PDA

View Full Version : Consumer / Insurance Advice Please

basa
06-09-2006, 12:21
We recently had the Gas Board (actually a Joint Venture - Balfour Beatty / National Grid / Transco) replacing cast iron pipes from the main to all the houses in our Avenue (14 dwellings in all).

Part of the works was to replace the pipe into our gas meter which is located within our sink base unit.

When the fitter replaced this pipe he dislodged the waste pipe from the sink (and which incorporates the discharge from our washing machine). A few hours later whilst the washing machine was running and my wife emptied the sink after washing up all the water emptied into the base unit and onto the kitchen floor !!

MDF base units react badly to soaking in water and the carcase joints and bottom edges of the doors swelled and split within hours.

Balfour Beatty's site supervisor was shown the damage, admitted liability and sent an Insurance claim form.

Because our kitchen is some 10 years old (but in near perfect condition) we could not replace exactly the sink unit doors. We will have to replace ALL our kitchen unit doors (the base carcase is no problem replacing like for like). Also for the same reason we cannot get a larder unit the same width and need to replace that entirely to maintain a door match.

We submitted a claim to Balfour Beatty for £1,500 (approx), to replace base unit, larder and all doors (incl fitting). They have offered only £600 because our kitchen is old !!!

CAB are useless all I get on the phone is a half hour of recorded messages, I don't seem to be able to speak to a real person.

What is my next step .. Home Insurance, Solicitor, snotty letter ???? :erm:

MovedGoalPosts
06-09-2006, 12:26
Do you have any legal advice cover as part of your household insurance. They might be able to assist.

Probably is a case of claiming on your household insurers, if they will cover it, bearing in mind they might too argue over the "betterment". Your household insurers, if they are liable, would seek to recover from Balfour Beatty.

On the other hand I'd be contacting Transco direct, making it clear you hold them responsible for the actions of their contractors.

Aragorn
06-09-2006, 12:30
I'm not an expert, but a few suggestions -
1. Don't bank any cheque they have already sent you
2. Start with a letter explaining why the large figure (similar to above) and give them a deadline to respond (14 days). State that if they don't, you will be seeking legal advice with a view to a small claims court case.
3. Hopefully this will shake them into action, but if not ask the CAB (or google) for details of your local small claims court.
HTH

Edit - But as Rob says, there may be an argument that you are getting all new doors out of this.

Chimaera
06-09-2006, 12:34
Try here: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ or ring 08454 04 05 06. :)

basa
06-09-2006, 13:32
I'm not an expert, but a few suggestions -
1. Don't bank any cheque they have already sent you

Not even got that far yet, they made the offer over the phone and I told them to stick it (nicely) .... but send me in writing anyway - proof of liability ;)

2. Start with a letter explaining why the large figure (similar to above) and give them a deadline to respond (14 days). State that if they don't, you will be seeking legal advice with a view to a small claims court case.

As part of my claim I wrote to them explaining fully & exactly what happened and how, what the damage was, why I cannot just buy replacement doors, a copy of the B&Q catalogue highlighting the doors I chose (no, not the most expensive !! ;) ) and my builders estimate for fitting.

Edit - But as Rob says, there may be an argument that you are getting all new doors out of this.

That is what they are saying, but I don't want all new doors just replace the damaged ones, but as they don't make them anymore what can I do .. and they know all this :(

I think my first step is my household Insurers .. but that will be embarrassing as I have only just settled a claim for my daughters stolen Nintendo DS (another story) :disturbd: