PDA

View Full Version : Witheld Numbers

paul11974
14-12-2003, 20:11
hi and merry xmas to u all ........................... here is my question a friend of mine recieved a malicious telephone call a few months ago when they dialed 1471 to get the callers number they had witheld it ( of course) is there any way they can contact ntl with the excact time of the call and be able to trace and inform them of the persons number ?

Tricky
14-12-2003, 20:16
Even if they had the data (I.e. within their own network) they would not release anything to anyone except the long arm of the law and then only with a court order I believe.

Florence
14-12-2003, 22:09
Contact NTL and ask them for the barring code to block withheld numbers.. This person will never get through again. I have it on mine they never got in again.

paul11974
14-12-2003, 22:15
Contact NTL and ask them for the barring code to block withheld numbers.. This person will never get through again. I have it on mine they never got in again.

thanks kitty .......i am aware of this but was just checking to see if they could trace there number somehow :wavey:

Pritch
15-12-2003, 00:11
thanks kitty .......i am aware of this but was just checking to see if they could trace there number somehow :wavey:

Unlikely for a call that's been made in the past.

Normally, what would happen in the case of repeat malicious calls is that your local Police would put you in touch with NTL's malicious calls bureau, who could arrange the trace to be put on the line, which would be activated by the subscriber when a malicious call was received, with the results being fed back to the Police.

Bex
16-12-2003, 19:16
Unlikely for a call that's been made in the past.

Normally, what would happen in the case of repeat malicious calls is that your local Police would put you in touch with NTL's malicious calls bureau, who could arrange the trace to be put on the line, which would be activated by the subscriber when a malicious call was received, with the results being fed back to the Police.

we keep getting calls where the person dials and then doesn't reply when we answer, eventually we get bored and put the phone down....would that count as malicious? it sometimes happens three or four times a day.....and it is always a with-held number

:wavey: merry christmas paul

chambece
16-12-2003, 20:09
we keep getting calls where the person dials and then doesn't reply when we answer, eventually we get bored and put the phone down....would that count as malicious? it sometimes happens three or four times a day.....and it is always a with-held number

:wavey: merry christmas paul

I get that too - it's usually from autodialers at call centers - apparently they will do something like ring up 5 people, and then when the first person answers they get put through to an operator. Occasionally there isn't an operator free, so you get a pause

I think there's something called the Telephone Preference service or something that you can go to and be removed from the list....

Yeah, I'm right!!
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tpsr/html/default.asp

zoombini
17-12-2003, 08:15
what is the number that you type in to with-hold your outgoing number?

Oho and turn it back on again.

Is the ability to prevent these calls something that we can initiate ourselves by typing a numbmer in & does it cost anything?

Gogogo
17-12-2003, 09:53
what is the number that you type in to with-hold your outgoing number?Oho and turn it back on again.Is the ability to prevent these calls something that we can initiate ourselves by typing a numbmer in & does it cost anything?

Contact customer services.

The code below;

To set on * 227 #
Off: #227#

In this area free. Elsewhere?

Nuisance Calls Bureau on 0800 052 0361

;)

Bifta
17-12-2003, 13:28
what is the number that you type in to with-hold your outgoing number?

Oho and turn it back on again.

Is the ability to prevent these calls something that we can initiate ourselves by typing a numbmer in & does it cost anything?

Do you not just prefix the number you're dialing with "141"? Or is that just BT?

Marge
17-12-2003, 13:54
*227# and #227# is to stop people ringing you and with-holding their number

141 is to with-hold your own number when dialling out

Number suppresion is available which is a permanent number with-hold on the line when dialling out. This has to be added to your line by c/s.

Dooby
17-12-2003, 13:54
Do you not just prefix the number you're dialing with "141"? Or is that just BT?
141 is just for that call, i think the 227 code toggles it on and off

th'engineer
17-12-2003, 14:20
*227# and #227# is to stop people ringing you and with-holding their number

141 is to with-hold your own number when dialling out

Number suppresion is available which is a permanent number with-hold on the line when dialling out. This has to be added to your line by c/s.
So how do you get 141 perminant by phoning cs