PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten cable modem password!

J@ffa
02-09-2006, 13:36
So, I've forgotten the password for my NTL home 200 cable modem. I know root/root or admin/admin is the default, but I changed it and stupidly forgot it! If I do press the reset button, is it liable to mess up my connection? The modem is connected through a router and I think the MAC address had to be explicitly set somewhere - is this liable to change if I reset it? Also, will I be able to access it once reset through my wireless connection? It goes into a router first, then into a wireless base station... do I have to be directly connected to it for it to work once reset?

Bill C
02-09-2006, 14:07
So, I've forgotten the password for my NTL home 200 cable modem. I know root/root or admin/admin is the default, but I changed it and stupidly forgot it! If I do press the reset button, is it liable to mess up my connection? The modem is connected through a router and I think the MAC address had to be explicitly set somewhere - is this liable to change if I reset it? Also, will I be able to access it once reset through my wireless connection? It goes into a router first, then into a wireless base station... do I have to be directly connected to it for it to work once reset?

You cannot change the password with a reset. If you have lost the password you are in a word stumped. You will need to talk to NTL and ask them to change the modem.

J@ffa
02-09-2006, 14:11
That kind of sucks :(

Edit: Woah, I just managed to guess what it was! :D :D :D

Graham M
02-09-2006, 14:14
Why bother changing the Modem password anyway?

AntiSilence
02-09-2006, 14:30
I can understand changing your router password, but not the modems :confused:

quadplay
02-09-2006, 14:33

That's lucky. I'd suggest you change it back to the default and leave it there this time! ;)

SnoopZ
02-09-2006, 14:34

Change it back to root/root now.

J@ffa
02-09-2006, 14:49
I did change it back. The reason I changed it originally is just that I have a thing about insecure networks. If encryption's available, passwords, etc, I'll turn it on in any program. I know the modem's settings are only available internally, but I'm still suspicious, so... :O root/root it is now, though! Thanks for warning me though, I'd have resetted it and messed things right up otherwise.