PDA

View Full Version : Next year's Live pricing (US)

Tezcatlipoca
29-06-2003, 16:09
(Thanks to Ryan for the URL)

http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/About/About-NewLivePricing.htm

Xbox Live: What Will It Cost in Year Two?

Ever since November 15, gamers have been talking about how much Xbox Live will cost when the initial year subscriptions run out. Would Microsoft get everyone hooked the first year and then jack up the price? The good news is no way! As addictive as Xbox Live is, the cost of a one-year subscription remains $49.99.

What about Xbox Live service month-to-month, or an Xbox Communicator sold separately? Last month, the new prices (which will go into effect this fall) were announced, and we've got all the skinny. Read onâ₠¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦

Xbox Live Subscription Renewal †“ $49.99 for One Year
If you're already playing on Xbox Live, a year's subscription will still cost only $49.99! You read that rightÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â‚¬Âno price hike for Year Two. Last year, in honor of the big launch we threw great freebies into your Starter Kit, such as demo games and the fabulous Xbox Communicator. This year, subscribers have lots more Xbox Live enabled games (100 by next spring!) to choose from and more people to play with (over 350,000 Xbox Live subscribers!). Subscribers also get killer new Xbox Live features that will use "Xbox Live Now" (an improved Dashboard, including voice support), "Xbox Live Web" (the super cool new Xbox Live Web site that lets you check your stats online and see who's online playing games), and even your cell phone or PDA to keep you hooked into your game 24/7!

Xbox Live Monthly Rate †“ $5.99 per month
At last! A way to get Xbox Live service a month at a time! This is perfect for college students who only play in the dorms (or just when they're home for the summer). It also works great for military gamers who may be deployed for unknown lengths of time (so far, no high-speed Internet service on aircraft carriers or in the desert). What's the damage? Just $5.99! Yup, for the price of a supersized combo meal and an apple pie thingy you can rock on Xbox Live all month long.

Xbox Live Communicator †“ $29.99
Did the dog chew yours up? Want a spare for when friends visit? Whatever your motivation, you'll be able to score the headset for just $29.99. Just about everyone agrees that voice capability is the all-time supreme feature of Xbox Live, and you can keep the online chatter going for less than the price of your Sports Illustrated subscription.

So that's the price tag on Live service next year. We think you'll agree that Xbox Live will continue to offer a whole lot of bang for your buck!

What do people think?

If they're keeping it the same in the US, plus adding the option of a (more expensive) monthly payment, then I guess they'll do the same here. (sounds like the communicator is gonna be bought seperately though, but that won't affect those of us already with XBL)

e.g. keep the annual sub at £40/year, plus have a pay per month option of...£5/pcm?

Sounds OK to me.

I can't see them raising the annual sub over here - they're not raising it in the US, & they wouldn't really have any justification unless they introduced loads more dedicated X-servers & so on.

Jarandco
29-06-2003, 16:14
That was announced ages ago! (behind! :D)

There was a lso a survey on xbox.co.uk asking about how much people would be prepared to pay it ranged from 49.989 a year to 34.99 a year and 5.99 a month. It also asked about ways of "topping up" your xbox live accounts with options such as top up crad that you could buy in shops, direct debits credit cards and all of that!

kronas
29-06-2003, 16:17
i think the payment system should be made easier for younger people who dont have credit cards and the parents who wont let them use theres..............

Tezcatlipoca
29-06-2003, 16:19
Originally posted by Jarandco
That was announced ages ago! (behind! :D)

DOH! :dunce:

Jarandco
29-06-2003, 16:22
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca
DOH! :dunce:

But good idea for posting it i never thought of that!:rolleyes:

Emperordalek
29-06-2003, 16:42
Well I got my live kit half price (£20) when I bought a game, and I have no intentions of paying Microsoft another £40 for next years subs.

I will cancel the current one when its up and then buy a second Live pack cheap from somewhere.

It's not as there even providing servers and with the PS2 online service being free I begrudge the extra cost.

Anyway if Xbox Live starts flagging it will probably be reduced in price or made free as it is.

Tezcatlipoca
29-06-2003, 17:04
What's wrong with £40/year? Only £3.33/month! That's nothing.

Don't think you'll be able to get a cheap live pack after your 1st year is up: If the prices in the UK follow the US, then a renewal sub will cost £40, while a new starter kit (sub plus headset plus demos) will cost £60ish.

XBL start flagging? No chance.

PS2 Online: Yep, it's free...at the moment. But Sony have said already though that subs are inevitable (I'll try & find the link to the interview). Also - it's an open system & there's the potential for cheating (although DNAS may sort this out), plus even if Sony don't charge people subs, the various game publishers could easily introduce charges per game (I'm sure EA will).

kronas
29-06-2003, 17:07

PS2 Online: Yep, it's free...at the moment. But Sony have said already though that subs are inevitable (I'll try & find the link to the interview). Also - it's an open system & there's the potential for cheating (although DNAS may sort this out), plus even if Sony don't charge people subs, the various game publishers could easily introduce charges per game (I'm sure EA will).

thats for everquest sony will charge for it but its up to the developers to charge if they want its up to them EA will charge for there sports titles

Tezcatlipoca
29-06-2003, 17:09
Exactly. I'd rather pay a few quid per month & play Wolfie, MM3, plus Halo2, PGR2 etc when out, than have no sub but pay a seperate fee for each game on the PS2.

kronas
29-06-2003, 17:19
Exactly. I'd rather pay a few quid per month & play Wolfie, MM3, plus Halo2, PGR2 etc when out, than have no sub but pay a seperate fee for each game on the PS2.

yep true much cheaper depends on what games the individual prefers though

zoombini
30-06-2003, 11:32
I'll pay what I paid for the previous subscription, but I wont pay any more.

I do not think that MS etc has provided enough from thier end
for it.
The model of having the servers be the users does not work too well, lag is a big problem.

If I get the option of buy a new subscription at a lower price and have to make an alternative tag, or pay lots more to keep the same one I think I will be calling myself Z00mbini or zoom bini
etc...