PDA

View Full Version : Problems Connecting to Ntl

shere
04-09-2006, 16:11
Hi, my broadband connection has been working finr up until recently.

Whenever I try to connect I get the message 'AQURING NETWORK ADDRESS', I've tried switching the modem off/on and renewing the ip address. Sometimes it does connect with the ip address 86.20.***.***, subnet mask 255.255.252.0, default gateway 86.20.***.*. When I open IE it says that its connected but doesnt open the wep page. I cant ping an address outisde NTL i.e www.msn.com apart from www.ntl.com. Ntl have reported that they have no problems. I've tried using the usb cable and that also is having the same problems aquiring the ip address.

Any ideas please?

It bizarre becasue mysystem has not chnaged at all and NTL not being helpful.

Thanks

Paul K
04-09-2006, 16:16
Any firewalls or routers in between the PC and modem?

shere
04-09-2006, 16:26
Hi, there is nothing. Modem is going straight in to the back of the computer.

Is the ip address correct?

What could be the problem?

shere
06-09-2006, 07:58
can anyone else offer me assistance with this please?

ben1390
06-09-2006, 10:27
Have you tried turning off the modem and PC. starting up the modem and waiting until it has fully started then starting the PC :)

JoshGrey
10-09-2006, 13:26
Hi, my broadband connection has been working finr up until recently.

Whenever I try to connect I get the message 'AQURING NETWORK ADDRESS', I've tried switching the modem off/on and renewing the ip address. Sometimes it does connect with the ip address 86.20.***.***, subnet mask 255.255.252.0, default gateway 86.20.***.*. When I open IE it says that its connected but doesnt open the wep page. I cant ping an address outisde NTL i.e www.msn.com (http://www.msn.com) apart from www.ntl.com (http://www.ntl.com). Ntl have reported that they have no problems. I've tried using the usb cable and that also is having the same problems aquiring the ip address.

Any ideas please?

It bizarre becasue mysystem has not chnaged at all and NTL not being helpful.

Thanks

Hi Shere...

you said that you could reach the ntl page but nothing else - is that correct?

Were you referring to the ordinary corporate ntl page or perhaps the nlt registration page?

Failing that, you mentioned that you are connected to your modem via a USB cable - correct? Do you have the option to true an ordinary network cable instead?

Double check your TCP/IP settings and make sure that you are still set to "obtain an IP address automatically".

Lastly, you might want to try the following order for reboots (this follows on from the last post I think)

1. Switch off and fully power-down your PC.
2. Switch off and fully power down you router (I'm not sure if you're using one but this step is just in case - skip it if you're not using a router)
3. Switch off and fully power down your modem - ideally physically disconnect it from the mains.
4. Leave everything off for at least 1 minute.
5. Power on the modem. Wait at least 1 minute.
6. Power on the router (if you're using one). Wait for at least 1 minute.
7. Power on your PC.

Hope that this helps. Good luck.