PDA

View Full Version : Strange phone behaviour.

Repetition
03-09-2006, 19:25
I make a call... talk... then, upon hanging up, my phone rings!

It's not a "brrrrrr, brrrrrr"... like someone is calling.... just one long ring which fades and dies after 30 secs to a minute.

It did it a couple of months back.... then cured itself after a couple of weeks. Now it's started up again.

Any ideas? TY

Graham M
03-09-2006, 19:32
If it's causing a problem, ring CS :)

Hugh
03-09-2006, 19:35
Have you tried plugging another phone in, to check if it is a handset or a line/connection problem?

Repetition
03-09-2006, 20:59
Yep.... tried another phone.... same result.

I got the spare from a friend who's a BT engineer... and he's never encountered such a thing.

When the ONE person who also has an NTL landline calls me... it only rings for about half a second even though, from his end, he's calling for a typical amount of time. Calls from non NTL landlines and mobiles ring as normal. Mebbe it's just a big NTL screw-up around the Salisbury area.

Jules
03-09-2006, 21:15
Sounds like you have a fault on the line

a good help
04-09-2006, 21:42
likely cause is a faulty extension wire, go to the master socket and remove the face plate, then call the line listen and hang up then see if the continious ringing is still there? as others said above have you also tried another handset, if you do those and you still have the issue then i would call customer services, but do remove the extensions to ensure that you prove the fault is external, if you have say ex BT extension sockets that are now connected to the NTL line and a engineer comes to the house and finds that they are the cause of the fault, then you could be liable to a £25 service charge.

jaycee
07-09-2006, 13:27
It could very well be a faulty master box. If it was a faulty extension wire, you would get no ringing at all. The other possibility is that the line card in the cabinet is faulty.

As you have a BT engineer for a friend, get him to connect his "butt set" to your line, and then ring it. If it rings clearly and perfectly, the fault is your master box (the reason is, the butt set gets its ring signal directly from the pair, instead of from the ring signal generated by the master box).

jaycee
09-09-2006, 19:32
Another thought occurred to me. This could be faulty call waiting/ring back on your line. This is definitely due to line card damage and needs the attention of an engineer.