PDA

View Full Version : Going back to ntl after disconnection, modem probs?

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 17:29
Hi there,

A while ago, due to financial difficultes and loss of job i ran into problems with my ntl bill. I was disconnected.

Now things are rosey again i have paid ntl the money back that i owed them and also paid to re connect again. I havent been switched back on yet as they said it could take a few days to be turned on, i gave them my mac address as requested for my ntl 200 modem.

The problem however is that im worried that my modem may be not working. The reason for this is that when i was initially disconnected from ntl, i had a friend come round to look at it, ithought it was my comuter. ANyway, he come round and messed about with my modem settings, namely the 'set search parameters' in the modem set up. He deleted all the numbers in the boxes and then left it once i rang ntl and they confirmed i had been cut off.

Does anyone know if these settings wil return when i get 'switched on' again?

Thanks for any help

Fingy
01-09-2006, 17:45
If you account was disconnected you will need a new account set up, this will involve by the sounds of it a 1 man crew coming out to connect a new modem and check the signal levels. You will also be provided with a new pin number for registration.

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 18:15
well no, i thought that but they asked for my old mac address of this cable modem that i have already. The nice girl on the phone said that they were going to email nottingham? reconnections to reconnect me

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

can anyone help? are ntl having me on? can they reconnect me like that - or do they have to come up with a new modem etc?

Toto
01-09-2006, 19:09
well no, i thought that but they asked for my old mac address of this cable modem that i have already. The nice girl on the phone said that they were going to email nottingham? reconnections to reconnect me

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

can anyone help? are ntl having me on? can they reconnect me like that - or do they have to come up with a new modem etc?

They can reconnect you just like that.

Once you have a signal to your place, they can register your old MAC address back into the system. Time will only tell if the settings your firend changed will have an impact on you getting the service.

Good to hear you are back on your feet financially.

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 19:24
thankyou for your kind words and help mate.

homealone
01-09-2006, 19:39
on my cable modem, (ntl:home 100), the number in 'set search parameters' is the same as the 'downstream frequency' shown on the downstream status screen & it is set to 'valid channel' :)

Fingy
01-09-2006, 20:16
Ok. I am more than happy for you to prove me wrong, but it sounds very unlikely that it will happen that way. :shrug:

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 20:23
i know what your saying mate, in the past when i was with ntl i had a problem where they lost my account details one month out of the blue (i wasnt behind in my subscription, it was just an error) and they had to send a new cable modem and i had to return the old one back with the engineer. Thats what sounded strnge to me as then i asked if they could just switch me back on and cs told me that they couldnt as they were setting me up as a new customer and therefore couldnt just 'switch me back on'

anyway, my bb isnt back on yet but ive plugged my computer in to my cablemodem and ran ipconfig and i get this ip address 86.7.176.88 my gateways is 86.7.176.1

swoop101
01-09-2006, 21:11
Try this:

login root/root
click on tools (top right)
reset defaults

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 21:43
sorry mate, thanks for the help but i dont have any 'tools' section
it does say Cable Modem Information
Factory Configuration on the left, but i cant click on it

swoop101
01-09-2006, 21:52
have you clicked on 'login' and inserted root in both the user/password boxes?

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 22:11
here is my screen:

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/modem.7e6.th.JPG (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=modem.7e6.JPG)

homealone
01-09-2006, 22:22
ooh nasty usb stuff, eww ;)

- seriously, get a 'proper' network connection, not one emulated via usb, a network card is so cheap, it really is a 'no brainer' :)

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 22:29
eh?

i am using ethernet, always have

well unless you mean something else, im connecting to my cablemodem using an ethernet cable into my ethernet port on my pc.

is that right? or am i doin something wrong

homealone
01-09-2006, 22:46
eh?

i am using ethernet, always have

well unless you mean something else, im connecting to my cablemodem using an ethernet cable into my ethernet port on my pc.

is that right? or am i doin something wrong

yours is the screenie with the usb addy obscufated, you tell me ;)

fatlip180
01-09-2006, 22:50
i just did :) i use the ethernet cable, i always have. i blanked all the mac addresses out because of things ive heard about mac address being stolen etc etc.