PDA

View Full Version : Green Boxes and Vandalism!

Talking_Toaster
06-09-2006, 16:47
Hello :)

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't think where else to put it (New Poster ;) )

I've just spent the last 20 minutes being shunted around NTL's phone system trying to report a vandalised 'green box'. The darn things door is wide open displaying all the 'goodies' for the local kiddies to enjoy. You know what I mean :(. So far I'm not having much luck.
The last time this happened we were without any service of any kind for nearly TWO WEEKS. I can't put up with that again. Seriously.

I realise this is not NTL's fault as such, but I have spoken to one of the visiting engineers about before who made the 'right noises' but did nothing about it (he didn't even secure the doors on the box! ...Left it for someone else to do).

Which is the correct NTL department to contact about this? Can anything be done about a box that's prone to vandalism?

Thanks for reading... Back to the telephone:mad:

Halcyon
06-09-2006, 17:05
Hi and :welcome: to the forums.

There is a thread on the forums for reporting green boxes open or damaged.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25343&highlight=green+box+report

There may be a passing engineer on the forums that may PM you or contact you regarding this. Just happens if any are about and can help you out.

Talking_Toaster
06-09-2006, 17:47
Thanks for the welcome Halcyon,
We have finally managed to get through on the phone and someone will be sent out ASAP, whatever that means ;) We shall see.

Cheers for the link, I hadn't seen that thread. It's obviously a more common problem than I suspected.

(As an aside, this particular 'green box' has had it's own Police protection until recently. It's about 50 feet from one of the houses being searched in relation to that big 'liquid terrorism' investigation.)

Cheers!

Zee
06-09-2006, 20:49
One of the green boxes on my street, the wires have been ripped out completly, nothing is in there, i wonder if this is causing slow browsing and me not being able to get faster downloads then 90KB/s on the 10Mbps service?

Druchii
06-09-2006, 23:20
One of the green boxes on my street, the wires have been ripped out completly, nothing is in there, i wonder if this is causing slow browsing and me not being able to get faster downloads then 90KB/s on the 10Mbps service?
I don't think you'd have any services if that was your green box...

Talking_Toaster
30-09-2006, 21:19
Well, they fixed it at last, so horay for that. But that's three weeks it's taken to get that simple job done!

Halcyon
01-10-2006, 21:50
Glad you got it fixed.
It's one of those things that is inevitable with boxes on the streets......vandals just love opening them up.
I hope it stays secure for a good while now.