was interesting...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/clips/lexus-self-parking-car-video-and-review-196551.php

Although, I think the adaptive cruise control is also a neat gadget.
Shame it's a bit out of my price range.

Might not be as out of your price range as you think. If I remember correctly Lexus had nothing to do with the development of this technology, it was actually done by Citroen. And its supposed to be going on sale later this year on the c3, marketed as part of a disability package at first but available to anyone who wants it.

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

Unfortunately I can't get excited about Lexus. Personally I think they should sue the BBC for allowing Alan Partridge to own one. :D

Its amazing the amount of Lexi you see on the roads! :D

TheDaddy
07-09-2006, 12:18

I thought he had a Rover, oh no thats right 'I am not driving a mini metro' :)

MovedGoalPosts
07-09-2006, 12:53
Judjing by the number of people you see having difficulty parking their cars, I can see such a device being really popular.

orangebird
07-09-2006, 13:00
So if I'm reading this right, it only works if the space you're wanting to park in is more than two metres longer than the car itself? So, really, only any good in America, or if you're wanting to park on an empty playing field. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

The new S500 has that cruise control.

Don't see why anyone would need the auto parking, it's not difficult. If you can't control a car well enough to park it then you shouldn't be on the road.

What he said. :tu:

ZrByte
07-09-2006, 13:05
So if I'm reading this right, it only works if the space you're wanting to park in is more than two metres longer than the car itself? So, really, only any good in America, or if you're wanting to park on an empty playing field. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

What he said. :tu:

In the defense of the technology it can park in much tighter gaps then that, ive seen it done. I think the reason it is set so high is because if there is a failure in the technology and your car crashes into the one behind the manufacturer is liable for any insurance claims not the driver. If they set the tollerance higher and give the driver more reaction time (Like the have done) The driver becomes liable again.

orangebird
07-09-2006, 13:09
In the defense of the technology it can park in much tighter gaps then that, ive seen it done. I think the reason it is set so high is because if there is a failure in the technology and your car crashes into the one behind the manufacturer is liable for any insurance claims not the driver. If they set the tollerance higher and give the driver more reaction time (Like the have done) The driver becomes liable again.

Sorry (and I have not researched this at all), but I don't believe for a second that the manufacturer is liable under insurance terms if you crash into another car whilst using this gismo. Any case history?

timewarrior2001
07-09-2006, 13:46
Its based on Microsoft software too.

Wonder if it will have unsigned driver problems?

Or an anoying popup saying "it looks like you are driving a car, would you like me to help you?"

TheNorm
07-09-2006, 13:58
Its based on Microsoft software too.

Wonder if it will have unsigned driver problems?

Or an anoying popup saying "it looks like you are driving a car, would you like me to help you?"

Yes - and to re-boot, would you have to press the radio button, heater button, and windscreen wiper switch all at the same time?

ZrByte
07-09-2006, 14:32
Sorry (and I have not researched this at all), but I don't believe for a second that the manufacturer is liable under insurance terms if you crash into another car whilst using this gismo. Any case history?

Its the same reason so many companies are unwilling to fund the self driving car development. Basicly you are not in control of the vehicle while this gadget is so you are not liable for any damages caused while it is active.

Jules
07-09-2006, 16:45
I would find it weird sat there while my car steered it's self

bopdude
07-09-2006, 16:59
I would find it weird sat there while my car steered it's self

Thats where it's heading, in years to come it'll be like I robot etc etc, auto drive as the norm, manually driven as an option...................it will, you watch ;)

Graham M
07-09-2006, 17:03
As I said, it's just another thing to go wrong with your car, and well, I haven't passed my test yet (got my first go in 3 weeks) but I'm perfectly happy parking my car.

Jules
07-09-2006, 17:05
Good luck Zeph let us know how it goes :tu:

gazzae
07-09-2006, 17:10
In the S500 you only have to steer! If your in traffic the cruise control automatically starts and stops with the traffice infront.

ZrByte
07-09-2006, 17:18
In the S500 you only have to steer! If your in traffic the cruise control automatically starts and stops with the traffice infront.

I thought that only worked at motorway speeds?

gazzae
07-09-2006, 17:23
I thought that only worked at motorway speeds?

It will bring you to a complete halt and when the car in front starts off again so do you.

ZrByte
07-09-2006, 17:25
It will bring you to a complete halt and when the car in front starts off again so do you.

But you can only set the cruise control to speeds above 60mph cant you so if you have gone from the motorway to an A road it will still build your speed back upto at least 60 wont it? That is assuming there is nothing in front of you.

gazzae
07-09-2006, 17:32
But you can only set the cruise control to speeds above 60mph cant you so if you have gone from the motorway to an A road it will still build your speed back upto at least 60 wont it? That is assuming there is nothing in front of you.

Not sure what speeds you can set it to but if your stuck in traffic in town your only going to go as fast as the car in front, when the traffic clears just disengage it. But yeah it would would work best on the motorway.

ZrByte
07-09-2006, 17:36
Did you see the videos of the early tests for that car? I think top gear showed them a year or two ago. they had three german reporters sitting in the car and the radar system failed thus smashing the car into the test object infront (I think it was a wall) Lucky they where showing it at slow speeds first really :) .

gazzae
07-09-2006, 17:41
It was another Merc it hit. Think they said it was caused by the test taking place in a metalled walled room and because the system detects metallic objects it was overloaded.

Jules
07-09-2006, 17:44
There will come a day when we programe in were we want to go and then just sit back and the car will take us lol