PDA

View Full Version : Email: NTL and Hotmail

heiowge
06-09-2006, 21:01
I used to have an NTL account, and was forever having a problem with emails timing out before I'd finished writing them, and losing them as a result.

So when I ended up going back to ntl (don't ask!), I signed up the wife with a hotmail account, while I got stuck with the ntl one.

Since then, I've not had 1 timeout, but more than half the email she gets sent, bounce back! She has no spamblocker in place, and the hotmail settings are that she'll recieve just about any email available.

I can't see what I can do to fix hotmail (my ideal solution), because if I can't fix it, I have to find another account for her. She's worried that if it's an NTL account, it'll keep timing out (can't find the timeout option to remove it / set the clock - my backup option.)

Other than that I'd have to find another email provider, as she's threattening to return to AOL!

Any ideas?

jellybaby
06-09-2006, 21:05
Best bet is to get a Gmail account www.gmail.com

Only way to get one is by invitation, so if you want one feel free to PM me with an email address and i'll send one to you.

SnoopZ
06-09-2006, 21:07
Best bet is to get a Gmail account www.gmail.com

Only way to get one is by invitation, so if you want one feel free to PM me with an email address and i'll send one to you.

Yes get a googlemail(gmail) account. :tu:

heiowge
06-09-2006, 21:20
Thanks for offer. Will consider - wife wants to fix hotmail preferably, as she doesn't want to change address, and copy out all address book again! Plus, being a woman, she doesn't like the idea of going with an email provider she's never heard of - she knows google, but not gmail - so will take a bit of convincing (more effort than fixing hotmail!!).

homealone
06-09-2006, 21:22
I used to have an NTL account, and was forever having a problem with emails timing out before I'd finished writing them, and losing them as a result.

So when I ended up going back to ntl (don't ask!), I signed up the wife with a hotmail account, while I got stuck with the ntl one.

Since then, I've not had 1 timeout, but more than half the email she gets sent, bounce back! She has no spamblocker in place, and the hotmail settings are that she'll recieve just about any email available.

I can't see what I can do to fix hotmail (my ideal solution), because if I can't fix it, I have to find another account for her. She's worried that if it's an NTL account, it'll keep timing out (can't find the timeout option to remove it / set the clock - my backup option.)

Other than that I'd have to find another email provider, as she's threattening to return to AOL!

Any ideas?

I cannot disagree with the google/gmail advice, but to try to answer your question can you please confirm whether you were using the 'webmail' service to compose the 'timed out' messages, or a mail client like Outlook Express? :)

can't help with the Hotmail problem, sorry ..

heiowge
06-09-2006, 21:33
Webmail.

username@ntlworld.com account email.

sstainer
06-09-2006, 21:43
try maybe outlook on pc might be worth a go or if do want another email account try yahoo? [or some say http://mail.uk2.net can be quite good]

as for hotmail help try add your email[ntlworld] to safe list within options at your wifes hotmail account good luck

homealone
06-09-2006, 21:45
Webmail.

username@ntlworld.com account email.

well one bit of good news is that if you associate your details with an account in a mail client, like Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or Opera, for example, you won't get the timeouts while composing messages ;)

Have you tried setting a forward from 'her' hotmail to ''your' account, to see if you both get the same messages?

heiowge
06-09-2006, 21:51
well one bit of good news is that if you associate your details with an account in a mail client, like Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or Opera, for example, you won't get the timeouts while composing messages ;)

Have you tried setting a forward from 'her' hotmail to ''your' account, to see if you both get the same messages?

Had real problems setting up an outlook account - tried last time I had ntl, and it wouldn't have it! As for the problem - the email is my wife's works email, and she gets email from people she's never met as part of her job. If they're mostly filtered, she can't use the account.

She can't add someone to a safe list if she doesn't know the email is incomming.

homealone
06-09-2006, 21:59
Had real problems setting up an outlook account - tried last time I had ntl, and it wouldn't have it! As for the problem - the email is my wife's works email, and she gets email from people she's never met as part of her job. If they're mostly filtered, she can't use the account.

She can't add someone to a safe list if she doesn't know the email is incomming.

In that case, to be honest, I would suggest she forgets about 'public' email services, and you should be thinking about buying a domain & hosting package, which will offer you many more options for your accounts...

Otherwise - setting up email for NTL on OE is dead easy - if you have the correct username & password, which you should if you can use webmail ;)

heiowge
06-09-2006, 22:13
Ok will look into it.

fireman328
08-09-2006, 16:21
I suffered a crash this morning and need to know the settings to revive my outlook express. Thanks

homealone
08-09-2006, 16:24
I suffered a crash this morning and need to know the settings to revive my outlook express. Thanks

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=33

any help? :)

fireman328
08-09-2006, 17:08
Thanks great help back in business !!!!!