PDA

View Full Version : Help filling out job application - "early mornings" and "late nights"

ntl customer
06-09-2006, 13:36
I'm currently filling out a job application for working in a shop (p/t) and it asks if you can work early mornings and late nights?

Now, obviously everyone's definition of late and early varies somewhat, but what kind of hours am I to expect to be around should I choose to do earlies/lates?

If anyone could give me any ballpark figures ( ;) ) then I'd be most grateful.

Thanks. :D

TheDaddy
06-09-2006, 13:39
I would suggest that early mornings are set for paper deliveries etc. I wouldn't have said before six though and unless the shop is 24 hours I wouldn't have thought it would be open much after ten due to drunks ;) Good luck with it btw

Kliro
06-09-2006, 13:39
Depends on the shop?

Some will close at 5pm whilst others won't close till about 10/11. Is there any way of finding out the opening hours of the shop?

As for early mornings - if its a paper shop I remember when I did paperounds some of the staff had to be in at 4am to sort the papers out :/

ntl customer
06-09-2006, 13:44
It's for a certain food retailer which uses a Fleetwood Mac track in their adverts. ;)

As far as I am aware, they don't open until 8/9am and close at latest at 6pm. Well, the store I am applying to doesn't anyway so I am guessing latest of 8pm and ealiest of 7/8am?

Kliro
06-09-2006, 14:55
I'd assume the same - except maybe a bit earlier starting times if papers need to be done.

(I don't know as I don't get the reference)

Stuart
06-09-2006, 15:03
My local Sainsburys (a small one) used to close at 8 or 9 on Saturdays. I was still expected to work until midnight stacking the shelves..

homealone
06-09-2006, 15:08
you could always say you are willing to be flexible over times worked and ask for more detail at the interview. You can always turn down an offer if it doesn't suit, but the important thing is to get the interview, imo :)

Nugget
06-09-2006, 15:10
My local Sainsburys (a small one) used to close at 8 or 9 on Saturdays. I was still expected to work until midnight stacking the shelves..

I used to work in Wilkos when I was at college - the shop closed at 5:30pm, but the 'merchandising' went from 5pm until 10pm. As Gaz says, the best bet would be to check out the 'fine details' at interview :)

orangebird
06-09-2006, 15:18
Call me crazy, but how about doing something really radical and calling the company to ask? :erm:

TheNorm
06-09-2006, 15:40
Call me crazy, but how about doing something really radical and calling the company to ask? :erm:

Yes - and make sure you phone them at 7am, and perhaps again at 11pm...

Stuart
06-09-2006, 16:24
Yes - and make sure you phone them at 7am, and perhaps again at 11pm...

Sarcasm aside, I believe OB was making the point they may be best to ask..

orangebird
06-09-2006, 16:26
Sarcasm aside, I believe OB was making the point they may be best to ask..

well done Stuart. :tu:

Seriously, why do people ask questions like that here?

I need to know what hours M&S consider early/late - :idea: I know! I'll ask the people at CF! :idea: :rolleyes:

ntl customer
06-09-2006, 16:48
Cheers for the ideas - and I should have seen some of the sarcasm coming. :dozey:

The reason why I ask here is I thought people'd have some rough idea as to what companies would expect, since they seem to use all sorts of vague terms and I am sure all of you have seen these used when applying for jobs.

Plus, M&S don't seem to have any useful contact info on the recruitment pages- only an automated phoneline which does the screening test by pressing the buttons on your phone. ;)

The good news is that I have been invited to an interview after doing the screening test on-line, which is in a few weeks time. I selected early mornings and Sat/Sun, so I am hoping that I'll be able to negotiate my hours/ask for more details at the interview.

I have never had a formal job interview before - does anyone have any tips to share?

And is it me, or is it a bit bizarre for a company not to asking for specific education details/history during the app. process?

Thanks!

gaffer_gump
06-09-2006, 17:20
You will find some good advice on this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=51449), hope it goes well for you and remember it's always easier to find the right job if you are already working. :)

Dan_Sette
06-09-2006, 20:56
Or...you could look on the M&S website.

If it's a "Simply Food" store then opening hours will vary as to location. A small town store opens from 08.00 - 20.00.

A major city centre branch 07.00 - 23.00.

Expect to be in an hour before opening to prepare shelves, start processes, shelf stack the daily perishables etc. Expect to be leaving half an hour after shop closes for cleaning / cashing up.

D